Most underrated fighters in MMA history

Pro Ice - 

There are a lot of fighters that get love and recognition here but are relatively unknown to newer fans like Vovchanchyn, Pele, Ruas, Bustamante, Sakurai, Sato, Uno, Zinoviev

Like many have mentioned Mezger's very underrated great stand up decent ground. fought some of the very best and was a threat to beat everyone of them

So many underatted / under appreciated, here's a few others that I think really deserve mention

Tyoshi Kohsaka = One of the best resume's ever (Fedor, Couture, Rutten, F Shamrock list goes on) - great grappler - was in almost every fight

Masakatsu Funaki = JMMA pioneer  - did more for the sport than most realise - great ground subbmission game - how good he could've done in prime really a ?

Kiyoshi Tamura = Great grappling - First to defeat a Gracie (Gracie's accepted) - drew prime F Shamrock

Mitsuhiro Kanehara = One of the best fighters with a losing record - - great grappler - some very legit wins in his prime - tremendous heart - left everything in the ring

Kazuo Takahashi = Great resume - could hang with the very best - always came for war

Mamoru Yamaguchi = Pioneer first ever shooto 125 & 135 champion - very well rounded could ko or submit

Daisuke Nakamura = Incredible ground skills - 15 + armlock/bars subs 3 flying = most in mma competition i believe

Kazuo Misaki = Been mentioned - great resume - could hang with the best - always comes to FIGHT

Allan Goes = Great ground skills - intense - arguably beat 3 of the GOAT 

'Macaco' Jorge Patino = Vale Tudo legend - won a title 18 yrs into career - came to fight

Johill de Oliveira = V/T, Luta Livre legend - 1st to beat Pele - won 4-5 v/t tournaments - only 3 losses (Wallid, Pele) before accident in Pride and eye injury

Vitor Ribeirio 'Shaolin' - Shooto champion - one of the best 155ers for years - incredible ground game

Marcus Aurelio = 21-10 w 18 finishes - one of the best 155ers at one point- half loses are arguable - never finshed in 30 + fights

Alexander Nogueira 'Pequeno' = Great resume - arguably the best 140lb in the world for years - arguably the best guillotine ever in 'mma'

Volk Han = Incredible grappling - proved he could hang with the best in mma at 40 yrs old

Mikhail Avetisyan = Russian mma pioneer - won 1st 32 man tourny - one of the best leg lockers ever

Amar Suloev = Great striking great throws - could hang with the very best

Mikhail Illoukhine = Great grappler - won 4-5 no rules tournaments

Dave Menne = UFC champion - great resume - could hang with the best - always came to fight - tremendous heart

Carlos Newton = Mentioned - UFC champion - great ground game - fought and beat some of the very best in his prime

Ronald Juhn - Stephan Palling - Ray Cooper - Falinko Vitale are some Hawaiians that deserve mention these guys all fought some of the best in the world and where all threats to beat anyone of them in their prime - all warriors

Didn't mean to go overboard, guys just keep coming to mind

awesome list. i know it's probably getting old but i hope you don't mind getting voted up again ;)

Thanks man

On my list I have Mikhail Avetisyan and Mikhail Illoukhine descrptions swapped

Illoukhine = Russian mma pioner - won first 32 man tourny - one of best leg lockers ever in 'mma

Avetisyan = Great grappler - won 4-5 no rules tournaments - aguably beat Vovchanchyn 

Edited: Have to add Yuki Kondo and Masanori Suda

Pro Ice - 

There are a lot of fighters that get love and recognition here but are relatively unknown to newer fans like Vovchanchyn, Pele, Ruas, Bustamante, Sakurai, Sato, Uno, Zinoviev

Like many have mentioned Mezger's very underrated great stand up decent ground. fought some of the very best and was a threat to beat everyone of them

So many underatted / under appreciated, here's a few others that I think really deserve mention

Tyoshi Kohsaka = One of the best resume's ever (Fedor, Couture, Rutten, F Shamrock list goes on) - great grappler - was in almost every fight

Masakatsu Funaki = JMMA pioneer  - did more for the sport than most realise - great ground subbmission game - how good he could've done in prime really a ?

