Let's compare Anderson and Shogun's biggest wins

Anderson

1. Dan Henderson
2. Forrest Griffin
3. Rich Franklin

Shogun

1. Lyoto Machida (Beat Franklin)
2. Rampage (Beat Henderson)
3. Chuck Liddell (Beat Tito 2X who is 1-1 with Forrest)

Shogun has clearly beat the superior competition in Machida, Rampage, Liddell, Lil Nog, Overeem 2X, Arona, Coleman, and is only 28 years old! Anderson is 35!

How is there any debate that Shogun is not pound for pound better when he clearly is?

LOL, congrats on using Mmath. Mmath is sooooo 2005.

Let me fix this for you.

Anderson

1)Dan Henderson
2)A slow as fuck Forrest Griffin
3)Rich Franklin x2 when he was dominating

Shogun
1)Machida when nuthuggers considered him one of the P4P best.
2)Rampage
3)Overeem twice
4)KOed Arona
5)Lil Nog
6)Liddell

Anderson has fought SLOW fighters with lacking striking skills his whole UFC career. VERY overrated. Give him someone like Vitor and watch him get KTFO. I guarantee it. Just like how I knew Shogun was gonna brutally knock out Macheata, I know Vitor will knock out Anderson.

randleman is another top dog shogun beat

Mat_burn - randleman is another top dog shogun beat

You're pushin' it, pal.

okay mabye not top but extremely tough and best wrestler ever in mma and shogun had zero problem

Well, he did almost kill my man.

Listen when Anderson was fighting Jorge Rivera and Curtis Stout in Cage Rage, Shogun was ripping through the most stacked tournament in the history of MMA.

Anderson is 35?

Not only does he not look like 35, whoever he fights he seems to 'adjust' to their height.

THE SPIDER.

Devlyn - Anderson is 35?

Yes.

He is also 11-0 in the UFC and has record for most title defenses. And, not 1 of his fights have been close.

not true chris leben was very close!!!!

jk im bored

I think you guys aren't realizing my point completely here. By showing only the top 3 wins from both guys, even in limiting Shogun's wins to those 3, he still comes out ahead of Anderson. He's obviously way ahead with quality wins, but even when you reduce it to his 3 greatest wins, he still trumps Anderson. Impressive!

Poopyface TomatoNose - I think you guys aren't realizing my point completely here. By showing only the top 3 wins from both guys, even in limiting Shogun's wins to those 3, he still comes out ahead of Anderson. He's obviously way ahead with quality wins, but even when you reduce it to his 3 greatest wins, he still trumps Anderson. Impressive!

Or, perhaps. There are just more impressive fighters at 205 than at 185.

Perhaps a lot of the fighters anderson has beat up would be "bigger wins" had he not KO'ed them back into mediocrity.

Everybody he has beat recently has entered with long 4+ fight winning streaks, and he just buzzsaws them back to average.

This thread raises a very interesting and meaningful point.

No way has Shogun been "greater" overall than Anderson, since Anderson has been FAR more consistently dominant and great over the last 4 years. But Shogun has still definitely beaten absolutely better opponents than Anderson has - i.e., better on a straight-up, absolute level.

Lyoto, Rampage, Li'l Nog, Arona, Alistair 2x, and even past-prime Chuck would generally be favored to straight-up beat Hendo, Forrest, Franklin, Marquardt, Maia, and Horn - who are the absolute best guys that Anderson has ever beaten. (Yes, Sakurai was the undisputed #1 WW at the time, and a hugely significant win - but on an absolute level, Sakurai would straight-up lose to those others for being too small.)

Factor in the fact that Shogun is not even really bigger than Anderson, and Shogun's absolutely better wins hold even more meaning, and are even more impressive.

Again, overall, Anderson has been definitively greater than Shogun because of his consistent supremacy these last 4 years. But Shogun really has beaten the more absolutely formidable opponents - while being a similarly sized fighter.