Matt Lindland wrestling for BJJ

5 Likes

@Siciliano

3 Likes

He’s a lot like Ben Askren imo, in that he is not explosive but does everything perfect with his limbs.

Would have gave Fedor the first lost of his career too if it wasn’t for the rope grab.

2 Likes

I just remembered at a seminar the late Robert Follis said Lindland was the least flexible guy he’d ever trained with. And very strong. I wonder if those two things are related.

2 Likes

In

1 Like

“…the butterfly grip. I hear it referred to as the Gable grip but I wrestled at the university of Nebraska so I would never name something after Dan Gable.”

4 Likes

I’ve always thought “butterfly grip” is wrist-to-wrist while Gable grip is palm-to-palm. But Matt Lindland can call a grip whatever he wants.

3 Likes

I would think the opposite, but if you look at Dan Henderson he can’t move for shit but when he hits you, he just turns off the lights.

Then on the contrary, Cro Cop and GSP are extremely flexible and multiple fights have said about each that they are the strongest fighters they have ever faced.

So I don’t think you can choose one or the other but I would think more flexibility has to restructure your muscle fibers and make you stronger and more athletic.

1 Like

Part 2

3 Likes

Yes

2 Likes

Part 3

2 Likes

Did Ben Askren give him his blackbelt?

Renzo did.

2 Likes

Facts?

Not sure if this is a reply to my post. But yes Renzo Gracie awarded Matt Lindland his black belt in BJJ.

1 Like

Wow, excellent video. Lots of nice details. Someone teach Matt how to tie a bet properly though lol.

1 Like
2 Likes

I have months of training based on the videos relased so far.

It is, but it was never referred to as a gable grip until bravo called it that promoting the early 10p system and then it just became the standard term in jiu jitsu.

1 Like