McGregor says Chandler Fight ‘is Rescheduled for the End of this Calendar Year’

3 Likes

Conor McGregor insists he’ll be back in action in 2024.

UFC 303 was supposed to be the highly anticipated “Notorious” return. Instead, it turned into a superbly phenomenal night for the light heavyweight champion Alex Pereira, who successfully defended his title for the second time.

A pinky-toe injury forced McGregor from his stalled matchup against Michael Chandler during International Fight Week 2024. After a stint on The Ultimate Fighter 31 (TUF) last year, it felt like the bout may never actually happen. Then it was officially announced, hype was built, and then it was taken away just a few weeks out. Regardless, an injury of that nature isn’t — theoretically — severe enough to keep McGregor out for an extended period and he now claims the year’s end will be his window to shine.

“My comeback is scheduled for the end of the year,” McGregor told ESPN. “Sometime the end of this year, closing out the show. So, I was close to returning. We had an incident and a postponement had to happen, and you know, it is what it is. We take it on the chin, we rock on. The fight is rescheduled for the end of this calendar year. So, I’m excited about that and eager to get back.”

July 2021 marks the last time McGregor fought professionally when he lost his second consecutive bout to his rival Dustin Poirier. The Irishman infamously broke his leg in the process, which led to his first-round TKO defeat against “The Diamond” in their trilogy clash.

McGregor, 36, was in Spain for a BKFC press conference Thursday where he teased two more fights on his UFC deal and a possibility of stepping into the ring for gloveless combat. How realistic that is remains to be seen. However, because McGregor was in Spain, that led to him receiving questions about the featherweight champion Ilia Topuria.

Topuria has attracted negative reactions from his fellow European in recent months, but this time was given more of a chance by his dream opponent.

“Topuria, there’s a lot to see from Topuria,” McGregor said. “I understand he’s taking inspiration from my journey. He’s copied my tattoos and whatnot. He says this and that, the other, you know, but I don’t mind Topuria. I don’t mind him and we’ll see what happens down the line. Spanish people are backing him and that’s great to see. Who knows what the future holds.”

Hoo The Fook Cares

7 Likes

What are the odds that Dana will be out soon to say 'No he’s not."?

2 Likes

Nope

I’m so done with this stupid fucking fight just like I am Jones vs Stipe.

4 Likes

McGregor says a lot of things, who gives a fuck either way.

2 Likes

Conors really talking about people copying his tattoos?! Pot? Meet kettle.

1 Like

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

YuPPP

Chandler’s giving up 2 years of his prime earning years for this stupid fight in the hope Conor doesn’t have to reschedule again… Thank God other sports don’t run this way.

1 Like

OH LOOK , McFoot is Miraculously Healed

3 Likes

He also fired Mike Perry, to stay in the limelight.

And yet he still needs another 5 months to train to fight a guy he’s already been “training” to fight for the last 6 months :clown_face: Also, I’ve always been a big fan of Chandler being a Mizzou homer and he just is pure fun to watch, but after this fight finally happens, I really don’t care to see him anymore. He could have fought a number of fun fights by now and still gotten the Conor fight because of his style. It’s not like his win loss record got him the fight in the first place. He’s exciting, throws power shots, and also takes big shots, 100% still would have gotten the Conor fight.