Mo - Town - No - Town

Kevin Lee believes his retirement wasn’t meant to be.

Less than one year into his life post-combat, “The Mo-Town Phenom” got the itch to return to active competition. Taking to Twitter last week, Lee announced he’s getting in “the best shape of my life” ahead of the eventual 28th fight of his career (19-8).

The one-time interim lightweight title challenger’s last appearance was supposed to be the launching pad for a successful second stint in the UFC. Unfortunately for Lee, he came up short in 55 seconds when submitted by a Rinat Fakhretdinov guillotine choke this past July. So who could he look to rebound against for his next time out? A rematch of his October 2017 title tilt with Tony Ferguson interests Lee, but so do some other rather notable lightweight stars.

“There’s a couple great fights [I’m interested in],” Lee told MiddleEasy. “Tony Ferguson, maybe the winner or loser of Conor [McGregor] and [Michael] Chandler.

“I’m honestly not focused too much on opponents right now. I think I have a long road ahead of me as far as getting healthy [goes]. Two, getting into shape, and three, signing a contract. Then maybe we can look at location and then talk about opponents. So, it’s far down the road for me to be thinking about opponents.”

Nothing is set in stone in any facet as mentioned by Lee. Hell, the long-awaited McGregor vs. Chandler matchup still isn’t even official after what feels like an eternity of build. Ultimately, Lee expects to get something pinned down for the summer.

The 31-year-old has found his best success in the 155-pound lightweight class and strung together a strong five-fight winning streak before his third-round triangle choke defeat to Ferguson. After the Ferguson loss, he struggled to find a solid foundation at either lightweight or welterweight, however. Going forward, he believes it’s time to be as disciplined as possible and get back to the stability he had during his rise to title contention as a lightweight.

“It’s a tough cut, it’s always been a tough cut, but I’ve always been able to make it,” Lee said of lightweight. “The only time I wasn’t was for the Charles Oliveira fight, which I came close in but there was a lot of let’s say extenuating circumstances around the whole COVID thing and all that leading up to that fight and that weight cut that got it away. I think I’ve been a little soft about cutting weight over the last couple years. It’s tough, it’s probably the hardest part of the sport but I think it’s absolutely necessary, and especially if I’m gonna be chasing world championships. I have to go through it just like everybody else. We can look and we can say, ‘Oh, we shouldn’t be cutting weight or we should not blah, blah, blah,’ but at the end of the day, we gotta cut weight. If you want to compete, you’re gonna have to cut the weight and that’s what it is for me.

https://www.mmanews.com/news/kevin-lee-explains-conversation-with-mother-led-mma-comeback

Kevin Lee Explains How Conversation With His Mother Led To MMA Comeback Declaration

Lee reached a realization with some help.

edit

Lol, shut up Kev.

You are in no position to be calling out the likes of Conor, Chandler or even Tony.

You lost to a nobody in Ur last fight, just go to one or Pfellator,

Gross, you can see the Staph in the pic :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face: Dude should go to Rizin they might want him there…Big Maybe

0_46_gd7zhrW0jK5KA

mDCZYz

1 Like

BRUTAL BRUTAL

This is probably one of Lee’s more proud moments in MMA. He was freaking rocked and stuck with it and survived. Later on in his career he didnt have that same heart.