Looking for a arm triangle escape video. Help....

A buddy of mine was at a tourney this weekend, an got caught in an arm triangle.

Someone from another school watching got him doing a backwards shoulder roll to escape.

My buddy said it took him a few tries, but it worked.

It's not an escape I'm familiar with. Can anyone hook me up with a link or even a better explanation for the technique?

Thanks. Phone Post 3.0

Something like this?:

Democrats and their lemmings right now be like

ggddcc - Something like this?:

/span>

I was actually going to post this. I'm the uke in the vid lol. This escape is money, pulled it off on guys over 200 consistently.

Nice thing about this particular escape   (posted by Jeremy above) is that it works best against the "belly flat on the mat" style of Arm Triangle Choke which BJJ people often feel is the strongest version on the choke. This escape actually teaches you that when your opponent's belly hits the ground, they are giving you an open door to a different kind of escape (A hip hesit type movement). People who are only familiar with the "grab your leg", "backward roll" or "sit up" type escapes, probably won't feel this same way, because to them, belly on the mat will feel REALLY strong. But, learning this escape might open their eyes to the disadvantage of somone going flat onto their stomach. Like so many things in BJJ, there's an inherent trade-off --in this case to putting your belly on the mat when you do an Arm Triangle Choke.

I actually have sort of a crack-pot theory about this whole topic...

I THINK (no proof here, lol) one reason why judoka historically did the Kata-gatame Shime/Arm Triangle Choke/ Head & Arm on one knee is because they understood the fact that you don't want your belly flat on the ground when you apply the choke; to them it was a tactical mistake. But somehow over time this hip heist method of escape was lost/ deemphasiszed/ misunderstood. Later, people --particularly in BJJ-- realized, "Hey, you know, the strangle IS a little tighter if I just lay down flat on my belly". Yes, It actually IS both tighter AND it's also easier to escape, if you use this type of hip heist method. I believe that is why early Judoka didn't teach Kata-gatame with the belly on the mat, but rather with a knee in the back, so they could transition.

Again, just a theory. --If somone has more information related to this theory, I would love to hear it!

perry hauck is a fat guy.

this is what you want starting about 8:00

^ Toats McGroats, bro... yeah. F@ck that guy.

sorry wrong link :

Its in this breakdown:

about 5 min in

bonez05 - sorry wrong link :

Its in this breakdown:

about 5 min in

Hey, don't sweat it bro, your deep knowledge and awesome contributions to the forum are always sincerely appreciated!

Thanks you guys. I'll look through these tonight. Phone Post 3.0

In... Phone Post 3.0

Thanks shen! I knew you would agree Phone Post 3.0

Shen, so by doing the kata gatame with the knee up, does that prevent the hip heist escape because the knee blocks the uke from turning in?

green_machine - Shen, so by doing the kata gatame with the knee up, does that prevent the hip heist escape because the knee blocks the uke from turning in?

It does make it harder for the guy on bottom to turn in --especially if guy on top is using his shoulder to push down through the guy on bottom's Triceps (as opposed to applying the strangle by putting his neck against uke's deltoid).  But the main thing the "knee up positioning"  does is that it allows the guy on top to maintain position; even if they lose the choke, they're still in Side Control.

Whereas, when the guy on top goes flat onto his belly to apply the strangle, there is very little to stop the hip heist. which means it's more likely the guy on top will get rolled or lose side control.

Awesome Shen. You're right. Most judokas apply kata gatame with the knee up and although I practice it that way I wouldn't have known what to say if someone asked me why I prefer knee up over belly down.  

Aaron Lapointe - 

Awesome Shen. You're right. Most judokas apply kata gatame with the knee up and although I practice it that way I wouldn't have known what to say if someone asked me why I prefer knee up over belly down.  

Yeah, it's kind of an interesting little topic.