MMA needs Age divisions !!!

MMA is getting to the point of popularity where it is time to have at least an 18 to 21 year old division. This would allow those guys to develop their skills before moving to the open division. This would eliminate the back and forth bullshit matchmaking etc. It would be simple as if you fall in that age range, you are able to fight anybody in your own weight. It would be similar to the olympic range for pro boxing, the college stage for wrestling , and the belt systems for BJJ.

This would also siphon out the guys who shouldnt really move on to the open division. Just like in D-1 wrestling or for that matter any division. Not every D-1 wrestler moves on to the olympics or international style or MMA. That goes for boxing too as not every amateur enters pro boxing when his record is 5 wins and 10 losses.

A great example would be an actual fight coming up with out using the names. One guy is barely twenty and was a good wrestler in HS which is considered an advantage in MMA/he also is a blue belt. His opponent is in his upper twenties and a former D-1 wrestler who wrestled on a high level in college/who also holds a higher belt. Is it really fair to match thse two up ??? A 19/20 YO wrestler who really was a decent HS wrestler would never be matched against a high level wrestler who is in his physical prime ? ? ? IMHO, I believe the youngster should be in his own age division building his skill versus being completely out matched by the older more developed opponent..

I know there are many examples but I am just using this one. Besides Tyson, how many 18,19,20 turn pro in boxing and are actually ready ???

Looking forward to your feedback...

And a "Rusty Nails" division for the older guys beyond their prime or willingness to learn or get better.

no

wow that sound ridiculous

I don't agree and here's why...

I am 19 and I faught a guy in his mid 20's. Even though he was older than me, I still have been training longer than him. Age has nothing to do with skill, therefore the age division is pretty much useless.

Excellent post Brasco I know the fight that you are talking about in Orlando.

I totally agree with you. That is where Florida is lacking, maybe with an amatuer fight league it will help.
Thanks,
Ross

It would also add interest to the prospects coming up and add to excitement to the guy who dominates that age range making his open division debut.....

It would also get rid of the cans who guys pad their record with. This is a sport now...

Some of you guys talk about it becoming an olympic sport ??? Well, lets start treating it like one. A developmental program needs to be instituted...IMHO

Master's division would be cool. Get some of the greats back in there.

"It would also get rid of the cans who guys pad their record with. This is a sport now..."

Do you NOT think that many a prospect's record in boxing was heavily padded by cans here and there?

But they are all legit pros moreso than MMA.

"But they are all legit pros moreso than MMA. "

I think that is more relative to the state than the Sport, just like MMA. There are aplenty of jobber boxers out there. The PROSPECTS tend to have very,very solid amatuer backgrounds and good training pedigrees, but becoming a licensed pro boxer is simply a matter of buying the license in alot of cases.

"MMA just needs a more organized amateur level..."

Ohio is doing an outstanding job with amateur MMA. and has already included a 35 and older division.

ok..well, i live in Florida and am not familiar with some other states. I am glad to hear about Ohio...

"A great example would be an actual fight coming up with out using the names. One guy is barely twenty and was a good wrestler in HS which is considered an advantage in MMA/he also is a blue belt. His opponent is in his upper twenties and a former D-1 wrestler who wrestled on a high level in college/who also holds a higher belt. Is it really fair to match thse two up ??? A 19/20 YO wrestler who really was a decent HS wrestler would never be matched against a high level wrestler who is in his physical prime ? ? ? IMHO, I believe the youngster should be in his own age division building his skill versus being completely out matched by the older more developed opponent.. "

Got a real easy answer on this one as well, LISTEN TO TRAINERS AND MANAGERS AND DONT MAKE FIGHTS YOURSELF. ITs the trainer/coaches responsibility to his fighter to tell him what he's ready for. NOT THE PROMOTERS. Promoters are there to sell tickets and make money, NOT DO WHAT IS BEST FOR EACH FIGHTER. Trainers should have the balls to tell their fighters and promoters no when they smell a mismatch. Especially amatuer fights. But there are alot of guys out there who either dont have a good trainer/team or who refuse to listen to them, and as grown men, they reap what they sow.

I would get motivated by a Seniors division - 40 to 50, and Couture doesn't count, honorary 28 year old for life.

Terrible idea.

hell even Track and Field has a junior, open and masters division

Theres amateur and pro.
Thats enough.

maybe in sub wrestling or pankration .a under 21 team would be great now that the movement has started towards a place in the olympics