Magnetic Therapy B.S.

I always thought magnets and other hippie gadgets were crap. Anyways, a friend swears by this product and gave it to me cause I strained a muscle. Long story short, after a couple of hours I could actually move without crying. The product is called Phiten Titanium Bands.

I have some land in Florida to sell you

theoretically, its possible. i would imagine it works on similar principles to some electrotherapy modalities.

Had a nasty case of elbow tendinitis. Started wearing a megnetic elbow band and it took care of the problem. Elbow bands that the doctor had given me did squat. Any time it starts to flare up I put the band back on for a couple of days and it I'm pain free.

Howdy folks!

"Magnetic therapy" is a sham.

Carter R, Aspy CB, Mold J. The effectiveness of magnet therapy for treatment of wrist pain attributed to carpal tunnel syndrome. J Fam Pract. 2002 Jan;51(1):38-40. Quote: "The use of a magnet for reducing pain attributed to carpal tunnel syndrome was no more effective than use of the placebo device."

Caselli MA et al. Evaluation of magnetic foil and PPT Insoles in the treatment of heel pain. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association 87:11-16, 1997. Quote: "...magnetic foil offered no advantage."

M. H. Winemiller, R. G. Billow, E. R. Laskowski, and W. S. Harmsen. Effect of Magnetic vs Sham-Magnetic Insoles on Plantar Heel Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA, September 17, 2003; 290(11): 1474 - 1478. Quote: "Static bipolar magnets embedded in cushioned shoe insoles do not provide additional benefit for subjective plantar heel pain reduction when compared with nonmagnetic insoles."

Collacott EA et al. Bipolar permanent magnets for the treatment of chronic low back pain. JAMA 283:1322-1325, 2000. Quote: "No statistically significant differences were noted in the effect between real and sham magnets with any of the other outcome measures."

Quotes or no quotes, it worked for me.

We replaced BoxingFan's real magnet with metal from crushed Schlitts cans! Let's see if he noticed!

Hey, maybe it was the beer seeping in through my skin that helped the pain!

Well THAT is a study worth conducting! Do I have any volunteers for our new transdermal beer analgesic? :P

"i have a back insert 8" by 4" thatslids down the back of my pants. after 2 hours i felt better than my epidural"

Ugh!

LOL@placebo's

Still LingOL @ placebos.

LOL @ people who lol @ placebos. Could care less how it worked for me.....it worked and continues to work when I need it. Placebo, science, luck...who cares.

CBT, so what you're saying is I shouldn't use the magentic band that gave me total relief from my elbow pain even though other bands I tried did nothing? Nice advice, but I'll think I'll have to ignore it.

lol

LOL @ people who LOL @ people who LOL @...

Oh shit, I lost count.

lol some more