Matt Riddle message to Colby Covington and others

Since the earliest days of mixed martial arts, a number of top fighters have expressed interest in being signed by the WWE. Ronda Rousey had the greatest success, quickly becoming for a time, according to the authoritative Dave Meltzer, the biggest PPV draw in the WWE. Shayna Baszler has enjoyed success. And Matt Riddle worked his way in across years, and is now half of the NXT tag team champions.

Champ champ Amanda Nunes, Paige VanZant, MMA-retired former champ champ Henry Cejudo, and former interim welterweight champion Colby Covington have each recently expressed interest in crossing over. But in an interview with Brent Brookhouse for CBS Sports, Riddle cautions that it's harder than it looks.

"I wish I could say, 'Yeah, if you're an MMA fighter, hop in.' But to be a good pro wrestler, you have to love pro wrestling," explained Riddle. "I've loved pro wrestling longer than I've loved mixed martial arts. It's just that I wrestled in high school and I just went on that path before I got into pro wrestling. Tom Lawler is the same way. He's a great example of a mixed martial artist who loved pro wrestling before he started wrestling and he's had pretty good success, I think."

"If you're a talented athlete and have charisma, you can totally make the jump... At the same time, wrestling is one of those things that does not come easy. The fans, just like MMA fans, they can be brutal at times. If you don't bring it or you mess up or you're not doing things right, they're going to be cold. Those guys all have a good amount of charisma, they have a good amount of star power, they're amazing athletes and fighters. But it's a process. When I started wrestling, I could do all the moves and was like, 'This is going to be easy. I'm super athletic and I feel like I can talk.' But when you're out there wrestling, it's a completely different animal. It's hard."

"Maybe [Covington and Riddle's] size might be an issue at first, especially Henry because he's 135 pounds. Granted, the guy is a savage and knocks people out and is an amazing athlete. He's charismatic, though, and maybe you put him in the ring with Big Show like Floyd Mayweather and, oh my goodness, you know? Time will tell. We'll see how they go."

"You also have to realize wrestling is a PG kind of show. A lot of these MMA fighters bring a lot of heat, but they're not going to be able to bring that same heat in pro wrestling. You'd be crossing a line that you shouldn't cross. Because there's lines. Lines that you shouldn't cross. I mean, you're talking to me, I cross lines all the time, you know? But you shouldn't."

2 Likes

Riddle is doing very well for himself. The fans love him. 

2 Likes

Happy for the guy. Always seemed like a good dude (with a great name!). 

Pro wrestling is about being a storyteller more than anything else.

1 Like

Dude still has the most memorable finish on TUF outside Halls spinning kick.

1 Like

I don’t know how much money they are paying these days, but there was a time when one could make really good money as a pro wrestler in Japan. Ask Don Frye. He did it over there for several years. He never wrestled in WWF/WWE, or any other big American promotion, yet he still made good money. Frye was in New Japan Pro Wrestling. I think he was also in this thing called Inoke Genome, or something like that, that was kind of an offshoot of New Japan, which had a lot of shoot guys in it. I recall him having a match with Josh Barnett there. Barnett also did pro wrestling in Japan, but not as much as Frye.

1 Like

Riddle was trolling Bill Goldberg super hard saying he’d kick his ass in real life, bill made a career of cosplaying an mma fighter, sucks at pro wrestling moves, hurts people etc. it was pretty funny.

The thing is with pro wrestling you never know what’s real and what isn’t. Those guys are always in a work. It’s likely the Montreal screwjob was at least somewhat of a work if not completely. 

1 Like
theshooter - I don't know how much money they are paying these days, but there was a time when one could make really good money as a pro wrestler in Japan. Ask Don Frye. He did it over there for several years. He never wrestled in WWF/WWE, or any other big American promotion, yet he still made good money. Frye was in New Japan Pro Wrestling. I think he was also in this thing called Inoke Genome, or something like that, that was kind of an offshoot of New Japan, which had a lot of shoot guys in it. I recall him having a match with Josh Barnett there. Barnett also did pro wrestling in Japan, but not as much as Frye.

i remember u posting from the olden days Good to see u back posting.

theshooter - I don't know how much money they are paying these days, but there was a time when one could make really good money as a pro wrestler in Japan. Ask Don Frye. He did it over there for several years. He never wrestled in WWF/WWE, or any other big American promotion, yet he still made good money. Frye was in New Japan Pro Wrestling. I think he was also in this thing called Inoke Genome, or something like that, that was kind of an offshoot of New Japan, which had a lot of shoot guys in it. I recall him having a match with Josh Barnett there. Barnett also did pro wrestling in Japan, but not as much as Frye.

I’m not sure about Frye... but I know most of those wrestlers got around $10,000 per match.  

oranos -

Pro wrestling is about being a storyteller more than anything else.

Ok, Bruce. I looooooooooove youuuuuuuuuu

HillboFrateTrane -

Riddle was trolling Bill Goldberg super hard saying he’d kick his ass in real life, bill made a career of cosplaying an mma fighter, sucks at pro wrestling moves, hurts people etc. it was pretty funny.

The thing is with pro wrestling you never know what’s real and what isn’t. Those guys are always in a work. It’s likely the Montreal screwjob was at least somewhat of a work if not completely. 

Goldberg was just a roid monkey who got by on having a look.

If you want to see a demonstration of what a terrible worker he actually was and how badly he'd get worked by a real grappler, check out the infamous match he had to go longer than 90 seconds for the first time and William Regal made him look like a total clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4IdelJfk2k

https://youtu.be/FwWbgdPVXQE

1 Like

Riddle lost the tag titles on Wednesday...

But seriously, he's a pretty entertaining wrestler. Glad he was able to succeed. Dana treated him like shit.

1 Like
Phisher -
HillboFrateTrane -

Goldberg was just a roid monkey who got by on having a look.

If you want to see a demonstration of what a terrible worker he actually was and how badly he'd get worked by a real grappler, check out the infamous match he had to go longer than 90 seconds for the first time and William Regal made him look like a total clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4IdelJfk2k

https://youtu.be/FwWbgdPVXQE

WHO’S NEXT?

1 Like
malf922 -

Riddle lost the tag titles on Wednesday...

But seriously, he's a pretty entertaining wrestler. Glad he was able to succeed. Dana treated him like shit.

That was when Dana White was at the peak of his power/arrogance and woud cut a fighter who dared look at him wrong. Leaving the UFC was the best decision Riddle made. He never would have made the money he makes now or have achieved the same success if had stayed n the UFC. Credit to his character as a person that he doesn't seem bitter and is willing to give other fighters advice on how to cross over.

Good guys sometimes can finish on top.

Isn’t this the guy who couldn’t stop testing positive for weed and said he smokes to not beat his wife and kids 

2 Likes

Good article Kirik

Interesting that Riddle feels like he "can talk."

Every interview I ever saw him do, he was bringing down the IQ of everyone within 50 yards when he opens his mouth.

Maybe that goes over well in pro-wrestling though.

1 Like
Captain Canuck -

Interesting that Riddle feels like he "can talk."

Every interview I ever saw him do, he was bringing down the IQ of everyone within 50 yards when he opens his mouth.

Maybe that goes over well in pro-wrestling though.

Um, duh? 

1 Like
Sage Northcock -

Dude still has the most memorable finish on TUF outside Halls spinning kick.

Dan Simmler moaning was gnarly

HillboFrateTrane -

The way Bret is bitter about the screw job to this day, I don't think it was a work.