Let’s admit it: The Gi had gotten ridiculous

he doesn’t even train nogi and he just dominated a nogi superfight

A lot of this so school specific. Even instructor specific. I recently changed schools after moving and I am really soaking up stuff from this new instructor. None of it is super complicated lasso guard stuff, it’s really just solid basic shit presented in a new way.

At my old school we had the old guys who taught similar to this new coach. Then we had a young guy start teaching and half of his classes were leg locks. Then a guy moved here from Canada and had a lot of super sneaky technical things. Then the latest student to come up through the ranks and start teaching is teaching this lasso guard stuff.

It’s just a progression. I don’t really care for it tbh. I prefer the rock solid fundamentals to having some inverted reverse de la Riva donkey guard. Don’t get me wrong, there are some super technical positions where it’s nice to have a trick or two up your sleeve but the gi tactics have gotten a little goofy and very far removed from anything even slightly resembling something that would work in a fight. I’d rather have a Rodgers Gracie style game of being the best at a few key moves than have the world’s best donkey guard.

1 Like

All I know is if you don’t train against strikes, you’re probably not any good at defending strikes.

If you don’t train takedowns, you’re probably not any good at takedowns.

And if a BJJ player wants to “apply” their martial art in a fight, they need both those things.

BUT, you can still be an elite sport BJJ player without either of those skills.

Seeing how many critical elements of fighting one can get away without having, is not a good plan.

1 Like

I’m okay with almost all aspects of the Gi!

But there’s just something about someone grabbing the end of my belt and wrapping their foot in it. Or purposely opening my Gi up so they can manipulate the bottom of it.

Even as a sport it’s just so stupid. Who got into BJJ to do that?

There needs to be rules against it. If you can manipulate my belt and use it for leverage I should be able to choke you with my belt. But why is that banned?

1 Like

Whenever they teach those techniques that involve loosening the opponents gi bottom to use as a handle, I figure the teacher can’t think of anything useful to teach for that class. I think how useful it would be to have a private where a teacher is correcting my terrible sweeps from the bottom, and instead I am being taught something that only works on a jacket & isn’t practical in self defense.

1 Like

They do stupid crap like wrapping lapel or belt and aggressively attacking your legs…but you the bad guy for rape or face choking them to the bolivians and facelocking them!!!

1 Like

I like half nude gi, where you and your opponent flip a coin. Heads means keep the gi top (and only the gi top). Tails means only pants (hence shirtless). It’s a pretty big hit round these parts.

1 Like

You guys wear pants?

2 Likes

100%. Boxing would be better for self-defense than 95% of all BJJ instruction these days. And I’m a BJJ black belt…and a lousy boxer.

2 Likes

Only if Heads

1 Like

That’s my take; instead of spending all that time to master your 5th attack series from the lapel guard, why not spend some time on basic wrestling & striking so that you are more functional in an actual fight?

As a result, maybe you won’t have QUITE as deep knowledge of pure sport BJJ, but you will be FAR better prepared for a fight.

A little boxing and a little wrestling go a long way.

6 Likes

Last year, I had a sub section of beginner students that had NO interest in learning bjj that would be relevant for a fight. They wanted to learn only for sport. In fact, the very notion of learning how to use bjj in a fight “creeped” them out. They had poor fundamentals and were obsessed with worm guard and such (could not do worm guard anyways, they were too inexperienced overall)

1 Like

Agreed. A good single leg goes a long way, in a grappling match or a real fight.

I think it’s even more basic than that. Today, how many jiu jitsu schools even address strikes? Yet, those same schools will spend a ton of time on seven step moves that involve spider guard. So, if you get in 100 street fights/self-defense situations, how many times would you be faced with spider guard or have the opportunity to use spider guard? I’d say that number would be zero. Yet, in 100 such encounters, how many times would you have to deal with your opponent trying to punch your face in? That number would be 100. So, how much sense does it make, if one is trying to learn to defend one’s self, that you practice situations that you will NEVER face and you NEVER practice situations you are SURE to face?

1 Like

Gi is irrelevant and a waste of time

I think that is going TOO far…

If you don’t know how to quickly and efficiently break clothing grabs, that could be a real detriment to you in a fight. While Worm Guard doesn’t have much practical use in the real world, people sometimes DO get rag dolled by their clothes in fights. Knowing how to counter that immediately is a great skill to have.

3 Likes

No itxs not a waste. I’ve done a lot of controlling and smasbing people wearing uniform blouses and gear, and know what I could do to throw, turn, drive and pull someone into, over or through obstacles.

One of my partners is 250lbs cop and strong, not many people are moving him…he cant stop me from putting him where I want if he wears anything resembling a gi. Think of all the homeless and hoodlums in seattle you could put ovrrr a curb, railing, fire hydrant, etc.

1 Like

I don’t train but I always thought no-gi made far more sense

Fighting on the beach for sure. I can’t tell you how many times I got into fights at the beach when I was a kid. Too many times to count. Drop in on my wave and catch cracks in the sand

1 Like

All I know is I enjoy scrapping with men and women at nude beaches across the globe. Great fun is great!

2 Likes