Let's talk about Liborio

Can you feel the PRESSSSSUUUUREEE?

UP!

Just bumped the liborio thread on the ug for you Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man! VU

That was fun to watch. He's old school and old school is the best school. Try a wacky guard on him and he'd crush you. Phone Post 3.0

I can't believe Liborio is going to compete against Sperry.

I'm so divided: One part of me is so excited to see these two living legends go head to head. The other part of me is sad to see one of these two former Carlson Gracie Team fighters lose to the other.

This is going to be crazy.

MickColins - That was fun to watch. He's old school and old school is the best school. Try a wacky guard on him and he'd crush you. Phone Post 3.0

truth

Eric Burdo - I can't believe Liborio is going to compete against Sperry.

I'm so divided: One part of me is so excited to see these two living legends go head to head. The other part of me is sad to see one of these two former Carlson Gracie Team fighters lose to the other.

This is going to be crazy.
I'd kill to see sparring at the old carlson gym. Wasn't liborio known as the man? Phone Post 3.0

I'll tell Cole about this thread. He's been training with Libo on a regular basis for the last couple weeks. Phone Post 3.0

Can someone repost the vid? Link doesn't work for me. Phone Post 3.0

A_Butler - Can someone repost the vid? Link doesn't work for me. Phone Post 3.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNMt9fKlYU

he makes it look so easy

I'm gonna post one of him working me soon. It's ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0

ColeMillerATT - I'm gonna post one of him working me soon. It's ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0

Please do! 

What would you say is his strength?

Transition to armbar at 2:13...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

is beautiful fren

That was amazing and just beautiful to watch!!!

Just a couple of quotes from the Liborio thread;

Charles McCarthy
"He is as good as it gets and a very nice and intelligent guy too
Liborio is the best I have rolled with and I have rolled with some of the best in the world. Marcelo is second best :)"

Wade Rome
"I will put in my two cents here because Liborio is like a god on the mat. I know no other way to express it than that. I have rolled with and competed against some of the best grapplers on the planet and nobody even comes close. A quick story .... Jeff Monson and myself were training for the Arnold's last year. Liborio showed up to actually roll with us to help. He racked up 17 submissions between Jeff and I (about even) in 20 minutes of training and then said "you guys are too damn strong for me". I rarely get subbed, even in the practice room, and that is a solid statement about Jeff as well. However, when you are training with Liborio it is not IF it is How Long Until. On a closing note, i will not name names but i have seen him destroy the best fighters and grapplers in the world without any dificulty. Liborio is a spectacle to be witnessed and I am honored to be associated with and learn from him."

Thiago ATT
"before i started training with liborio,i always heard about him liborio is famous in brazil since he was a blue belt,i heard many people saying that liborio tapped many black belts when he was just a blue belt. plus when people saw his name on the bracket they pull out of the tournaments,when liborio won the worlds champioship as black belt he was considered the most technical fighter in the worlds"

Marcos da Matta (Parrumpinha)
"Well, I was waiting till everybody post their thoughts about Liborio, so I could make a true statement about him. Lets put this way: I was at Carlson school since 1987 and I saw many, many good guys arrive there and TAP like white belts to Liborio. I wont say names, cus it wouldnt be cool, but I can guarantee to all of you that HE TAPPED EVERYBODY AT CARLSON'S: World Champions, Abu Dhabi Champions, MMA Veterans,all of them preparing for their tournamnets(which means IN SHAPE). The funny part is the fact that Liborio keeps off trainig for like 2 or 3 months and THEN he comes and kicks everybody's ass. Just like that. Is that enough?"

czocchi98
"my instructor marcelo mello , used to train with at the old carlson gym, told me a story that liborio was hurt and didnt train and at the time mario sperry was winning championships .. liborio came back from his injury and just schooled sperry .. marcelo said , mario was so mad just left the gym"

jeff monson
"I have grappled many of the best grapplers in the world at abu dhabi and different competitions and the most accurate statement i can make about liborio is that he is on a different level than anyone i have ever rolled with or competed against. not 'he's better'; no he is a different level. a lot of times you hear how "great" someone is everyone kind of rides their jock until that really find out how good they are. i cannot exaggerate how much that this man is a phenom. when i have practiced with liborio it is a matter of survival. not survival like not getting tapped. survival like not getting tapped so many times and so completely dominated that at the end you're convinced you are terrible. even worse he comes in after not training for months, walks on the mat, destroys you, then leaves saying how he can't compete with the young guys anymore. i would never train with him close to upcoming match because he would ruin any confidence i had going in. thats the facts jack."

Mike Brown
"I've rolled with the Liborio and I thought it was kind of a waste of time because he can do what-ever he wants, when-ever he wants. I've rolled with guys who can do this in some positions, but Liborio felt like this in every postion"

Quick story about Liborio:

My instructor came from Brazil to teach at a local martial arts school. The instructor is a notorious dirtbag but my instructor did not know this at the time. They agreed on a livable wage and my instructor moved to the US. When he got here, he started getting checks from the guy but they were really short...like he couldn't survive short. So my instructor quit. He got a lawyer and started trying to figure out a way he could stay in the US. He started teaching at other facilities but couldn't make that much money and couldn't find someone to sponsor him.

One day, he went to his lawyer to tell her he had exhausted all his options and he was going to have to return to Brazil. She said something to the effect of "Your sponsor already signed all the paperwork." He looked at her crazy and told her that he didn't have a sponsor. He looked at the paperwork and Liborio had agreed to be his sponsor. They had rarely trained together in Brazil but Liborio knew how technical he was and his skill as a competitor. They have been good friends since.

My respect for Liborio as a person grew immensely when my instructor told me that story. (story may be a little off but that is how I remember it being told)

http://youtu.be/oCSnMMqf47w?t=1m16s

He sure seems to have that old school real basic stuff. Like Roger.

One of the best around and a BJJ guy I would train with in a heartbeat...even in Gi BJJ if that's all he wanted to do.

Good dude who I am glad to call friend.

Josh

1 Like