Lightweight Wants To Step In To Fight Chandler Because McGregor Fight Is 'Not Happening'

https://www.mmanews.com/news/ufc-lightweight-wants-to-step-in-to-fight-michael-chandler

1 Like

The clock seems to be ticking on UFC superstar Conor McGregor’s potential return to competition. When UFC President Dana White announced that McGregor would coach against Michael Chandler for The Ultimate Fighter Season 31, they were expected to fight. However, the new season starts on May. 30, but UFC has yet to announce a date for the potential McGregor and Chandler bout.

One of the main reasons for the hold-up is that McGregor is not in the USADA testing pool and would have to be in the program for six months. His critics suspect McGregor could be using banned substances, so he’s delaying cooperation with USADA. As of May. 11, he has still not received testing. If he wants to fight this year, he must enter the testing pool by the end of this month, which could make him eligible to fight in Dec.
Chandler’s fighting career has halted as he awaits a big fight against the Irish superstar. He is coming off a loss against Dustin Poirier by submission at UFC 281 on Nov. 12, 2022, so he is not in the conversation of fighting for the UFC Lightweight Championship. While it’s unclear if he will fight McGregor this year, another ranked lightweight has offered to take McGregor’s place.

Photo Credit: Handout Photo-USA TODAY Sports Grant Dawson Offers to Step In To Fight Michael Chandler

UFC lightweight Grant Dawson has thrown his name in the hat to fight Chandler later this year. Ranked 15 in the division and on a 10-fight win streak, Dawson could present an exciting challenge for the former UFC title challenger. He is slated to fight Damir Ismagulov at UFC on ESPN 48 on July. 1, which he is focused on. However, Dawson with MMAJunkie that he be willing to fight Chandler next.

“…I’m telling you right now, the Michael Chandler and Conor McGregor fight, that’s not going to happen. That’s not happening. I would be shocked if that fight happened this year or at all, so if somebody wants to keep Michael Chandler warm while he waits for his boy, I’m your guy,” said Dawson.When asked why he believes the McGregor vs. Chandler fight is not happening, he noted that he’s not in the testing pool and theorized why.

“…A lot of people have their eyes on it right now. A lot of people are going to be saying hey, he needs to be in the testing. That’s the whole talk. He’s not going to be in the testing pool. He thought he could go the Brock Lesnar way, and he’s realizing that he can’t. He was at bare-knuckle. Did you see him at bare-knuckle pulling those stunts? That was a stunt man; he’s trying to get past the rules. It’s not going to happen. USADA is not going to budge on their decision. It’s going to be six months. That fight not happening this year, and I don’t think that fight’s ever going to happen because Conor doesn’t want to get into the testing pool, if you know what I mean,” said Dawson.
McGregor is still teasing that he will make his UFC return. However, it’s unclear if Chandler is willing to potentially sit out the rest of the year to fight McGregor if he doesn’t enter the USADA testing pool by the end of May.

When you’re so irrelevant the headline refers to you as “lightweight” instead of your name.

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

6 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes

My dog knows who conor macgregor is. Relevancy in the fight game != relevancy in pop culture.

1 Like

My cat has beff with Conor McGregor

1 Like

Lol even on the UG you still attack the character rather than admit he’s talking truth

Arman vs Chandler

2 Likes

Bad fight for Chandler. Arman kills him with pace and Chandler would gas after 6-7 minutes

People seem upset that Conor isn’t coming back but they shouldn’t be

he’s one of the worst fighters on the UFC roster at this point

1 Like

I had to look him up. Quite honestly, they should have called him Catchweight instead of LW.

1 Like

conor-mcgregor-who-the-fuck-is-that-guy

1 Like

What truth? I’m not the journalist who wrote the article and decided he wasn’t important enough to name in the headline. This is on them.

But yet likely beats Chandler lol

Chandler wont fight any up and comers.
He hasnt even beaten anyone coming off of a win.
Super overrated with poor fight IQ.

1 Like

Mcgregor is handed his easiest opponent in the top 5 , low iq shopworn chandler and he still drops the ball. Dipshit

McGregor is expecting the Brock Lesnar treatment,but him & Dana do not have the same kind of relationship now.