Monte Cox Has Authored a New Book

Could be an entertaining read for OG UFC fans but there are probably not 0.1% of modern fans that can name one of those cover athletes.

5 Likes

Since it’s years overdue, it better not hold anything back.

3 Likes

There’s so much to say about Monte. He was my best, most consistent source in the US when I was running the #1 site in the world during the 90’s, while NHB/MMA was tittering on the edge of extinction due to the cable ban, bad press and political pressure. If there is any single person that kept MMA alive during that time in the US, it is Monte.

This book has the potential to be truly incredible.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info and link HongKong! Ordered it on Amazon immediately.

3 Likes

I met Bobby Hoffman once at a Barnes and Noble in Brea, Ca. He looked to be methed out of his brain and he was reading an article about himself from a magazine. He grunted when I said,” hey you are Bobby Hoffman”.

2 Likes

As the Miletich fighters began to carve out a reputation as the baddest men on the planet, there was a chord of sadism being thrummed through Bettendorf. Though some pockets of the country were beginning to catch up with these early MMA forerunners, the Midwest – Monte Cox’s theater for promoting cards – was a land littered with casualties.

To level the playing field at least a little bit, Cox and company would begin to impose restrictions on fighters heading into bouts, just to keep things interesting. Fighters like Horn, who himself exists as an active anthology of fight game lore with 116 professional MMA bouts, were subjected to this kind of whimsy and experimentation.

“I would corner Jeremy Horn with Matt Hughes, and we’d be sitting in a corner and Matt would go, ‘Monte, what should we not let old Jeremy do today?’” Cox says. “And I’d say, ‘Well, this guy’s not that good, we can’t give him everything. And Hughes says, ‘I agree, what if the first round he can just do kicks?’ And Jeremy, who’s just about to go out there says, ‘Shut the fuck up!’ We shake our heads. ‘Nope, first round, just kicks.’”

This was in 2001, when Horn fought Dan Theodore at Ultimate Wrestling Minnesota in just his 66th professional fight. Two months earlier, he’d fought Ricardo Arona in Japan. Before then he’d already fought the likes of Randy Couture, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Chuck Liddell, whom he choked out at UFC 19 in Bay St. Louis, Miss.

Theodore, in other words, was a potboiler.

“So Jeremy’s holding Theodore in the corner, kicking him the entire round, and when it ends he comes back and says, ‘Come on guys,’” Cox remembers. “Hughes says, ‘Maybe we should give him something else. We can’t just let you punch him, because that’ll end it right away – but what about knees?’ Jeremy just mutters, ‘You bastards.’ So he turns around, goes back out and fights a little bit, kick, kick, gets him in a Thai clinch and knocks him out with a knee. Over.”

There are endless stories like this one from those glory days, when the axis of power belonged to Bettendorf.

“The funny thing was that Theodore goes on the Underground afterwards,” Cox said. “He writes, ‘You know, I did a lot better against Jeremy than I thought. The first round was back and forth, he didn’t really land anything, my defense was good,’ and all this. And we’re sitting there like … you dumb ass.”

Wooooooooo!

Dan Theodore is Dan The Wolfman.

14 Likes

Lol that is freaking legendary and hilarious

4 Likes

Im crying im laughing so hard at this dan Theodore story!! Im fucking deceased!!! Bwhahahaaaa!!!

5 Likes

Watch you mouth call Wolfman lame

3 Likes

I’ve have verbally slapped Wolfie around like a red headed step child.But I’ve also given him his props like the power in his punches.

1 Like

I recall meeting Monte back in the day. He was really friendly, and even in a purely social setting, he exuded professionalism.

3 Likes

Sean McCorkle use to use Monte…

I wonder if we will get another book review

Left to right:

Emo B-Rad, Bald Ricky (from TBP), FamersOnly guy, Jim Carrey, and the guy that works at the hardware store

Bald Ricky :rofl:

I used to love TPB, lived in their town for a few years in their early peak, they used to be at the bars a lot and Lahey used to work across the street from me. Met the main dudes once but oddly in another city.

Haven’t seen the show since Netflix took it over. Crazy life the franchise ended up having. Massive second life with some US popularity.

I wonder how many fans these days even know the name monte cox. I’m familiar with him because I’m in the upper midwest and attended several of his shows back in the day.

I’m not knocking anyone for that, but his promotion was regional so I wonder what kind of name recognition he has. Hopefully the book is a good read and places like this can help generate sales.

5 Likes

That is another great point.

I’m sure not many these days.

1 Like

Loved fcf mag looked forward to it each month but do u remember fighting sports newsletter was flimsy made but was awesome
Both collectors items.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing this being a Barnes and Noble bestseller but every hardcore mma fan should pick this up. Monte Cox made mma in the midwest and without the talent pool he managed the UFC wouldn’t be where it is today.

I imagine this being full of insight like Clyde Gentrys book

11 Likes

Maybe he really knows what Matt and Mark did behind the barn.

I’ll be wanting the autographed version if so.

ken jeong ha gay GIF

1 Like

Judging by their natural strength and work ethic I’d say it was probably work.

2 Likes