Marcelo Garcia Seminar Notes

Surfer Joe - I remember you saying you worked for V and I work there too. I'm out on the west coast and I know we sold Cali/Texas/Florida to Frontier so I just assumed you switched over.

Cool-guess you stayed with VZ? Where are you located? (If I didn't have my 3 kids making me live in Florida - shared custody, I would move out west too)

This pic made more sense cause we took it yesterday, May 4th (at Disney World)

That picture perfect moment when you wear a Marcelo Garcia Jiu Jitsu tshirt while standing next to Marcelo Garcia and Marcelo Garcia Jr (they aren't that annoyed at me...the sun was in our eyes...or at least I hope they werent!)

kying418 -
Surfer Joe - I remember you saying you worked for V and I work there too. I'm out on the west coast and I know we sold Cali/Texas/Florida to Frontier so I just assumed you switched over.

Cool-guess you stayed with VZ? Where are you located? (If I didn't have my 3 kids making me live in Florida - shared custody, I would move out west too)
Yeah I'm still with VZ. I'm in Los Angeles. Hoping I get to meet Marcelo one of these days!

^ Awesome- we'll both be at Worlds this year- come by and say Hi! (Sorry guys, he's coaching not competing)

Never noticed how Marcelo & Murr from impractical jokers look alike

edward nigma - Never noticed how Marcelo & Murr from impractical jokers look alike

Yeah- I posted one of our pics together, and one of my non BJJ Facebook friends was so excited that I met someone from that show.

Always funny how unassuming Marcelo looks

But I don't quite understand what you mean by "clubbing" the neck of your opponent while passing the butterfly guard?

NicolasRGC - Always funny how unassuming Marcelo looks

But I don't quite understand what you mean by "clubbing" the neck of your opponent while passing the butterfly guard?

I guess the more technical term would be a hard collar tie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys9tmw3TIEU

(in this video Cary Kolat is snapping down, whereas with Marcelo's move, he is snapping more to the side)

ttt for later

I think the best thing I took away was his teaching and his thoughts on why he does something.
I had trained with him during his mma training days at ATT but most of that was just me getting wrecked.
I really enjoyed his openness to answer questions and to explain his preference of one technique detail over another. Plus his humility teaching with Liborio and Bruno Malfacine just being another student in the crowd was pretty cool.
I also unknowingly met Kying and asked about the technique that was shown bc I asked if he was one of Marcelo's guys bc somehow I knew.

It was great meeting you!

TTT Phone Post 3.0

same! feel bad i didnt talk with yall more just so much was going on too much jiu jitsu cut into my socializing

Nice. I heard Marcelo is a great guy/ instructor. Phone Post 3.0

Malachy Friedman - same! feel bad i didnt talk with yall more just so much was going on too much jiu jitsu cut into my socializing

I'm not that fun to be with- you didnt miss much :)

Marcelo's wife just texted me this photo:

Marcelo and I rode the Tower of Terror ride at Disney World.  I always hate these rides, but for some reason, I always end up being convinced by him to ride them.  (A few years back we were in Dallas, and I had to do a couple of free fall rides with him too)

Right before the initial dropped he turned to me and said "Don't hold my hand if you get scared"...which I laughed and told him of course I wouldn't!...

Then as we dropped, I couldnt find anything to grab onto, so I instinctively reached out near his hand- and he hand fought with me so I wouldn't latch on.

Getting tricked into riding the Mount Everest ride: