MMA Museum : Murilo Bustamonte

1 Like

Murilo Bustamante was one of the original Carlson Gracie Team members that burst onto the scene during the early 1990’s, when the sport of MMA was just a baby. Though not one of your typical Brazilian street fighters, he took part in the legendary 1991 JJ-Luta Livre challenges and went on to become the first Brazilian to hold a UFC weight-class title. We even got him to crack a smile in this one.

1 Like

That Matt Lindland fight was a weird one. Lindland taps then pretends he didn’t.

1 Like

stud

1 Like

lindland is a smelly scum bag. i kinda like him though.

1 Like

I used to hate his style. Before I really got into wrestling it looked liked all he did was put his head in betweens dudes crotches and try and grab their legs.

He was so one dimensional, fought tooth and nail for the takedown and if he couldn’t get it he was done.

Still, dude must’ve been a nightmare to grapple.

1 Like

I’ll be listening to this later

One dimensional? Everyone was pretty one dimensional in the 90’s.

He was a MW who went the distance with Chuck at LHW when Chuck was KOing guys like Overeem, Randleman, Mezger, Babalu etc…

He TKOed Menne to win the UFC title. Dropped a SD to Rampage and Hendo up at LHW and I think he won the Hendo fight. Finished Minowa with soccer kicks.

One of the very best MW’s of his era. Fought HW’s and LHW’s besides being one of the four best MW’s on the planet in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

2 Likes

Bustamante was one of the very best fighters in NHB and MMA for a decade.

4 Likes

even stepped in to face Tom Erikson, which is absolutely crazy.

3 Likes

It’s been so long, I forgot how successful he was. The main thing that really stayed with me was that his style was very boring to watch. I’m not going to backpedal on that one.

That’s what made what Hendo did to him so impressive

1 Like

In the first fight? For sure. His KO of Renzo was like that too. Renzo had recently submitted Maurice Smith and had very close fights with Tamura and Sakuraba when Hendo KOed him. He was no joke either.

The Renzo one was Hendo’s first big KO…people were calling him Decision Dan before that. Newer fans worshiped him after the H-Bomb on Bisping at UFC 100 and it just took me back to the “Decision Dan” days and I had to laugh.

lol crazy that decision dan turned into a bit of a KO artist. probably around the time he started topping up his test levels.

1 Like

Like even now… Hendo is like the UG’s favorite fighter, and I’m over here like, “I never figured Decision Dan would become American fans biggest hero one day”.

A Fedor Hendo Strikeforce rematch and maybe trilogy would have been fun but it was not meant to be as Fedor had to enter the HW GP.

1 Like

LEGEND :sunglasses:

3 Likes

LOLOrtenzOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

He looks like Frankenstein in that pic.

1 Like

Hey Busta.Why the long face?

1 Like