Modern Army Combatives

SFC Larsen,

I am currently stationed at DLIFLC in Monterey. I have a hand full of guys including some NCO's that I train with irregularly; due to classroom expectations, PT requirements and so-forth.

I really think that it is unfortunate that this BJJ style of training is not looked more positively upon - of yet. It seems to kill a lot birds in one throw: you are learning soldier skills, PTing, developing moral, the list goes on.

I have brought the idea to my immediate chain and the last comment I received was some babble about TRADOC regulation. This was after I had argued that this could be perceived as a PT alternative (after all soldiers are dismissed from PT for intermural soccer, softball, football, etc.)

Asking around I do know that the interest is high.

SPC Schmaltz

Sorry if this comes out sounding harsh. SPC Schmaltz, Don't air your units laundry in public. My two cents worth is to write up a training outline and send it up the NCO CoC. Highlight the pros, esprit de corp, moral, fitness, helps bring the unit in line with the new combatives program, etc. If you push to hard, the old timers will just shut your ideas down and you'll spend the rest of your time doing four mile unit runs.

Gerald Boggs

MLarsen: I agree with your point on being "certified".
Going through one course does NOT cut it. I believe that is one reson why the Gracie Academy requires GRAPLE instructors to re-certify every 6 months. Rorion wants to see how you teach and your proficiency in applying the techniques.You gotta know ii if your gonna teach it. Its a bit co$tly, but you gotta stay proficient at what you teach others. I've been involved with the program for 4 years. And just last year things started to get clear for me. GREAT THREAD!

Understood bobthethinker, pardon my enthusiasm. There are no problems with our current regiment whatsoever - I'd just like to see folks be more receptive as to what I see being an excellent training method. Change starts somewhere. I'm glad to see we have come as far as we have.

Ebola - One of your best courses of action might be to simply wait until you finsih your course out there and go to your first unit. It has been my expereince that making changes to what happens while in a school is like pissing in the wind.

One other aid to getting combatives as part of your units PT program. You need to be a super stud. Smoke your PT test and the CoC will be more willing to listen to your ideas.

Already did that with 299 at my last Co. - with new one - 256, but then was diagnosed + with mono, I've since recovered but hadn't been able to take the test the last 2 months. There should be one early in Dec.

BTW I had written an outline. But granted the situation I didn't feel it was right to just shove it in front of them.

SFC Larsen,
Are there currently any rough draft plans for placeing instructors in nat'l guard/reserve units?
I'm currently in a guard unit and while i know our training time is very limited, i'm a firm believer that
combat training is not just knowing how to fire your
personal weapons. I'm interested in how that plan might progress and how instructors are to be placed in the guard/reserve units...

Thank you

We train quite a few guard a reserve guys, mostly drill sergeants. We are trying to put level one programs into the regional training centers. There is allot of interest but things move slowly. I agree that there is a big opportunity with these units. Traditional PT programs do not really do you any good with only a couple of days a month, but you could get at least some results with that much combatives.

We are trying to do a trip to the Virginia/West Virginia area next summer to train somebody from each Guard armory. We also have some guys working in Iowa with Militich and Gable to get something going for their guard units.

Matt Larsen

Excellent news, SFC Larsen....appreciate you replying

Also, I'm glad to hear thats the approach thats being used to bring it to the guard/reserve units and that the fact that the couple of days a month is being taken
into consideration.

Thanks!

if the program makes use of local trainers and you have any use for someone in the Charlottesville, Va area. I'd be interested in helping out. Quick Bio:
ex-army paratrooper
blue belt from Rorion and Royce, now under Roy Harris as an apprentice instructor.
Have a training hall downtown.
train and fight both empty hand and with blunt weapons.

I have a full time job, but my boss is very good about letting me take time off for my passions.

Gerald Boggs

Training2bBetter: Try to talk the AGR staff at your unit into funding you to go to SFC Larsen's school TDY. I am sure they can find justification for it. It isn't an ATRRS school yet (at least I don't think so--Matt?), so you don't actually need orders. I've "walked-on" at Army schools before; all you need is permission from the course adiministrator, a place to stay, and a box of MRE's. It depends on how bad you want to go, and if your CoC will cover your fourth point of contact in case someone in your Plans, Training, and OPNs, shop finds out you went to school w/o orders (injuries while attending training being the biggest issue). But, they can cover you with orders if they want to, paid or unpaid.

Anyway, Matt, I thought you guys were going to stay away from the MTT??? Remember what you told me about the MFT guys? And oh, by the way, SFC Larsen, do you teach or would you consider teaching non-DOD civilians? Some of my former Officer Candidates are also State Policeman, and cadre at the State Trooper's Academy. They got a hold of the new Combatives Manual, and now they want to teach Modern Army Combatives at the Academy. I was flattered when they asked me if I would teach, but I told them "I'm not the man" (time to do it being my biggest problem), so don't be suprised if you or someone else with the 11th gets a call from the Cadre at the LA State Police Academy wanting to come to Fort Benning.

Back to your question Training2bBetter. If you need help justifying attending Matt's school, I did an Information Paper with slide show on the impact of practicing Modern Army Combatives in traditional National Guard Officer Candidate School (14 IDT weekends and two 2-week annual training periods)versus doing PT. It is good stuff.

Matt, did you ever get the paper and slide show. I e-mailed them to the 11th IN REGT OPS SGM. I don't know if they got passed on to you.

Lt. Dan

Hey, thanks for the advice there...havent looked at this post in awhile...glad i decided to check up on it.

Train

Archive? Please? Pretty please?

Do you want this archived now? I only ask because I haven't been following this particular thread for some time...

Talked to a gentleman that wanted to read this. So ttt.