Lumpini Stadium etc

Thanks for the vote of support, Mule. I really appreciate it.

What can I say? 99% of the time, I take pains to be as tactful and respectful as I can on this forum, but sometimes I can be a real serious asshole, too.

So, this one got away from me. I'm thoroughly *enjoying* the taste of my own foot now. ;)

Brooks (Khun Kao)

Wow is the longest Kickboxing Q & A thread ever?

Andy

beev, does BTB have a site?

Hayashi,
I live in California, but I spend about 2 months a year in Thailand. Yes, Songchai throws weekly Muaythai shows.

There are alot of fighters older than 25 that are still active.

I am sure that Samart Payakaroon is still an active fighter and he has to be over 25!

Yours,
Beev

Interesting stuff. Are there national rankings and different bodies (like in the west)? Are all the fights just one offs?

Beev
I'm up in the shithole that is Blackburn. I train at Shin Gi Tai, currently with Jimmy Clayton. Our best known fighters are Tommy Flynn (Full Contact) and Lee Cox (Thai), you'll probably have seen them in Fighters if you read it.
Do you have any fights planned this year?

Cheers

Andy

On an interesting note, some of my friends taped a ESPN2 event in Las Vegas where Orono, the Black Superman and former Lumpini champ fought a Frenchman named Suree. Both fighters were 26.

I remember watching tapes of Orono fighting in Radjadamnern and Lumpini Stadiums TEN FREAKING YEARS AGO!!! That was when he was in his "prime" in Thailand! He was SIXTEEN YEARS OLD!

He had his ass handed to him by the Frenchman, by the way. It was embarrassing and painful to watch. He wasn't even a pale shadow of his former self. His kicks were still poetry in motion, but he threw very few of them. And, he had some WICKED elbow strikes, but he just couldn't find answers against this Frenchman.

Honestly, he looked like he didn't even train for the match. He was SO SLOW!!!

Oh, and Alex Gong fucking sucks! He is supposedly Fairtex Muay Thai's Boy-Wonder. I was NOT impressed with his supposed fighting skills AT ALL!

Ok, he wasn't that bad, but the thing is, he looked like he hadn't trained for the match at all and had underestimated his opponent. He went out the first round and "blew his wad". He was sucking wind for the following 4 rounds.

His roundhouse kick sucked. He performs a textbook "Golden Prawn" kick. Some of you may have heard of this kick, called "the prawn" or, as our gym calls it, "the Golden Prawn". This is when a fighter does NOT lean away from his kick as he is supposed to, but bows forward at the waist as he kicks, thus robbing his kick of power AND putting his head into his opponents punching range. I have seen Bunkerd (his trainer) fight, and he didn't learn that shit from him, that's for DAMN sure! I sincerely hope that Bunkerd gave Alex a severe dressing down after THAT fight!!!

Khun Kao Charuad; SuriyaSak/SitSuriya Muay Thai

Just seen a tape of some fights from Lumpini stadium in Thailand. Never seen any REAL Thai fights, only stuff in Britain, where of course, it's pretty much all amateur stuff.

All the fighters looked about 18, but how old are thewy when they start? Do they have long careers? Are they all pro? How often do they fight? Are there many Westerners fighting out there? Ramon Deker was in one of the fights, are there many Dutch fighting?

Cheers

Andy

They start when they are about six. They usually start fighting around 13. They fight until they are about 25.

If you are in the UK, then there is a video available called "Born for the Fight".

It is available from BTB Sports, you can contact them by calling 01923 770811. I think that is the number anyway.

It follows the carreers of 3 fighters, it shows:

1. Oran, a child about 8 years old, preparing for his first fight.

2. A 1 year old, his name escapes me who is preparing for an upcoming fight.

3. Namkabuem, shows him training for and defending his Lumpini stadium Title at 19 years of age.

It is a brilliant documentary and really opens your eyes to how serious Muay Thai is in Thailand.

1 year olds fighting!?!! Blimey;)

Cool, cheers Beev.

Andy

That should have been 12. Im Crap at speed typing:)

Yours,
Beev

P.S.
Where abouts in the UK are you Bollard?

in a matter of Songchai reputation...Yes..he s a great promoter and expand our art to other countries. Meanwhile...I want u guys to know something...most of thai youth or thai people..dont do muaythai..and dont even care what r going on with muaythai...that s quite disappointment....you see?. we can expand our art to worldwide but in thailand..they dont even care... muaythai in thailand..is more like gamble sport...

Recently there a few of muaythai elder master try to re reputation of ancient muaythai..such as Muaythai Chaiya, Muay korat, muay lopburi... Still they r really rare..

Anyway some of muaythai master such as Samart, Kaosai Galaxy open the muaythai center..near my house..but i dun think they train pro fighter...if u wanna know the info visit http://www.muaythaicenter.com/

Fighter blues- nice site! But most of teh contents are only available in Thai at the moment. Hope English version of the contents will be up soon. Ur nick wouldn't be from the movie Fighter's Blues is it? =) . I thought it was a pretty good movie. Not enough MT action though.

OH sorry hayashi I didnt check on the english part..actually they got 2 version thai and english. However they only make it in english just for introduction. When go to other contents it s still in thai though. Actually their webmaster doesnt keep maintain the site.. kind of never been updated....

Ye..my name is from that film : > not much MT action coz it s suppose to be in Drama category though...

Yeah, not enuff MT action. I was thinking "Damn, shoulda had more fight scenes". Oh well, can't be too greedy I guess =) .