More GTA info...

ttt

ttt

ttt

ttt

ttt

ttt

MawwwK!!!

Have women's weight classes been set yet?

Not to my knowledge but they should. 115 and under, 128 and under and 128 plus and up

Yup, definately should. Increases attendance, as some will not show up without it.

ttt

re: Women's weight categories..

"Yup, definitely should. Increases attendance, as some will not show up without it."

-I agree totally!

"Not to my knowledge but they should. 115 and under, 128 and under and 128 plus and up"

-Kashk, strange selection for weight categories.

-Mark, here is my two cents. I have probably seen over 30 tournaments with women's divisions. Most adult women walk around at least 130. I don't know of to many adult women who do sports who weigh under 115. Unless they are 12!!

From what I have seen, two divisions with the cut around 135 works best (Bud World Cup uses 140). If you have a lot of lighter fighters move it down to 130.

If you go with 3 divisions, I would go 125 and under, 139.9 and under and 140 and above.

Take care.

Pete.

Hotel information for people coming from out of town?

"Kashk, strange selection for weight categories."

It's what they had at Joslins. I think they had 3 women in -115.

TF/Pete...i know you don't mean any harm but I think you are totally wrong in saying that, "Most adult women walk around at least 130. I don't know of to many adult women who do sports who weigh under 115. Unless they are 12!!"

I don't know which tournies you're talking about, but I fight between 112-115lbs and i'm not 12 yrs old. I have been to many tournies both in canada and the states and yes, there are not as many women under 115 but they definately exist. In fact just last week i hosted a open matt for women and all 5 of us were under 120 lbs. MANy times at tournies all us light weights are grouped in with the heavier girls b/c either there are not enough women or they just decided not to make a weight class for us. Joslins was great this year and we had 3 girls in the 115 and under. I've competed in GQ and tehy have 119 and under for women and we had 4 girls in that. At pan ams the weight class is even lighter and apparently there are plenty of girls. Same deal with Arnolds in march.

So only making 2 weight classes for women (140 under and over) doesnt' make sense to me b/c it for sure scares off some of the lighter girls. Plus it's not that motivating to know that i'm going in to fight with girls possible more than 20 lbs heavier than me.

I personally think having 3 weight classes for women is the best (for smaller tournies) and one of them should be 120 and under.

~yael

Hi Yael,

I didn't mean any harm at all, I am a fan of yours. I really enjoyed watching you fight but Yael, 3 people at Joslin's and 4 people at GQ which probably had 1,000 competitors.. Are you arguing "for" or "against" having a lighter division?

I met you at the NAGA World's this year. You fought one of my students at least 5 times. You placed 1st in white belt and 2nd in the blue belt and above division and I think the cut off was 130lbs. So you obviously don't have a problem fighting against that weight.

I am just talking about logistics. It is hard for a promoter to justify having a separate division for 3 people.

But... And a big but.. If it means getting more people involved in the sport than I am all for it. Maybe like that line from a terrible Kevin Costner film "Build it and they will come". Maybe the reason I haven't seen lighter fighters is because they haven't had a venue.

Mark is a professional guy, I am sure whatever he decides, it will work out to being a great tournament.

Hope to see you there..

Take care,

Pete.

ttt

Hi Everyone.

To address the issue of womens weight classes at the GTA. The decision was made to determine weights at the event for two reasons: 1) the number of attendees is difficult to predict and 2) we want to encourage all female competitors to attend, regardless of size.

With only three categories the weight range is enormous, especially from a percentage of body weight perspective. A girl at 100 lbs vs a girl 130 is enormous and frankly unfair; we intend on keeping the females athletes interest in mind when determining classes enuring everyone get their monies worth.

I have been involved in the sport of wrestling for over 20 years and seen female wrestling grow from its infancy. In the early years, this was done when the numbers were low in order to address logistical issues for the draw, also liability concerns and most inmportantly the to maximize the participation and involvement of newer athletes. In the future, as the womens numbers increase divisions will be instituted. This is a great time for female grapplers and we encourage everyone to get involved to help promote the sport!

Myself and my crew who will be running the tournament have many years of experience with events of much greater size and I can assure you that this will be the BEST run event you have ever been involved in. We will see you all there and I would be happy to address any comments or concern anyone might have.

See you all there!

GC
Kombat Arts Training Academy

PS below is a hotel located minutes from the venue.

Hotel - Holiday Inn
100 BRITANNIA ROAD EAST
MISSISSAUGA, ON, L4Z 2G1

Driving Directions
HWY 401 & HWY 10 (HURONTARIO STREET) SOUTHEAST 1 BLOCK. HOTEL IS LOCATED THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF HWY 10 & BRITANNIA ROAD EAST.

Jiuchik is correct. She's woman, she's light, she competes. Instead of telling her some dude's experience, realize she is the scene, and listen to her.

I know other women won't be coming just because no weight classes were announced. But, they are looking forward to Showdown, Joslins, and all the Quebec tournies that will have classes announced.

(Even if it's just a gesture given the size of attendance, it seems to be an important one).

Best wishes for a great event!

Jiuchick and rene r. are correct. This logic is upsetting. If Wagnney knew that Yael was even considering competing in this event he would be upset. I am aware of several women who don't compete for this reason. I think more women will show up to compete if you have more weight classes. Then on the day of competition if there are still too few, you can ask them if they will except the merging of weight classes. The advantage to this approach is that the women will have already prepared to compete and be at the venue. I will be supporting this event whole heartedly. I hope we get a huge turnout. I just happen to disagree on this one point.

TTT for a great tournament!!!

I don't disagree with your arguments. However, I am having difficulty undersstanding your logic. So I pose a question, more for my understanding being new to the scene and all....How do set weight classes alter one's approach to competition and why would a an athlete who loves the sport not want to compete just because of this approach?

This , for the time being, is not the world championships but rather a Canadian event designed to get athletes experience and involved in high level competition.

I know that I encourage my female athletes (wrestlers)to compete as often as possible (to a point) and trust me when I say my women compete virtually every weekend regardless of the type of draw. Experience is a key to a competitors future success. If one wants experience but lacks the events to gain it, I would think one would jump at the chance when such opportunities do arise.

The only angle I can figure is that with set weight classes a female will know if she is at the top of the weight class or at the bottom ahead of time. However, ones weight should NOT be the determining factor of an athletes success, rather every other attribute (I.e. strength, speed, SKILL!! etc.)and thats the logic in setting it up this way. In a perfect world this would not even be an issue, however as I stated earlier this sport is relatively new for women and the numbers do not compare to mens. In the future ,when the numbers jutify it, the range of weight classes should equal those of the mens, but in the meantime we must make due and be as fair as possible.

Please keep in mind I take into consideration all your thoughts, ideas, criticism etc...You are the present and future of the sport. If changes are necessary to improve future events please be assured they will be made. So I welcome all your input...both positive and negative.

Cheers,

GC
Kombat Arts Training Academy