Modern BJJ

tf1 - 

New school puts a bigger emphasis on drilling. Guys who drill do way better than guys who don't   

What do YOU mean by 'drilling'?

Dammit I was about to drop a knowledge bomb on ya'll bout running a gym. Whatever it has to be short now, piece of shit crashed. 1. Remember that RESPECT is a 2 way street. Yo ugotta EARN their respect, just as much as they are feeling the pressure to earn yours(and never forget that as head coach you are supposed to be a role model with good advice...and dont ever be a coward who wont roll with his students. My coach rememdies THAT by having "whole class takes turns sparing the black belts" dayand I have seen my head coach tapped by a respectable blue belt. He didnt make any excuses and neither should you, because if you actually have their respect, they either wont care that you tapped out, OR they will come up with some excuse for WHY you lost in their own heads. Once you become a coach, well, a head coach, you become the General, and the students are your soldiers.

If you have the funds, I highly suggest contracting a certified MT or boxing instructor, hopefully either one that knows the game and is old, or a young guy whose very good at that striking art, but wants to learn JJ. Those two types of guys make great instructors for your gym. People want all their martial arts all in one place. Are you gonna redirect them somewhere, where they might meet some JJ BB whose scouting for students for his OWN gym? Thats a real and serious risk. Its smarter to bring the striking to your students than risk letting a competitor ensare them away.

We all love JJ, even a grinch like me, but MMA is prob 200,000x as popular as Eddie bravo invitational and all the other big JJ comps combined. Training up a super JJ prodigy might be YOUR goal, but what about the students? Consider their goals. I say, encourage them to not only compete in local JJ but in local kickboxing bouts, and eventually, in local MMA fights. Since the ammy MMA holds the highest risk save it for last. Ammy JJ and Ammy kickboxing(or boxing) matches come first, they will see these as simple prepariation, or a TEST, to see if they really wanna do MMA

Oh and JJ purists often forget what they are doing its like a big game to some fellows, no offense either, But your students will never forget(at least until they've been doing it for 15-20 years) what JJ and what MT and boxing and MMA is; that at its core, all of them are fights, with a winner and loser. This is why new white belts spazz out, they desperately dont wanna get their arm ripped off, but they wanna get that other guy. In a masters mind its a chess match in a new white belts mind its at its purist, a battle for survival, with tap signifying "if we were doing it for real, you woulda killed me". You dont forget that either.Also, you having at least 1 amateur MMA fighter in your stable that you sponsor(let him train for free, hes fighting with your company name on his shorts after all) will help your positive PR quite a bitl you will instantly be seen as legit and badass even by ufc casuals that never done nuthin martial before. That attracts students, oh, and never let them forget that its because of YOUR training and YOUR team that your fighter is knocking dudes out; and if some young guy comes in asking, tell him he can do it too with the right training program; thats the truth,but I suggest saying "train JJ and MT, both, for a full year each, you need to attend at least one class a week" if they come through, you can setup a little ammy fight on an undercard in sacramento or something, but use this chance to encourage them to compete in both sport JJ matches AND ammy kickboxing or ammy boxing matches. Marcello garcia doesnt make money. MMA fighters make money and are seen as way more badass, by both the smart man, and by the man who let his body and brain fall prey to cheetos and bagel bites. You can train up a master JJ comp winner AFTER you have your mma fighter and are financially stable. Best of luck new Gym Owners....and remember...respect is not gained by showing a black belt. You have to roll with your guys, you dont gotta spar striking with em, but you do gotta roll, and be man enough to give them chances, even if u lose. Respects a two way street.

shen -
tf1 - 

New school puts a bigger emphasis on drilling. Guys who drill do way better than guys who don't   

What do YOU mean by 'drilling'?

Don't play coy with me. You know what we mean by drilling. 

The definition of drilling is very broad. The drilling you're most likely talking about is static, high repetition of one move or sequence. But there are so many other forms. In Bernardo Faria's recent interview he said he doesn't do the static drilling and neither does Marcelo. I know there are quite a few elite competitors who don't drill statically.

ogjune - The definition of drilling is very broad. The drilling you're most likely talking about is static, high repetition of one move or sequence. But there are so many other forms. In Bernardo Faria's recent interview he said he doesn't do the static drilling and neither does Marcelo. I know there are quite a few elite competitors who don't drill statically.

Eaxctly. When people say 'drilling' they are often referring to very different types of practice. Static repetition of techniques, positional sparring or even flow rolling I have heard called "drilling".

I think of a drill as

You try to pass, you try to sweep. Whenever one of those happens reset and go again.

Doing the move five times when your guy is letting you isn't drilling

I do high repeition, 'static' drilling all the time. You can't do more complicated techniques well without putting in a lot of reps. I do this until I've developed the movement. After I've developed that level of understanding, I practice it with some sort of resistance and start using it on the blue belts (can't do anything with white belts).