Minimum cardio to get benefits?

Thanks Taku.  The problem is that once I stop the activity alltogether I stay around 120 BPM for a significant amount of time.  It usually takes about 30 minutes or so before I'm back to my normal resting heartrate.

my threads.... some good info and a good debate on this thread

1AS,

Yeah...the long time to get back below 120, does seem strange. I have some guys I work with who have a high end max heart rate of about 140 BPM. Others can get their HR up to 200. I have seen guys up in the 190 range and back down below sixty BPM wihin one minute of reducing their work load.

Lot's of things can happen.

Perhaps some more investigation with some better informed peeps may help you. Look for a place that actually works with athletes specifically. Not just the standard HR tests they use on normal folks.

TAKU T.N.T.

1AS

Let me make sure I have this right. You're saying you can get up to 188bpm within one minute of exercise and you can stay there for 3-5? What are doing exactly to get it that high?

Taku - Thanks for the reply.  That is the next step, going to a place specifically geared towards athletes.

Joel - Thanks for the reply as well. 

The easiest, most reliable and fastest way for me to get my heartrate that high is just burpees.   I can't maintain the burpees at that HR for very long however so typically  for these types of sessions I'll just do continuous circuits without break for 3-5 mins.  An example circuit might be something like; 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 burpees.

My readings are also assuming my heartrate monitor is accurate and I'm suspecting it might not be.  After any given session it gives me a # of different readings such as; average and maximum heartrate.  Accofding to this monitor I've had my heartrate go as high as 220 BPM.  This alone is making me very skeptical about the readings I'm seeing.  Although I wouldn't be 100% surprised if it was going that high (although if it is, its likely for VERY brief durations).

ideas?  thoughts?  comments?  concerns?

I'm starting to think I have a faulty heartrate monitor...

Still doesn't explain  my HR staying at 120BPM for 20-30 minutes post workout though (that one I measure by taking my pulse).

1armedScissor - I'm starting to think I have a faulty heartrate monitor...

Still doesn't explain  my HR staying at 120BPM for 20-30 minutes post workout though (that one I measure by taking my pulse).

Dude, seriously. Learn to check your pulse and use a watch. I use a 6 second countdown, and multiply by 10. I'm usually within 5-10 BPM of what any HR monitor tells me.

Dude, seriously.  I know how to take my pulse and I also know how to count and do multiplication. 

Long division on the other hand... 

edited for spelling

Hey CS,

A 6-second count is notoriously inaccurate.

TAKU T.N.T.

When I manually figure out my BPM by taking my pulse I take it for 15 seconds and multiply by 4

Exercise your brain too and take it for 16 seconds, then multiply it by 3.75

Taku -  Hey CS,

A 6-second count is notoriously inaccurate.

TAKU T.N.T.

Taku, I'll agree that it is not a gold standard. After all, being off by as little as 1 beat is a change of 10 BPM by the math. But, when you merely want to figure out if you're in your cardio training range, it's not too bad. I also like it because I can pause for just a few seconds, instead of 15 or so.

Joel;

I replaced the batteries in my heartrate monitor and tried this again.  It took me 2 minutes and 26 seconds to get my heartrate up to 188 BPM and I stayed @ or above 188 for another 5 minutes after that.  I would then rest (walking leisurely on a treadmill) until my heartrate was around 120 BPM (I can't seem to get any lower after exercising like this, thus my numerous posts on this so far), and then repeat this.  I did this 3 times.

Again my recovery is still bothering me.  2 minutes after stopping my heartrate was @ 140BPM, 3 minutes it was at 130BPM, 10 minutes 120 BPM, 20 minutes 120 BPM.

It definitely sounds higher than normal but it's not completely out of the range of normal. Taking 2 minutes to get back down to 140 is certainly not ideal, but it's fairly common after 3 intense sprints. It should come down to below 120 after 20 minutes, but again I've seen it before and it's something you need to work on and impove but it's nothing to be concerned about from a medical standpoint or anything. Work on your cardiac output and heart rate recovery and it will improve.

Whoa, good info here! Joel, I started my training career with low-intensity endurance-type training, but haven't done any for at least 2-3 years.

The last time was a short stretch of long distance-running for a race. Before that there were more years and years with no steady-state, low intensity endurance-training.

During the last 6-7 years I've done loads of strength-endurance-type training, circuits, crossfit-style training, long sets with heavy kettlebells etc. I haven't improved on my benchmark (high intensity) endurance-test in the last year or so (despite training hard).

I know you told 1AS to do some testing first, but it's got to be safe to assume I would benefit from some lower intensity cardio at this point right? If I set out to increase my eccentric cardiac hypertrophy, could I still force this adaption even after all the high-intensity-stuff? And would my normal high-intensity-training interfer with this adaption? Basically, can both adaptions be forced during the same training-period?

8weeksout - It definitely sounds higher than normal but it's not completely out of the range of normal. Taking 2 minutes to get back down to 140 is certainly not ideal, but it's fairly common after 3 intense sprints. It should come down to below 120 after 20 minutes, but again I've seen it before and it's something you need to work on and impove but it's nothing to be concerned about from a medical standpoint or anything. Work on your cardiac output and heart rate recovery and it will improve.

How do I work on my cardiac output and heartrate recovery differently than I'm doing now?  LSD?

I have no idea what you're doing now, but in general yes LSD for cardiac output and relatively short to moderate range intervals with full recovery down to 130 for HRR will be where you want to spend most of your time.

t

tag