'Like Water' can take the UFC mainstream

the speculation is that it's going to be released in US theaters early 2012 and which is potentially not long before silva/sonnen 2 depending on what the UFC can out together. now if the movies as good as some of the feedback from the festivals suggests, then Dana should use the network air time to PROMOTE THE SH*T out of it as it could create so many more mma fans that would be itching to see how the rest of the silva/sonnen saga plays out and take mma that bit closer to becoming mainstream! as a fan of both silva and sonnen the trailer for like water gives me goosebumps and I really think it's what mma needs to reach the people Phone Post

ufc is mainstream. as apple pie and roids, why else do you think mlb and nfl are gonna start testing for HGH and elementary schools are gonna start testing for TRT?

I don't think you understand the market realities of documentary films.

Documentaries don't do big business. Only one documentary has ever topped $100MM at the box office (Fahrenheit 9/11), and it is a gigantic outlier. Only four documentaries have cleared more than $25MM at the box office. Only fifteen documentaries have made as much as $10MM. Documentaries just don't have much commercial appeal.

A documentary film, no matter how great, is not going take the UFC mainstream.

likewater would sell

yomamafool - likewater would sell

Not in theaters. But hopefully it will be a great film for hardcore MMA films. I'm looking forward to this and the Evan Tanner doc. Hopefully they hit video soon... Phone Post

Documentaries hold more weight than they used to. Every year there are a handful of documentaries that get people talking. If they don't see it in theater, they're still talking about it.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Supersize Me. Religulous. All got people talking.

doesnt need to be in theaters,nobody does that shit anymore...it needs to be offered in with all the new releases in the on demand part of your cable,or whatever is similar (i have comcast)

Darth Ryase - Documentaries hold more weight than they used to. Every year there are a handful of documentaries that get people talking. If they don't see it in theater, they're still talking about it.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Supersize Me. Religulous. All got people talking.<br type="_moz" />

They all only appealed to people in limited circles. People who are into health and fitness talked about Bigger, Stronger, Faster and Super Size Me. Religilous did well among the atheist/agnostic crowd. None of them appealed to the 'mainstream'. That is why they all did under $15MM at the box office.

Steve4192 - 
Darth Ryase - Documentaries hold more weight than they used to. Every year there are a handful of documentaries that get people talking. If they don't see it in theater, they're still talking about it.

Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Supersize Me. Religulous. All got people talking.
They all only appealed to people in limited circles. People who are into health and fitness talked about Bigger, Stronger, Faster and Super Size Me. Religilous did well among the atheist/agnostic crowd. None of them appealed to the 'mainstream'. That is why they all did under $15MM at the box office.
Both statements above are true. I am proof of at least one of them.

atheist/agnostic crowd is mainstream. those that claim to be otherwise are about as likely to be pro mma players as most people you meet that claim to be these days. if you look at thier actions, not thier words.

The type of people who talk about documentaries aren't the same people at the mall in line at the movies. Almost as many people knew what those documentaries were as those who know what Twilight is.

They still had huge impacts. I mean shit, there was even a spin-off documentary of Supersize Me (Superhigh  Me, or something).

Documentaries make noise even if they don't do great numbers in movie theatres.

Steve4192 - I don't think you understand the market realities of documentary films.

Documentaries don't do big business. Only one documentary has ever topped $100MM at the box office (Fahrenheit 9/11), and it is a gigantic outlier. Only four documentaries have cleared more than $25MM at the box office. Only fifteen documentaries have made as much as $10MM. Documentaries just don't have much commercial appeal.

A documentary film, no matter how great, is not going take the UFC mainstream.

It may not make it go mainstream but it may help legitimise it further. Phone Post

Darth Ryase - The type of people who talk about documentaries aren't the same people at the mall in line at the movies. Almost as many people knew what those documentaries were as those who know what Twilight is.

They still had huge impacts. I mean shit, there was even a spin-off documentary of Supersize Me (Superhigh  Me, or something).

Documentaries make noise even if they don't do great numbers in movie theatres.<br type="_moz" />
you are making a lot of sense. arent you afraid you wont fit in?