Monte Cox's new "Adrenaline MMA"

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/3/28/233429/929

So, as expected, Tim Sylvia made the mistake Leland Rolling tried to warn him against making. He "signed" with his manager Monte Cox's new promotion -- what was M-1 Global is now Adrenaline MMA. And they've signed Sylvia to a "non-exclusive" contract. Also signing are fellow Monte Cox clients Ben Rothwell and Eddie Alvarez. They also announced one fight for their first event:

Adrenaline will make its debut on June 14 in Chicago, Ill. at the Sears Centre with one fight already officially signed. Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Jeff Monson will face Pride veteran Mike Russow in a heavyweight battle.

You might recall Monte "managing" Ben Rothwell right out of the IFL Grand Prix. I guess he was already putting his promotion ahead of his fighters' interest even back then.

They say a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client. What should we call fighters who "sign" to fight with their manager's promotion?

This happens more than you think. I haven't seen to many fighters bitching about it. If a fighter is happy then why should we bitch? Every person has the right to make their own decisions. If Tim bitched about being screwed that's one thing but until then I say it's his decision.

I dont like to comment on what another man wears, but thats not a good look for monte

should go with the soprano sweat suit look

It is also Illegal to have a promoter be a manager... I believe it's called the Muhammad Ali Act...... But when have we ever seen illegal things happen in MMA.....

Mikey, could you tell noobs the Monte and SEG stories from back in the day?

hard to believe anyone could be so stupid

I wonder how the heck they're planning to pay Tim more than the UFC. Or maybe his manager convinced him it would be better to fight more times per year in various orgs, but for less money each time. He better pray really hard he doesn't get injured after his first fight if that's the case.

"It is also Illegal to have a promoter be a manager... I believe it's called the Muhammad Ali Act...... But when have we ever seen illegal things happen in MMA..... "

Mickey, The Muhammad Ali act is Federal Law that is only applicable to boxing.

"Mickey, The Muhammad Ali act is Federal Law that is only applicable to boxing."

While that is probably true, the NSAC does in fact have rules against a manager being a promoter at the same time.  We had this discussion on here last year and I wrote to the NSAC for clarification.  I will try and dig up he email I received back from them and post it here.

"While that is probably true, the NSAC does in fact have rules against a manager being a promoter at the same time. We had this discussion on here last year and I wrote to the NSAC for clarification. I will try and dig up he email I received back from them and post it here. "

True, but it is on a state by state basis not Federal legislation like the Muhammad Ali act.

Fuckin hatin