machida ia the most sportsmanlike fighter ever

I think most experienced guys do this. Lets not forget even more when they're friends.

As mentioned Shogun did this to Machida, Anderson did this to Vitor, Nate to Maia, etc....i think the biggest thing is control and composure from experience.

None of the Andy/Vitor gifs show the walk away.

Should have thrown a haymaker or two for insurance.  Soccer-kick his head if it's legal.  Don't take a chance on the guy playing possum.  You got your man down - keep hitting and make sure he STAYS down.  It's the ref's job to stop the fight, not yours.

Paul Harris.  A man's man and a fighter's fighter, in a world increasingly run by girlie men.

Let's not forget Pat Smith vs. Scott Morris!

brahmabull81 - Youre opinion is no longer valid when you try to claim Vitor DOESNT try to get cheap back of the head punches on everyone he drops that even remotely turn their head that way. Hes the only guy that does it consistently.

And that GIF sure looks like hes trying to avoid a back of the head punch to me.... In real time it definitely looks like it. I cant claim to KNOW Nates intentions, just stating my OPINION on it.
No. You cannot tell me my opinion is not valid. YOUR opinion is that Vitor cheap shots people.... My opinion is that you could cherry pick any fighter and pick plenty of fights where there were punches landed to the back of head. There were 2 Travis Browne fights that I can think of. But I understand that these are fighters in real live fights and when somebody turns their head, it's hard to think about where the punch is landing just as you are trying to finish the fight. Vitor is not the only one, so stop singling him out like he's doing it on purpose. Phone Post 3.0

Diesel67 -

Should have thrown a haymaker or two for insurance.  Soccer-kick his head if it's legal.  Don't take a chance on the guy playing possum.  You got your man down - keep hitting and make sure he STAYS down.  It's the ref's job to stop the fight, not yours.

I totally respect the guys that show restraint and stop when they see the guy is totally out but you do have a point about the ref stopping the fight.

However, I can't think of any examples where a fighter walks away and the ref doesn't stop the fight. Phone Post 3.0

Spencer fishers walk away flying knee Phone Post 3.0

The saddest part of this is that nothing is stopping everyone else from practicing such honor. People tend to be dickish to their relative opponents. Ie "the stump". Phone Post

He's a great rep for the Sport.

MarkRobinson -
Diesel67 -

I totally respect the guys that show restraint and stop when they see the guy is totally out but you do have a point about the ref stopping the fight.

However, I can't think of any examples where a fighter walks away and the ref doesn't stop the fight. Phone Post 3.0
Palhares vs Miller, somewhat ironically. Phone Post 3.0

minotauro11 - 
MarkRobinson -
Diesel67 -

Cyborg vs "some woman" in Strikeforce. Basically was the exact same situation as Palhares/Miller except she did more damage to her opponent.

Need more like Machida. Less like Sonnen. Phone Post

disagree about Belfort, he let Lindland and Coture off the hook before the ref stepped in.

Machida is the Genki Sudo of this generation of fighters.

FETT_DiscipleDojo - 

Machida is the Genki Sudo of this generation of fighters.

Not really. Other than the fact that they've both bowed to guys they've KTFO....dont really see it.

minotauro11 - 
MarkRobinson -
Diesel67 -

Exactly.  Palhares thought he had his man KO'd, walked away, started celebrating.  The ref disagreed, the fight resumed, and a first-round KO turned into a third-round sub. 

Palhares walks away from Dan Miller and celebrates victory prematurely from Diesel Strongboy on Vimeo.

KEEP FIGHTING UNTIL THE REF PULLS YOU OFF!