Masvidal On How Kimbo Slice Inspired His Current Path As A Fight Promoter

https://www.mmanews.com/news/jorge-masvidal-how-kimbo-slice-inspired-career-promoter

Jorge Masvidal On How Kimbo Slice Inspired His Current Path As A Fight Promoter

Masvidal’s Gamebred Bareknuckle MMA returns this weekend

Former UFC superstar Jorge Masvidal was inspired to make the move from fighter to promoter by one of combat sports’ most unique characters.

Masvidal has made a seamless transition from fighter to promoter since announcing his retirement at UFC 287. But, he’s hinted at a fighting comeback later this year to go along with his obligations in promoting.

Gamebred Bareknuckle MMA returns this weekend with a stacked card, including a heavyweight main event between Junior dos Santos and Alan Belcher. Bareknuckle MMA has blown up over the past year as a popular facet of modern-day combat sports.

Masvidal’s dipping into the fight promoter world was fueled by the man who helped put his name on the map in south Florida.
“I always thought back to the late, great, Kimbo Slice when he invited me to his backyard,” Masvidal said. "Back then, he was a rock star, getting 30 million views a fight. Just invited this [guy] from Miami that no one knows…that always stuck with me because he didn’t have to.

“That ended up being one of my most-viewed fights…that always resonated with me very well so when I had the chance to [promote], I wanted to do the same exact damn thing for all these guys and as big as I can. Getting this huge platform, have all the eyeballs of MMA watching, and then I’ll get the best, meanest, up-and-coming free agents. Get them as much exposure as possible…that fills me with so much joy.”

Slice became a celebrity in the mid-2000s when a series of his street fights went viral online. He went on to appear on The Ultimate Fighter and amassed a 5-2 professional MMA record.

Masvidal’s rise to superstardom began when he was featured in some of Slice’s backyard fights in Florida. He earned a slew of vicious knockouts that eventually attracted the attention of the UFC.

Masvidal is hoping to become as good of a promoter as he was a fighter, and his rise in both respects is partially due to Slice’s presence as a role model.
Slice passed away from congestive heart failure in 2016. He was 42 years old