Mid thoracic flexibility

Ok umm what happens when I still squat a2g and lose my "anterior concavity of the lumbar spine"? I mean what are the negatives about it, I just read that it's because of lacking flexibility etc but why is it bad? Will I blow out my back sooner or later or just die earlier?

I just noticed I'm doing this but never had any back/lower back problems at all.

The pressure on the discs will be increased, and performance will be decreased. When the lordotic curve decreases (flattening, then rounding of the lower spine at the bottom of the squat), not only does the lower spine lose stability and is subject to higher pressure, but the spinal erectors are stretched, reducing their mechanical advantage significantly and degrading the technique and increasing the danger to the spine.

-doug-

Paul,

If you need help clarifying anything, just let me know.

-doug-

I have had similar issues in the past with my spine and upper back. Not only was my grappling/lifting effected, but I would also be in pain during the day from neck/back spasms.

I decided to work on strengthening the rhomboids and erector set...done wonders for that area and overall shoulder health. I focus on roman deadlifts, front squats, and upper back/extension work

My back squat still suck and probably always will, (torso unusually long for my height), but this focus does give me a better curve when working that area back squats.

I will try these tests outlined and check my progress.

roundtwo -- yeah, I had a lot of issues with my lower back and the butt tuck under in the video, etc, and like you, doing things like Romanian deadlifts and back extensions helped me tremendously to correct that issue.

Vermonter,

If I can't squat low without losing the arch, should I just squat low enough to keep the arch? For me this is about 2-3 inches above parallel.

Crossfit squat tutorial from Wednesday, 4/11/2007:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_AirSquats.wmv

It's nice that for once the video doesn't have a crappy death-metal or rap soundtrack.

Cumprido,

Yes, for now you shouldn't squat to the point where you lose form, and in the meantime develop your mobility.

-doug-

Doug- Thank you very much. I'm working on the flexibility, but it's always been poor, especially in squats. I'm slightly knock-kneed so it makes that motion limited in ROM.

Definitely stretch those internal rotators then.

Keep working at it.

-doug-

How on earth would I stretch those?

By externally rotating the femur. Duh. ;)

A little hard to explain. Let me find a pic.

-doug-

Here's an example:

I dont recommend pushing on your knee like that, which would put a lot of stress on the connective tissues of the knee, but you get the idea.

I think that's rubber guard. lol!

Seriously, though - heed what vermonter is saying about being careful about the knee. We used to do a stretch like that all the time in jiujitsu - except pushing on the knee with one hand and pulling on the foot with the other. Eventually my knees adjusted, but they were inflamed and painful on the outside of the knee for the first month.

Uhgg. Never stretch like that. I can feel my ligaments straining just thinking about it.

I generally support the knee with a hand (or both) on the opposite side. I locate the ligament there and manually guage its degree of stretch. The purpose of doing these is to stretch the MUSCLES not connective tisssues.

The butterfly stretch is a decent one for this as well. I'd do both. I have another one that's seated that i think is best, but i cant find a pic.

-doug-

And yes, that man is developing his rubber guard. I believe he's working on his transition to "London."

-doug-

Ring Girl-

Why did you tell theramblingman not to let his ass curl under at the bottom like yours? That is the proper movement of the sacrum at the bottom of the squat (counternutation).