MMA rules horrible for bjj

3 5 minute rounds, if they were changed to 1 15 minute round I feel that a bjj guy who was working to wear out his opponent than finish could be much more successful.

Also why does some one have to stand up when they are on there backs? Shouldn't they be allowed to stay there if they are comfortable? Should be the on the other guy to engage imo

I agree. Also gloves and speedos. There was a "lummox" tournament i had from japan years ago where they fought on a huge mat, no cage, no gloves, gi's and the techniques were certainly different.

But, when you see a guy like that guy last night who beat Joe Stephens or when you see Damian Maia you have a real appreciation for how good they are.

The rules are there to protect wrestlers. 

mma is gay thats why. Vale Tudo is where its at.

The rules are designed to protect strikers and hurt ground fighters. Probably the most blatant example is the stand-up. I often see fights on the ground with a fair amount of action get stood up anyway. I know its to make exciting fights, but to me there should never be stand ups. If you are in a bad position you need to get out of it; not stall to get a stand up. If I have a guy in mount or side control I should be able to take my time to finish. What do you expect though?; MMA is for the fans.

And the gloves definitely make RNCs more difficult.

mad tiger - mma is gay thats why. Vale Tudo is where its at.

yeah, shame there is very little if any vale tudo anymore

thebigkahuna - The rules are designed to protect strikers and hurt ground fighters. Probably the most blatant example is the stand-up. I often see fights on the ground with a fair amount of action get stood up anyway. I know its to make exciting fights, but to me there should never be stand ups. If you are in a bad position you need to get out of it; not stall to get a stand up. If I have a guy in mount or side control I should be able to take my time to finish. What do you expect though?; MMA is for the fans.

also there are so many boring no action "stand up battles" in mma. but when there is little action in stand up i dont see the refs making fighters go to the ground, yet if there is a 10 second pause in movement on the ground they are forced to stand.

i also agree with the time limits. i loved the 10 minute 1st round in pride. although there were still snoozefests, the fights on average seemed to put out more action. not to mention they didnt really do standups.

I posted a thread a few months ago suggesting that all fighters should be forced to wear clothing (ie a gi) to make it more "real" but got a mixed response. unfortunately MMA targets the average yobbo who doesn't understand ground fighting but knows what a one-punch/kick knockout looks like and so I can't see it happening anytime soon. (although someone posted a vid from fights in Japan where they did this).

It would be good to see some great Judo throws and different subs as opposed to the sprawl/counter-punch that Cro Crop (for example) does so well.

And I agree on the time limits too. I think that the old Pride rules were great, a 10 min first round, and 5s after that.

BTW, on the subject of clothing, go the main forum there is a discussion of George Sots' clothing, where they're saying he is bending the rules by wearing knee-pads and ankle pads. AFAIK, the rules state you cannot wear anything other than shorts, so he is cleverly using another method to help his grip.

America is still obsessed with the big, western style knock out: Fighters will never be made to go to the ground when they are stagnating on the stand up - and providing for a boring fight echoed by boos. That would be "fair", but you will never get the average, Miller Lite Joe to appreciate this. Ahhhh, what can you say? Just follow the money.. I feel sorry for Demian Maia.... the man is a spectacular fighter and sportsman, he has to work so much harder to get those subs before the crowd starts whining and the ref is pressured by all the rules etc. to stand them back up. Why didn't this country just stick to boxing for that matter?

we already have "gi" and "no gi" grappling comps, maybe we should have "gi" and "no gi" MMA matches? In one set you are forced to wear (replica) clothes, and in the other you're practically nude. it would be an awesome accomplishment to be the current title holder in both divisions at one weight

(gets popcorn, awaiting to be flamed by UG)

thebigkahuna - The rules are designed to protect strikers and hurt ground fighters. Probably the most blatant example is the stand-up. I often see fights on the ground with a fair amount of action get stood up anyway. I know its to make exciting fights, but to me there should never be stand ups. If you are in a bad position you need to get out of it; not stall to get a stand up. If I have a guy in mount or side control I should be able to take my time to finish. What do you expect though?; MMA is for the fans.

Amen!  Well said.

Its not to protect the strikers or to hurt the grapplers..its to protect the company and to make them money. The biggest problem is that fans who don't train, don't understand the ground fight. I was guilty of this as a kid always rooting for strikers and hating the ground part UNLESS it was submission. I loved the submissions but hated everything it took to get there.

As I got older and understood more I enjoyed the ground aspects more..when I began training in Jiu-jitsu..I LOVED the ground aspect..now...The punching has become boring to me lol.

Every ruled is designed to make it constantly exciting to the average joe...because the average joes put money into the company and keep it alive.

Ah Hodgeny you do like to stir the hornet's nest! I too look forward to the responses! :-)
And yes I agree pride rules were better suited for BJJ players with their longer rounds!

They could let the fighters wear rashguards instead of GIs. It looks "less gay" to the average audience and less barbaric as well. But then again, I guess that a huge amount of MMA fans in the states are actually gay barbarian rednecks.

I would love to see no time limit fights, with no rounds and no stand ups. And Gi pants allowed.

I think there would be much more BJJ in MMA......

have you seen royce/shamrock 2?