Lunges are better than Squats!!

419 - Don't his guys also do front squats?

Yes.

I have the pleasure of working out at MBSC in Mass and see lots of front squats, cleans, snatches, ghr's, sled pushing, sled pulling, lunges, split squats, 1 leg rdls,etc everyday I am in there. Just because guys aren't loading up on the back squat doesn't mean they aren't working hard or that they are only doing unilateral lifts.

1 thing I can say from incoporating a lot of single leg variations into my training is that my balance has improved greatly. Lots of the variations really force you to focus on the movement during the exercise, whereas with both feet on the ground it allows you to kind of "go through the motions" more, if that makes any sense.

traneufcisback - QAre squats or lunges safer for those with chronic lower back problems?

lunges are far easier on the back IMO. squats are a great exercise but one of the most dangerous for the back. i know people will say that squatting with "good form" is safe for the back and i agree with that to some extent. the problem is that if (more like when) you lose your form, your low back is put in an extremely vulnerable position. so i try to avoid heavy squats now to protect my back.

if you think that you'll be able to squat with perfect form every time, then squats may be great for you. for me, i know that eventually my form breaks down and i'll risk reinjuring my back. so i dont' mess with squat as much anymore.

Why does your form break down? - because your back isn't strong enough..

think about that for a second.

"lunges are far easier on the back IMO. squats are a great exercise but one of the most dangerous for the back. i know people will say that squatting with "good form" is safe for the back and i agree with that to some extent. the problem is that if (more like when) you lose your form, your low back is put in an extremely vulnerable position. "

As somebody with a lower back injury, I can say the whole "form" thing is bunk. I can do back extensions with respectable weight. Likewise I can DL and lunge respectable weight. I can touch my forehead to my knees easily. However squatting with even just the bar with picture perfect form is fucking with a loaded gun for me. Given long enough, I will tweak my back and be done for a few weeks.

Been like that since I initially injured it 10 years ago. I've tried countless approaches. The only solution is not squatting. Originally injured it back bridging somebody off me like you would do a trillion time training jitz or wrestling.

Bull_in_chinashop -  Why does your form break down? - because your back isn't strong enough..

think about that for a second.

i don't think that is my main problem.

i think my form breaks down because i push myself too hard at times. this can mean that i will try to go too heavy on the weight or that i will continue lifting when i start to fatigue.

i know these things are bad but they almost always happen eventually. i can go months squatting with "perfect" form, but then i'll have that one workout when i make a mistake. usually, these mistakes won't be a big deal. sometimes they are though. when they are, i'm in a world of pain.

Heavy Front Squats with single leg assistance work.

I mean, really, pulling it all together, that's what you're all saying.

I, however, will back squat. That's because I like to back squat.

MEH!