Kiyoshi Tamura = Great grappling - First to defeat a Gracie (Gracie's accepted) - drew prime F Shamrock

Mitsuhiro Kanehara = One of the best fighters with a losing record - - great grappler - some very legit wins in his prime - tremendous heart - left everything in the ring

Kazuo Takahashi = Great resume - could hang with the very best - always came for war

Mamoru Yamaguchi = Pioneer first ever shooto 125 & 135 champion - very well rounded could ko or submit

Daisuke Nakamura = Incredible ground skills - 15 + armlock/bars subs 3 flying = most in mma competition i believe

Kazuo Misaki = Been mentioned - great resume - could hang with the best - always comes to FIGHT

'Macaco' Jorge Patino = Vale Tudo legend - won a title 18 yrs into career - came to fight

Johill de Oliveira = V/T, Luta Livre legend - 1st to beat Pele - won 4-5 v/t tournaments - only 3 losses (Wallid, Pele) before accident in Pride and eye injury

Vitor Ribeirio 'Shaolin' - Shooto champion - one of the best 155ers for years - incredible ground game

Marcus Aurelio = 21-10 w 18 finishes - one of the best 155ers at one point- half loses are arguable - never finshed in 30 + fights

Alexander Nogueira 'Pequeno' = Great resume - arguably the best 140lb in the world for years - arguably the best guillotine ever in 'mma'

Volk Han = Incredible grappling - proved he could hang with the best in mma at 40 yrs old

Mikhail Avetisyan = Russian mma pioneer - won 1st 32 man tourny - one of the best leg lockers ever

Dave Menne = UFC champion - great resume - could hang with the best - always came to fight - tremendous heart

Carlos Newton = Mentioned - UFC champion - great ground game - fought and beat some of the very best in his prime

Ronald Juhn - Stephan Palling - Ray Cooper - Falinko Vitale are some Hawaiians that deserve mention these guys all fought some of the best in the world and where all threats to beat anyone of them in their prime - all warriors

great list!

Pro Ice -

Great post. Pro Ice is easily a top 3 poster on the underground. Phone Post

Zinoviev for sure, also Mezger Phone Post

I would say probably Mikey Burnett is the guy I think about when it comes to potential we never really got to see fully reached. Matt Serra seems to get horribly written off by a lot of people who seem to otherwise know quite a bit about the sport. Phone Post

Spencer Fisher
Jeremy Horn
Stephan Bonnar Phone Post

Frank Mir

Akira Shoji

Fujita was always a tough fight for anyone

Hideo Tokoro doesn't get the respect he deserves

And of course MATSUI!!! Phone Post

searched the thread and nobody has mentioned Lee Murray

i'd say he'd be a candidate for most underrated, or some such thing... KO'd tito in a street fight afterall...

took anderson silva to a decision also... even with a loss that's a feat i'd say most couldn't do...

Tom Lawlor - 

Akira Shoji

yeah Fujita for sure should be on this list. his fight with ken shamrock is still one of my all time favorites.

Pro Ice -

Great list. Kohsaka was ultra tough too, like in his fight with Mark Hunt. Carlos Newton definitely is underrated too. Phone Post

Bailx -
Tom Lawlor -  Akira Shoji

yeah Fujita for sure should be on this list. his fight with ken shamrock is still one of my all time favorites.

Fujita was also the first person to have Fedor In serious trouble Phone Post

Ken shamrock and I'm being absolutely serious. In his prime roided up state no one can stop his ground and pound.
-first American pancrase champion
-first UFC super champ
-beat the crap put of Bas 3 times

There's an old video of Ken fighting in kick boxing as well. He was seriously legit Phone Post

Vladimir Matyushenko Phone Post

Dave Terrell Phone Post

Hendo Phone Post

2buff - 

Ken shamrock and I'm being absolutely serious. In his prime roided up state no one can stop his ground and pound.
-first UFC super champ

There's an old video of Ken fighting in kick boxing as well. He was seriously legit Phone Post

at one time he was my favorite fighter...

ultimate fighter kind of ruined that though (although after the loss to franklin he was essentially done... jump started franklins career though)...

remember the ULTIMATE Lion's Den PPV back in 99-00? I haven't seen it since then, I'm going to have to try and dig that up lol ;)

Bailx -
2buff -  Ken shamrock and I'm being absolutely serious. In his prime roided up state no one can stop his ground and pound.
-first UFC super champ

at one time he was my favorite fighter...

ultimate fighter kind of ruined that though (although after the loss to franklin he was essentially done... jump started franklins career though)...

remember the ULTIMATE Lion's Den PPV back in 99-00? I haven't seen it since then, I'm going to have to try and dig that up lol ;)

Jerry bohlander,guy mezger,frank shamrock, Pete Williams, ken shamrock. WHat fight team could beat these guys? These guys were simply the best at that time period! Phone Post

So I searched for "underrated fighter" and this was surprisingly the most recent result. Nope, no real reason for bumping it other than it occurs to me that Jake O'Brien is not just underrated, he's so underrated he never even gets mentioned. Ever. Didn't he only ever lose to Arlovski, Cain, Bones and Gegard? SOMEBODY TALK ABOUT JAKE O'BRIEN!!!