Me teaching some half guard

Below

NIce techs. Is that first sweep dependent on his energy (does he have to be pushing into you, off his butt, etc)?

You can hit it static or moving. Most people don't expect it, but since my students have become more aware of it it's much harder to hit.

I hit it at about 7:50 in this video

nice techs Jay. <br /><br />I used to try that first one a lot but got stuffed by a couple wrestlers with a good base. Then if you miss it you're in a bad spot. <br /><br />

nice

Good stuff Phone Post

checkuroil - 

Good stuff Phone Post

You should post more vids

I'm planning on making some more vids soon, glad you guys enjoyed this one.

looks good, my half guard needs it!
thanks

bonez05 - nice techs Jay.

I used to try that first one a lot but got stuff by a couple wrestlers with a good base. Then if you miss it you're in a bad spot.

Thanks! I'm definitely selective about when I use that sweep. I'd say the third one (kimura sweep) is my highest percentage of the three, but they all take some time to get a feel for.

bonez05 - nice techs Jay. <br /><br />I used to try that first one a lot but got stuffed by a couple wrestlers with a good base. Then if you miss it you're in a bad spot. <br /><br />

Dont lose the sleeve grip and you should be ok. If you get your leg free you can roll back in to an omaplata, triangle, or just recompose guard.

Very nice !! Thanks for sharing !

thanks for sharing

the 3rd option looks fun!

Why do they call you Jay? Your name is Matt Murdock.

how can this be?!

joemasepoos - Very nice !! Thanks for sharing !

Cool sweep, Thanks!

Thanks! I almost always try the Shaolin sweep from the first position and now I have another option to try.

. Phone Post

on that last sweep, I like the idea of sitting into him first, but on the roll back, I really like to bring my left shoulder inside his knee and the outer edge of his torso. So you're getting a little more N/S, not quite to a jelly roll though. I think I got this from Galvao. Not only does this give me more sweeping power, but by moving my shoulder into that position it prevents him reversing it into a kimura on you! You don't have worry about stepping around for an arm bar since you've got the 1/2.