Love me some Maia

FlowWithTheGo - Glad he's back on track. He had a really rough run for a while. Phone Post 3.0
He's on a 3 fight win streak, he lost to Weidman, then won 3 and lost a split to Shields and got beat by Rory. Nothing wrong with that IMO Phone Post 3.0

Fight of the night for me. Such a damn technician. The fact he is doing it on a 5 minute clock is amazing. If we had the Pride 10 minute first round he'd be so much more dominant.

Rock the Gaspare - What was Maia's sport BJJ game like? Phone Post 3.0
... Phone Post 3.0

Rock the Gaspare - What was Maia's sport BJJ game like? Phone Post 3.0

Amazing.

Robobear -

Amazing.

In detail I mean Phone Post 3.0

http://youtu.be/MWttDqauduE

Maia BJJ Phone Post 3.0

Maia HL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uit7qW3xNCU

WOW....

Haven't seen the fight but will find it today.
From reading though, it sounds like he is working on getting people to the ground rather than trying to improve his striking.
Good for him, I always thought that would be a better game plan for him Phone Post 3.0

Rock the Gaspare -
Robobear -

Amazing.

In detail I mean Phone Post 3.0
guard wise it was butterfly and half guard. x guard since he was from alliance. a killer single leg sweep and single leg takedown

killer triangle and back control. beat jacare as a brown belt, didnt win the worlds as a black as far as i know but won adcc obviously great nogi Phone Post 3.0

ChipW - Haven't seen the fight but will find it today.
From reading though, it sounds like he is working on getting people to the ground rather than trying to improve his striking.
Good for him, I always thought that would be a better game plan for him Phone Post 3.0

I think he's alway improving his striking, entries/setups to TDs, etc. However, he knows who his is, what his strengths are and what he believes is the best way to win a fight. It's a pleasure watching him fight.

Always love to see technical passing in MMA and Maia is the master. Seems like GSP showed that stalling in half guard top and ground and pounding rather than passing is very effective in MMA so you just don't see guys putting the effort into passing. Or, when a guy does pass there is too much space and the opponent shrimps and gets to his feet. We are lucky to have Jacare and Maia, but who is coming next? Phone Post 3.0

ChipW - Haven't seen the fight but will find it today.
So many grapplers/Bjj guys learn a little striking and fall in love with the idea of getting KOs and TKOs. Maia's style seems to be that his goal is to get you down and his takedowns have gotten better and better. Phone Post 3.0

Finally saw it. Impressive takedowns for sure and excellent mount retention

Interesting set up for the arm bar attempt, never seen that before. Phone Post 3.0

here is the fight on youtube on the UFC's channel. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNr3eqDUkfA&feature=youtu.be

I'm still not a fan of the way he turns toward the legs and passes 1/2 guard though... putting your elbow under the opponent's arm pit (and I don't think he's even staying high under the arm pit. He's down lower). I know Marcelo will do it that way if he stays dominant under the arm pit and keeps his weight moving back so he doesn't get mounted or back taken... I'm not sure Marcelo really does it that way in no gi though, since he's got nothing to belt/lapel to grab there

I love his BJJ. Clean and efficient. Almost reminds me of Rickson back in the day. His DVDs are great. I have both sets and they really do explain a lot of the science behind jiu jitsu. I love the little known fact that he does everything left handed for the most part. Attacking, passing, etc to your left side. Most people get used to training their strong side and neglect the other. It may seem silly but really is a great thing to be left handed sometimes Phone Post 3.0

Meatgrinder -

I'm still not a fan of the way he turns toward the legs and passes 1/2 guard though... putting your elbow under the opponent's arm pit (and I don't think he's even staying high under the arm pit. He's down lower). I know Marcelo will do it that way if he stays dominant under the arm pit and keeps his weight moving back so he doesn't get mounted or back taken... I'm not sure Marcelo really does it that way in no gi though, since he's got nothing to belt/lapel to grab there

Don't think Maia goes under the armpit tho, he goes over the top of the arm no? Phone Post 3.0