MGInaction.com Review

Part I:

This is going to be a comprehensive and detailed review of MGinAction. So please bear with me. I'll explain how I use the website and why I think it's a great addition to any BJJ training regime

But first, if you like my review and decide to check it out, please use PROMO CODE: joelovesfishin. It gives you a week free to check it out and then you can cancel.

Subscription Price: $25.00/month or $250/year (~$20.83/month)

Lets take a look at the main page when you login.

OVERVIEW:
1: Drop down menus for techniques.
2: Keyword Search.
3. Techniques Tab
4. In Action Tool Bar

The Techniques Tab (#3) is where all the good stuff is found. It's broken down into Fundamentals, Advanced, In Action, Sparring, Drills and Discussions. I'll discuss the In Action, Sparring and Discussions tab a little more in-depth later on.

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7086/7207086860_0b1d0b65a1.jpg[/IMG]

HOW I USE IT:I use the site one of two ways; first is to learn a technique and second is to watch MG spar. For instance, if I have a problem in class or if I learned a technique in class I want to review, I'll either do a keyword search or find it in the drop down menus. As an example; if I wanted more information of "Escaping Side Control."

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7229/7207086074_8fc8ee56b0.jpg[/IMG]

I spend a majority of my time in the Sparring Tab watching MG spar. This usually leads to some technique I want to learn more about. What's great about this section is that it lists all the "Techniques" used by MG in the sparring session. You can find everything at the bottom of the video, so if you want to learn how to counter the Berimbolo, it's listed right there and shows you how many videos are available.

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8146/7207086652_238d243574.jpg[/IMG]

If you click on the "Counter vs Berimbolo" it takes you to the tabs and only shows techniques dealing with the technique. The example below shows there are 6 videos In Action, 4 videos in Sparring and 1 video in Discussion.

[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8015/7207086760_8a6860c7c2.jpg[/IMG]

IN ACTION Tab
This is the best part of this site and is an invaluable tool for training purposes. It shows MG executing the technique while sparring from different angles, different people and different set-ups. Do you see the "Load Page to Que" button on the top left? Once you click on that button, a video pops out and shows all the "IN ACTION" videos back to back to back. So you can see MG executing a Guillotine Choke 100 different ways, on different sized people, from different angles.

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7091/7207086184_d64a4ddee9.jpg[/IMG]

DISCUSSION Tab
This is also a great resource. It's like having a private lesson or discussion with MG. He sits and talks about why he does certain techniques or just philosophizes about BJJ. The most recent one that I gained a lot of good information from was why he prefers the "ball and socket" grip vs. the 10th PJJ Pretzel Grip in the Guillotine choke.

[IMG]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5320/7207086482_c21d6c3352.jpg[/IMG]

So there you go. Down and dirty. I think the site is worth every penny and is worth your time. If you want to try a free week, use PROMO CODE: joelovesfishin

Part II will discuss the "In Action Tool Bar".

The best way to research is use Code: BenBJJ

;0

Great review!  For some reason I think the whole "please use my promo code" thing puts a bad taste in people's mouths.  I think if you really want to get new people on the site, maybe don't use that angle, maybe just do that with your friends and people you know.  Otherwise, it looks life a self-interest marketing ploy that will make skeptical people look at anything you say...well, very skeptically.  It's a nice bonus offer from the site, but from the reaction I've seen on this forum, it often drives away as many people as it entices.

That said, MGinAction is the best jiu-jitsu learning tool ever!  I could give you my promo code but I won't because you should just sign up and give Marcelo your money, not me!

No criticism at all for the site?

Also, automatic credit card renewal, so keep track of when you joined in case you don't want to do it forever, or get downsized, or your wife forbids you to train anymore.

HoldYerGround - No criticism at all for the site?

Excellent point.

My only negative for the site is that the videos can run slow on occasion.

Also, here's a a link to where you can actually see the photos of the site:

http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=34639

Sub Phone Post

Trust me his 'promo code' doesn't work. Use mine!

sub

Love this website!!! Phone Post

Love the site, my 'negatives' would be

Basically everything taught is only what Marcelo does, which is great, but if you're looking for darces, spiral guard, leg locks, etc...you wont find it, plus limited content on defenses for it

If you dont fit into Marcelos game you wont get as much as others out of it IMO

Plus, vids and pages can be slow at times

liquidrob - Love the site, my 'negatives' would be

Basically everything taught is only what Marcelo does, which is great, but if you're looking for darces, spiral guard, leg locks, etc...you wont find it, plus limited content on defenses for it

my main issue is that I don't do much butterfly... I dig his guillotines, back, passing, drags, etc. but the butterfly plays a large role in setting up a lot of these things.

ttt

The lack of defenses for Marcelo's game blows me away!!

I remember looking for defenses for the one legged x-guard and there were like 5 results, two were just labeled incorrectly, and the other 3 were live rolling examples. No classes.

Its great if you would like to see the tripod sweep taught at 50 different classes though.

yeah, i have to agree. there is nothing on using spider guard or dlf or hg or rdlr. seems like it is just his game. which is great for him. but if you are all training this, then you are just learning MG's game and how to beat it.

they can teach you how to pass spider guard, but if none of your sparring partners have great spider guards then how good are you going to be at passing it.  MG became great training at fabio's and there was a very wide vatiety of games there.

it would be great to train at MG, but i think that there is too much not taught. or i am just completely wrong.

can't wait for the mendes bros online to start in august. they have to show the hg brabo they hit all the time and mounted darces and crazy kimura shit.

The lack of defenses for Marcelo's game blows me away!!

I remember looking for defenses for the one legged x-guard and there were like 5 results, two were just labeled incorrectly, and the other 3 were live rolling examples. No classes.

Its great if you would like to see the tripod sweep taught at 50 different classes though.

"Marcelo, how do I defend the 1-leg x guard?" "Don't get there."

"Marcelo, how do I defend the guillotine?" "Don't get there"

Also, if you understand how to perform a technique you should be able to figure out how to defend, if a defense is possible. Just don't let them do what they were trying to do. Plus, you should make the first move. The more you attack the more your opponent must defend. When you defend you are losing the fight.

Let me rephrase then.

There are very little or no counters to Marcelo's game on the site.

? Marcelo teaches his game vs his game if you ask me. There are hundreds of videos on passing butterfly guard, which is his primary guard. There are also lots of videos on escaping the back, mount, side control and knee on belly. But if you are expecting a heavy emphasis on defense from Marcelo in the Advanced class you are totally missing his approach to jiu jitsu, which to me is the most valuable part of mginaction.