Luke Thomas: MMA media has a guilty conscience

MMA journalist, analyst, and radio host Luke Thomas appeared recently on SB Nation's The Insiders interview series, and argued that he and other MMA media members praise fighters because they collectively have a guilty conscience about the unfortunate lot of fighters in the sport..

“You have to fundamentally accept everyone, from manager to gatekeepers at the state commissions, promoters, to virtually everyone - they have the upper hand on fighters in almost every way,” said Thomas, as transcribed by Shakiel Mahjouri for BE. “We pay a lot of lip service [to fighters] and we do this dance to them and we exalt them. We exalt them with our words because I think we all know we have a guilty conscience for the way they are treated.“

“If you’re going to cover issues of substance, you have to operate under the context of what the reality tells you. And the reality tells you that the fighters are uniquely disadvantaged in virtually every case. If you accept that as your driving principal of coverage, that’ll take care of the problem in most cases.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcrK6_I-dak&feature=emb_title

0:41 - Most frustrating point to get across

4:11 - First impressions of Brian Campbell

5:48 - Creativity in MMA media

8:00 - UFC vs. fans vs. media

12:12 - How to help support fighters

19:51 - Departure from MMA Fighting

23:57 - The name “Bloody Elbow”

25:52 - Disagreements with Chael Sonnen, Brendan Schaub

28:26 - Making amends with Forrest Griffin

29:55 - Guilty pleasures

32:40 - Ranking Luke Thomas’ catchphrases

34:25 - Foreign Film recommendations

40:12 - Luke Thomas roasts Shak and The Insiders

I was an MMA journalist years ago, and I was surprised to see how much of a fan club it was. 

1 Like

Fuck off Luke Thomas

12 Likes

I’m the best guy in mma media, fuck Luke, fuck Ariel , fuck that Brit with the shit hair cut. Dana is my mate, Bellator is WCW. You can all suck my dick

Egomaniac 

Thats a whole lotta words to say very little. Fucking guy likes to hear himself talk.

2 Likes

Ranking luke Thomas' catchphrases? I'm pretty sure he's the only person who knows them and cares to rank them.

2 Likes

I often enjoyed listening to Luke.  He has become a complete insufferable egoist, however!  With the ease and depth of a Luke Thomas critique, I have just realized that I no longer give a shit to reply to the extent of his arrogant stupidity !

RichardSteel -

Fuck off Luke Thomas

He basically takes something random or stupid and converts it into a sentence with bigger words. 

"Journalism" is 2020

“And the reality tells you that the fighters are uniquely disadvantaged in virtually every case.”

What is he talking about here? Pay?

MMA "journalism" stopped being a thing when they ranked Lesnar #1 because Fedor lost to Werdum.

WhistleBlower completely eviscerated any legitimacy they had with his thread on the subject.

No one likes to suck their own dick more than Luke. 

I remember MMA journalism before it involved women “reporters” inviting fighters up to their hotel rooms for private “interviews” ... 

HELWIG -

MMA "journalism" stopped being a thing when they ranked Lesnar #1 because Fedor lost to Werdum.

WhistleBlower completely eviscerated any legitimacy they had with his thread on the subject.

whistleblower was overrated. but the fanboys will always have his legend to hang onto. 

ufc98newb - 
HELWIG -

whistleblower was overrated. but the fanboys will always have his legend to hang onto. 

he was a super-knowledgable source of info who kept the revisionists honest.

keep in mind that a small cluster of <400 thousand fans literally kept the sport alive during it's exodus from ppv by trading tapes and online forum discussion.

it was an amazing time that will never be recreated.

1 Like