Mas Oyama working out with some TKDers.

You can see how much Kyokushinkai has evolved since then. In that footage, he's practically fighting out of a cat stance, something which NOONE does now in Karate (at least the last time I looked).

oyama was korean and was in talks with choi to unify/merge with taekowndo (it's an old article i read, i believe it was an inteview with oyama); i believe it was called the KTA at the time.

Interesting how things have involved since then.

Yeah, for all intensive purposes, Kyokushinkai is a totally different art now.

1 Like

KyokushinCatch - was lucky enough to learn "old-school" kyokushin (a LOT of jujutsu and self-defense) from Bobby Lowe, and "cross train" with the newer style via All-Japan Champion Takashi Azuma (who later founded Daido-Juku).

damn u are lucky!

1 Like

yusul - oyama was korean and was in talks with choi to unify/merge with taekowndo (it's an old article i read, i believe it was an inteview with oyama); i believe it was called the KTA at the time.

The "talks" was Choi repeatedly requesting Oyama to merge kyokushin into tkd (what is now WTF TKD), and Oyama repeatedly saying "sorry, not interested".

1 Like

Kolsyrade - 
yusul - oyama was korean and was in talks with choi to unify/merge with taekowndo (it's an old article i read, i believe it was an inteview with oyama); i believe it was called the KTA at the time.

The "talks" was Choi repeatedly requesting Oyama to merge kyokushin into tkd (what is now WTF TKD), and Oyama repeatedly saying "sorry, not interested".

Actually totally wrong.  General Choi's ITF was so different than the modern WTF.  At the time, both Oyama and Choi were preaching full power, full contact type of martial arts.  The WTF almost had nothing to do with Choi and from everything I know, ITF thought/thinks the WTF is pretty lame.

It depends on how you see it and what year you look at.

Choi was president of KTA (Korean Taekwondo Association) from 1961 (when it was founded under the name KTU -Korean Taekwondo Union. It changed to KTA in 1962) to 1966 when he had to resign because of the North Korea visit scandal, and he formed ITF instead. When WTF was founded in 1973, KTA became the south korean national branch of the international organization. Dojangs do not join WTF directly, they join through the national organization for the country thay are in. In Korea that national organization is still KTA.
So while it is true that Choi had nothing to do with WTF, he had a LOT to do with KTA -which is what WTF was built from.

This is clip is from Oyamas visit to Korea 1967, the year AFTER Choi left KTA and formed ITF.
But the subject of Oyama jointing TKD had first been raised by Choi a few years before this -when Choi was still a part (and president) of KTA.

So, Choi started out trying to merge Kyokushin with (or ally it or whatever you want to call it, as it didnt exist any international TKD organization yet) KTA which today is WTF, but at the end (and at the time of this clip) he tried to merge it into his own newly founded ITF.

In either case, Oyama was not interested.

FlashGordon2002 - You can see how much Kyokushinkai has evolved since then. In that footage, he's practically fighting out of a cat stance, something which NOONE does now in Karate (at least the last time I looked).

Didnt look to me like a cat stance so much as a back stance. Right when he breaks the fighters he sort of goes into a cat stance then widens it out some and he looks to be telling the TKD guys their stance is too wide for good lateral movement.

At times, Oyama had some very interesting, if simple footwork. He had an ability to just move forward with a type of 'pressure' and land strikes (often to the body). He employed a type of 'walking' movement. You can see this (IIRC) in some of his old videos. He's able to 'spar' with some of his high ranking belts and pressure them and do a 'ko' pretty quickly and easily.

He didn't do a lot of moving around, or bouncing or anything. He also used sweeps to the front leg to unbalance to good effect, and he used a grab of the lapel and strike with them. He wasn't all just 'power'.

:joy::laughing: LoL, modern day softies and pussies want to compare mas oyama to the new school. Fact is he lived a lifestyle completely different from all you social media guys. Plus he is a genetic freak. Which you guys are not. A lot of us can stretch all day you won’t be 7ft tall. Unless you have the genetics to be 7ft tall. Comparing him to Steven Seagal is hilarious. Mas Oyama is as legit as drinking water. Heck social media believes COVID is real. I don’t know what script or fad of social media you guys are in, but being a wannabe cast of Idiocracy the movie doesn’t help with legitimacy. You guys as well as social media is a joke. You guys are mediocre toxic negative morons who have face your karma. You can’t hide behind your bullshit. You guys are the pot calling the kettle black.

2 Likes

He got into many real life fights with different fighting styles including a 100 man kumite. He knocked pro fighters and black belt karate fighters with one blow. He is a one of a kind genetic freak.

1 Like

It’s not our say to analyze someone like him. I know my generation. I am a young guy. Therefore I can accurately critique social media. I know this generation and people obsess about social media. And use meme generators. They’re not fighters. 99.9 percent of people would get seriously injured training or fighting like mas oyama including pro MMA fighters of today. Because people back then didn’t talk on the internet. I get this use psychological warfare to weaken your enemy. But what if your enemy is extremely violent and doesn’t care about that? Are any of you guys or pro fighters today male or female willing to go to a street riot or proud boys or antifa protest to save a person’s life? And fight bare knuckled using martial arts skills? probably not but mas oyama would. Different generation different genetics… Sorry social media. Too much technology and you can’t keep it honest anymore. No amount of psychological warfare can protect your cowardice.

1 Like

Mas Oyama was legit.

Kyokashin is the strongest karate, and thats for damn sure.
Most other martial arts are really aerobics.