Monday Night Boxing to Fox Sports 1

Monday Night Boxing

Tomorrow in New York City, Golden Boy Promotions will announce details of their new Monday night boxing series appearing on FOX Sports 1, which is replacing Fox’s Speed channel in mid-August. The deal consists of 24 live Monday Night telecasts to take place over the next year across the country. The first show will take place on August 19 at the 2,100-seat Best Buy Theater in Times Square with middleweight contender Danny “Miracle Man” Jacobs (25-1, 22 KOs) against former world title challenger Giovanni Lorenzo (32-5, 24 KOs) in the featured attraction.

http://www.fightnews.com/

Cool the more combat sports the better. Glory is on spike now too right? Phone Post 3.0

That is a blessing. This new Fox Sports 1, I guess I missed the boat on this. I know that UFC is moving their programming from Fuel to FS but do we know if FS will be more widely available than Fuel? I don't get Fuel on my package.

Great news Phone Post 3.0

jTheHybridwolff - Great news Phone Post 3.0

Fox Sports 1 is going to be a nice addition. Combat sports in general are really on an uptick.

Here is the press release:

"FOX Sports and Golden Boy Promotions, founded by 10-time World Champion Oscar De La Hoya, have reached a multi-media rights extension to televise exciting live boxing in the United States and internationally. The new multi-year agreement keeps Golden Boy Promotions' bouts with FOX Sports for years to come, and helps establish a new Monday night boxing franchise on FOX Sports 1 (FS1), FOX Sports' new, national multi-sport cable channel launching on Aug. 17. Financial terms were not disclosed.

"When we started Golden Boy, we made a promise to only do business with the best companies out there," said De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "To be partnered with FOX on this sensational series is a great fit. We look forward to working with FOX Sports 1 for years to come in giving fans the best boxing matches available."

"Led by the dynamic Oscar De La Hoya and its Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer, Golden Boy Promotions has developed a great reputation over the last several years for putting together exciting cards with top-flight fighters," said Patrick Crakes, Senior Vice President, Programming & Research, FOX Sports. "It's great that we've been able to build upon and expand what has already been a fruitful relationship that benefits multiple networks in the FOX Sports family, domestically and internationally."

Under the new agreement, FOX Sports retains exclusive domestic rights to 48 live two-hour events (featuring two or three fights per event) annually with many of Golden Boy Promotions' brightest stars expected to be featured. FS1 is scheduling 24 live events per year, with FOX Deportes, the nation's leading Spanish-language sports network, airing all 48 events live, an increase from 36 in the previous deal. The 24 events on FS1 will all originate in the U.S., and most are expected to run on Monday nights once the network launches. FOX Deportes will simulcast the same 24 events as FS1 in Spanish, plus air 24 others that originate from Mexico. Once events air on FS1, each will be available for encore presentations on FOX Sports regional networks. Fox International Channels also holds exclusive rights to all 48 live fights in the Central America, South America, the Caribbean, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe (excluding the U.K.) and Middle East territories. Finally, all events will be available via authenticated streaming through FOX Sports Go.

"We are thrilled to partner with FOX as the boxing provider for FOX Sports 1 and FOX Deportes," added Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer. "For years, the best of boxing has been available primarily on premium cable and pay-per-view only, but our partnership with FOX Sports signifies a major step-up in exposure for the fighter, Golden Boy Promotions and the entire sport. We are confident that with our mix of world class fights and fighters combined with the reach and promotional capacities that FOX Sports provides, the sky is really the limit for us all."

In addition to Golden Boy's live events, all FOX Sports channels have access to 24 classic archived events from the promoter's extensive library. Archive fights feature many of boxing biggest names, including De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez and Shane Mosley."

This is great gold boy has been killing it lately and this fox sports 1 is looking really good! To bad glory didn't get on their network would of had the best combat promotions in the same channel. Phone Post 3.0

Awesome Phone Post

Golden Boy starts fight series Aug. 19

Updated: July 24, 2013, 12:13 AM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

There's "Monday Night Football," so how about boxing on Monday nights too?

Light heavyweight titleholder Bernard Hopkins put down his belt for the day and put on his Golden Boy Promotions hat -- he's a partner in the company -- to host a news conference in midtown Manhattan on Tuesday to announce the company's deal with the new Fox Sports 1 cable network, which will air "Golden Boy Live!" cards every other week on Monday nights for 24 shows in the first year of the deal.

In addition to announcing the overall deal, Hopkins unveiled the inaugural card, which will take place Aug. 19, two days after the network launches in some 90 million homes, at the Best Buy Theater in New York and be headlined by middleweight Daniel Jacobs, 2009 ESPN.com prospect of the year.

Jacobs (25-1, 22 KOs), a 26-year-old from Brooklyn, will face Giovanni Lorenzo (32-5, 24 KOs), 32, a New York resident from the Dominican Republic, in a scheduled 10-round bout.

"This [series] is history that I believe will help all young fighters to build their names, build their records and become household names in order to continue to come up in the rankings and be superstars in the future," Hopkins said. "Boxing on Monday nights is something fans will be watching. What a great way to start the week by watching Monday night boxing.

The fight will be Jacobs' fourth since nearly dying from a rare form of bone cancer that left him with a tumor wrapped around his spine, partial paralysis and little chance of living, much less fighting again. But Jacobs beat the disease -- he has been declared cancer free by his doctors -- and returned to action at full strength last October after being sidelined for 19 months."This is the first of the 24 shows and there's going to constantly be more fights [on Fox Sports 1]. When I was coming up, we had 'Tuesday Night Fights' [on USA Network]. Now, we have [Monday night fights on] Fox Sports 1."

Lorenzo has loads of experience against several name fighters but has lost decisions in three shots at versions of middleweight world titles.

In the co-feature, Bronx welterweight Eddie Gomez (14-0, 9 KOs) will face Steve Upsher Chambers (24-2-1, 6 KOs) of Philadelphia in an eight-round bout.

Also on the card will be two New York prospects: 2012 U.S. Olympian and Staten Island native Marcus Browne (5-0, 5 KOs), whose bout against an opponent to be determined is slated to be part of the telecast, and Brooklyn bantamweight Claude Staten Jr. (1-0), who will face an opponent to be determined on the untelevised portion of the card.

Jacobs is lucky to be alive and appreciated all the attention lavished on him on Tuesday.

"All this for me? This is amazing. I'm truly blessed," he told the audience. "God has been with me since day one. I'm fortunate to be here and to have my own main event. Two years ago, I was battling a war. I was paralyzed in a hospital battling cancer, so for me to come back and have my own main event in Times Square, it doesn't get any better than that.

"I'm fortunate to be a part of this and to be able to say to my son that his daddy was a part of something special. Giovanni is a tremendous fighter, a very good fighter, and I know he's going to bring it come fight night. He's going to be a tough test. I know Giovanni says he has a sturdy chin and a good punch, but you can't hit what you can't see. I have very quick hand speed, very good punching power and my knockout ratio is up there. Much respect to [Lorenzo's] camp, but Monday night [Aug. 19] it's going to be all Danny Jacobs."

Said Lorenzo, "I'm very happy I'm fighting in Manhattan after so many years. It's been a while since I've fought amongst my people. I look forward to facing Danny Jacobs, who is a very good fighter. One thing I know is that I have a sturdy chin, I can pack a punch and I'm going to be victorious Aug. 19. That is all."