Morals?

Looks like Shogun is an instructor with morals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck4UjEzl3DM&feature=youtu.be

Some good points both ways - Obviously it's not clear cut!

He's a younger guy, and it's not in his past. We're talking guys storming his house with baseball bats and beating the shit out of roommates only a week or 2 ago.

Chango - that's the problem. Fundamentally, I agree with you. Practically though, it doesn't feel right. I know we've got guys on the mat who are no angels, but this just doesn't sit well to me.

Andrew, you make an excellent point about walking away myself, and it is something I have considered at length. Still not sure, but I guess that my perspective is that it is my instructor's call as to who he has train at his gym, not mine. In saying that, if he chooses to have this dude at the gym, do I really want to be there? I could understand if he did let this guy train though - after all, both our money is the same colour.

Allchokedup - First of all, it's great that you have climbed out of your past situation. If only everyone could! I'm a school teacher, and this guy deals to kids at my school. As a teacher I am one of those who does everything I can to help kids and support them through their mistakes (and lets get real here, we all make them, no matter how old or young). That's got nothing to do with the whole debate over what should or shouldn't be illegal whatsoever. Right now, from what I understand this dude has no intention of changing his ways. if he was reforming, recovering, whatever you want to call it, I'd agree 100% that a gym would be an exceptionally supportive environment.As it stands though, I can't see that being the case.

all i used to do in my spare time (which was all day and night) was get fucked up... on pretty much anything i could get my hands on. i started jiu jitsu in a couple months i was only smoking weed and in a few years that has even disappeared from my life. and ill say i did not start jiu jitsu with the intention of "reforming" it just happened.

jiu jitsu is the type of activity that can and will change a person forever.. usually for the better. taking that away from this guy because you know something about him is unfair. this guy just like anyone deserves a shot to make it right, and if hes not harming anyone there he deserves a shot at the academy IMO.

now if his activities start to cause problems in the academy then that is another issue.

gumby1 - Some good points both ways - Obviously it's not clear cut!

He's a younger guy, and it's not in his past. We're talking guys storming his house with baseball bats and beating the shit out of roommates only a week or 2 ago.

Chango - that's the problem. Fundamentally, I agree with you. Practically though, it doesn't feel right. I know we've got guys on the mat who are no angels, but this just doesn't sit well to me.

Andrew, you make an excellent point about walking away myself, and it is something I have considered at length. Still not sure, but I guess that my perspective is that it is my instructor's call as to who he has train at his gym, not mine. In saying that, if he chooses to have this dude at the gym, do I really want to be there? I could understand if he did let this guy train though - after all, both our money is the same colour.

Allchokedup - First of all, it's great that you have climbed out of your past situation. If only everyone could! I'm a school teacher, and this guy deals to kids at my school. As a teacher I am one of those who does everything I can to help kids and support them through their mistakes (and lets get real here, we all make them, no matter how old or young). That's got nothing to do with the whole debate over what should or shouldn't be illegal whatsoever. Right now, from what I understand this dude has no intention of changing his ways. if he was reforming, recovering, whatever you want to call it, I'd agree 100% that a gym would be an exceptionally supportive environment.As it stands though, I can't see that being the case.

i smoked and drank when i started BJJ. I was bottom of the barrel in what seems like past life. I had no intentions of changing just wanted to be a "bad-ass". Just did something to me andi think alot of it was my coachs attitude towards me. He is very accepting but doesnt take no BS. He offered me a path and i am following it.

if you are a teacher at the school where he is known to sell, doesn't that put you in a very bad position?

Teachers get fired for posting stuff on facebook.

How do you think the administration is going to look at a teacher 'being friends' (because make no mistake when you are at a tourament, wearing your medals with your arms around each other giving the chaka that is exactly how it is going to look on facebook) with a known drug dealer who sells to kids at his own school?