Light Contact MMA Tournament!!!

That's cool if you guys don't agree. This competition is not for everyone. :)

"Hey...He just hit me hard!!"

How many points for tickling?

Light Contact MMA makes NO SENSE...

"tickling"

LOL

That may be a rules infraction. This is not the Gay Olympics.

Nice concept in theory...doesn't work in practice though. The problem becomes that different judges have different ideas about what constitutes light contact; resulting in a range of interpretations happening throughout the competition. What this means for competitors is that in one match you get away with hitting your opponent in a certain way, and in another match you will be called/warned/penalized for hitting that same way. Competitors end up 'second-guessing' what they are allowed to do, which in turn, affects their performance negatively.

James, what type of turn out are you expecting for this division? Are
you not worried about the wantabe fighter getting hurt? How good are
the refs that will be out there on the mat. I hope you are using a real
ref. that has lots of experience doing MMA. What about insurance
concerns? What is the age cut off? Is this a way of making more
money for your event? Is the State com. involved? I hope that it
goes well, but I worry that if might hurt our sport with your local fans.

Always remember that the only way that the sport will make it is with
the FANS......

should be interesting, if I wasn't 2500 miles away I would show up

James, in a NAGA, Judo or BJJ event the competitor may use full Judo
throws, like Uki-goshi, Ogoshi, Ippon seoi nage, Osoto gari, Ouchi
gari, Iai Otoshi, Kosoto gari and more and never put there knee to the
ground. As a matter of fact the only one out of the previous throw
that you can use with your knee on the ground is Ippon seoi nage.

That makes it hard for a student to use anything except a single or
double leg.

"Light contact"? I agree with a lot of the above posters that it might be hard to judge this consitently (match by match, competitor to competitor and ref to ref). I also agree that you'll probably have the one or two dudes every tournament who just don't have any sense of control.

IMO, light contact should be kept for sparring in the gym... either for guys just starting out or for more seasoned people who cycle the intensity of their training(or need a couple days to recuperate after a few days of hard sparring).

Why not just use more established "amateur" rules, like old Pancrase (open palms to the head) or amateur Shooto (headgear and limited ground striking) or some combination of the above?

But hey, it's a free country.

" This is not the Gay Olympics."

NO BUT THIS IS A GAY EVENT. Who wants to have a win in this event on their record?
How do you even win?
You are going to have a big fat boring fight that will get stopped every 5 to 10 seconds.....
"Hey stop hitting so hard, guys"

"Hey guys, I'm warning you..."

"Hey, you lose a point for hitting him so hard"

"Okay now YOU lose a point for hitting so hard"

" Okay, break it up guys...you are really being naughty you two..."

"Hey, stooooooppppp..... Come onnnnnnnnnnnnn....."

YOU GET THE PICTURE.......

Rdragon,

"James, what type of turn out are you expecting for this division?"

-No idea.

"Are you not worried about the wantabe fighter getting hurt?"

-Of course I am worried about everyone's safety. This is why light contact, slam takedowns, and other infractions will be strongly enforced. If you don't think this event will be safe for your students, please ask them not to enter.

"How good are the refs that will be out there on the mat. I hope you are using a real ref. that has lots of experience doing MMA."

-I am trying to get Cam for this.

"What about insurance concerns?"

-NO WORRIES HERE.

"What is the age cut off?"

-This event is open to everyone who wants to enter.

"Is this a way of making more money for your event?"

-This question borders on the ludacrious (sp?). I have said it before and will say it again. Please hear me:

NO! THIS EVENT IS PRIMARILY TO OFFER A COMPETITIVE OUTLET TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT FIGHTERS.

"Is the State com. involved?"

-No. Is the State commission involved in NAGA or karate tournaments?

"I hope that it goes well, but I worry that if might hurt our sport with your local fans. Always remember that the only way that the sport will make it is with the FANS......"

• This event is not for the fans. THIS EVENT IS PRIMARILY TO OFFER A COMPETITIVE OUTLET TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT FIGHTERS. This event will be held at a time that the general public has not been made aware of. Fans are not being solicited to attend this event, with the exception of friends and family supporting competitors.

"James, in a NAGA, Judo or BJJ event the competitor may use . . ."

-A rule change here could be considered, based on the feedback of those who support the event, not Internet bashers.

mtan2:

"IMO, light contact should be kept for sparring in the gym..."

-So, your martial artists are competent enough to do this in training, but not in competition?

BillyRay:

"NO BUT THIS IS A GAY EVENT."

-Glad to hear your opinion. Please don't attend.

"Who wants to have a win in this event on their record?"

-This is not a real, full contact MMA fight. A win or loss will not be counted on records. THIS EVENT IS PRIMARILY TO OFFER A COMPETITIVE OUTLET TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT FIGHTERS.

-Thank you for bringing this to my thoughts, I will contact fcfighter.com to make sure that no one submits this for their database record.

"How do you even win?"

-Read the rules.

"You are going to have a big fat boring fight"

-This event is not for the fans. THIS EVENT IS PRIMARILY TO OFFER A COMPETITIVE OUTLET TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT FIGHTERS.

Mack:

"The problem becomes that different judges have different ideas about what constitutes light contact; resulting in a range of interpretations happening throughout the competition."

-The judges' job is not to be primarily concerned with contact. The ref's point deductions will be probably the only concern related to contact and the judges' decisions.

Good concerns, all.  However, it seems that many of you are missing the point of the competition. 

THIS EVENT IS PRIMARILY TO OFFER A COMPETITIVE OUTLET TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT FIGHTERS.

I think if you will place that thought firmly in your minds, you will have an easier time grasping the conceptual basis for this competition.

FYI:

Date:  Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:26:50 -0500 [05:26:50 PM EST]
To:  Database@FCFighter.com
Subject:  Winter Heat event, Valdosta, GA
Headers:  Show All Headers

I am promoting a martial arts event, Winter Heat, in Valdosta, GA, on 1/27.  I wanted you
to be aware that we have a morning tournament (the day of the real fight event) that will
also include a light contact mma division, as well as point kickboxing and submission
grappling.

The light contact mma division will not be real, sanctioned mma fights.  It is an event
for martial artists who primarily are not fighters.  It will have many limitations and
stipulations beyond the unified rules.

As I mentioned, we are having an evening fight card of real, ISCF sanctioned mma fights. 
I will personally send you the results of those matches for your database records.

So that your mma database records will be accurate, please do not accept information on
the results of Winter Heat matches from anyone other than myself, Matthew Waller, or
Steve Fossum/ISCF News for the records of your database.

thanks,
james corbett

Okay.....

Sorry for being so harsh.....

Good luck with your event.

James, I think it will work just fine based on your past day tournies. I think a lot of the detractors are missing the point and purpose and the only way they will change their opinions is to view the tourney. I will be glad to ref it.

Peace-
Cam

James, hope you do well with the event.