Maurice Smith KO’ing Conan

No. It was definitely a good stoppage. I just wanted to see Mo get the opportunity to put that charged up straight right laser on him. Haha

I think it’s also the fact they were using with like zero physician oversight and you know they were the type of guys “if one is good, six must be better”.

1 Like

i was 100% sure the grappler would take out the striker, which happend nearly every time back then

always thought the ref shoulda at least let him fall down b4 stopping it

2 Likes

I was cageside. Right when this happened everyone went crazy and someone touched Carlson Sr. All the Carlson guys went crazy and fights broke out in the crowd.

3 Likes

I was disappointed when Patrick Smith bowed out of ufc 6. I think him vs Oleg would have been fun for a few minutes

4 Likes

Fascinating. So someone touched Carlson Gracie sr? You mean just some random drunk bumped into him and his team didn’t like it and started brawling?

I can only imagine how hard Carlsons bjj team took this defeat back then.

3 Likes

Great thread

2 Likes

Not sure about Randleman, but Coleman drank or drinks like a fish from what I’ve heard. That will age you as well. And of course, there’s always genetics. :wink:

2 Likes

I think it also has to do with how much harder you can push your body when on roids. You’re able to put that much more mileage on your body, the kind you can’t recover from. If you do it consistently for 15 years? I’d say it probably has an effect on aging and overall health.

2 Likes

Man i miss the early days! The mystique of Jiu Jitsu and the Gracies!

2 Likes

No one remembers that Conan won the rematch

5 Likes

Conan sold a lot of people ecstasy buddy

1 Like

He lost to sakuraba so it’s moot.

didn’t Conan beat up his students?
I recall Eric saying something in regards to that, like he broke his nose sparring him for the first time.

Nah, I just like to forget it.

I really miss those days as well. Gracies were gods back then and guys like Ruas had a good amount of mystique as well

Brazilian Bjj reigned supreme for awhile and then came the huge wrestlers and they came in and wretched shop and that led to the hybrid guys like Ruas, Maurice Smith etc etc

Back then there were one night 8 man tournaments happening every weekend it seemed. Brazil vale tudo, Japan vale tudo, universal vale tudo, world vale tudo, ufc, Mars and world combat championship.

Btw what happened to Brazilian mma events like world vale tudo? They were putting on some quality tournaments

3 Likes

4 Ltr

yes. world vale tudo was sick in every way.

Ruas destroying that cop ninjitsu guy.
Rizzo soccer kicking Vernon White and opting not to do it again. Happy days.
Kerr’s win at 3 where he injured and destroyed all opponents
young heath herring in Aruba

where is Frederico Lapenda?

3 Likes

Sadly Brazil went to using the same rules they all use.
And people on the UG applauded which I never understood. It’s cool that there’s a few shows like one that have different rules but I miss the days where we had pancrase with no head punches, we had true vale Tudo which had this scary raw feel with the stomps head butts & no stand ups.
Even the lumax cup with limited mma in the gi jacket or kurtka.
Wish some show in 2021 would bring back vale Tudo and another mma in the gi.
It’s just more interesting when things don’t go all generic by following the same formula.

2 Likes

In