Mouthpiece during BJJ practice

DJLastCall - I chew gum while I'm rolling. No dental injuries in 3+ years of BJJ.

I also only roll with the people at my gym that can roll with some measure of control. That dude that only has one speed, that's 85% strength/15% technique, and always has his ego on the mat...he doesn't get to roll with me.

I also don't wear a cup anymore. I find it keeps me from getting lazy with my hips.

That's interesting about the cup, how is it your lazy with hips with one? Phone Post

You chew gum on your mats? Dude. Not only gross and classless, but dangerous. You can't inhale a mouthpiece and choke on it. At least not easily. Phone Post

I never used to wear one and thought they were for fags until I recently chipped my teeth from a TIGHT gogoplata I got caught in. Phone Post

It has nothing to do with your training partners being idiots (although that doesn't help) sometimes shit happens. I always wear one and a cup, unless the odd time I forget them. I forgot my mouth guard once and rolled over a guys back and took a knee in the scramble to the chin and smashed my one front tooth in half and the other one got smashed out a bit to. So yea I always make sure its in now heh. 

KC007 - I do during rolling. I bit my partner's cheek/tongue too many times so I decided to wear one.

Dude, WTF?

Lol Phone Post

snowman95 - That's interesting about the cup, how is it your lazy with hips with one?

If someone is passing my guard, and I have a cup on, the cup prevents testicular injury, but since the boys are protected I don't really move my hips much. Conversely, without a cup, once someone begins passing a knee through I bail my hips out to protect the boys and that hip movement generally puts me in a better position than if I'd was able to take a knee ride over the cup.

DanHendersonsAsymetricSmile - 
I take it you don't compete, you should be ready to roll to any kind of guy.

Nope, I don't compete. I'm pretty content with who I am, and no longer feel the need to inflate my ego by besting others in competition. I'm an old man that uses BJJ to stay in shape. So, there's really no reason for me to roll with the meatheads and ego junkies, is there?

The fact that you'd even assert that point makes me think you're probably one of those type of meatheads that brings your ego on the mat for every sparring session, and doesn't get to roll with me.

UGCTT_Lloyd gave me my bluename -  I've seen teeth get chipped/knocked out due to accidental knees/elbows during rolls.

Better be safe than toothless.

This. Phone Post

I've spent too much f'n money at the dentist to not wear a mouthpiece.

If a normal-sized mouthguard is uncomfortable, try getting a kid's size. That's what I use.

I never used a mouthguard until I got kneed accidently in the chin by a spazzing newbie and practically bit my tongue off.

I wear one mostly to protect my cheeks from my teeth. I tend to get small cuts inside my mouth that turn into painful canker sores. A mouth guard protects that. Also it is more difficult to breathe so I use it to make training harder. In competitions I don't wear one. Phone Post

I did submission grappling for about 6 months, I chipped two teeth from people slamming their heads into my jaw, and had a knee violently inserted into my groin ending a training session.

Fixing teeth costs money...

And fuck, I bought a really nice and expensive compression Jaco cup/short thing with velcro straps before I got injured and had to quit. Never got to use it. Anyway so for me: cup is optional, mouthguard I consider an absolute necessity.

Also, if you're getting RNC'ed, or anything else that puts pressure on your jaw, it's useful to have some rubber in there so prevent teeth from grinding, I had to tap at times due to concerns with that.

I never wore one till I took a heavy, accidental knee to the mouth. To this day several years later I still have an increased sensitivity in that tooth, for example I can't bite into an apple, but am thakful I didn't loose it.

Strongly recomended unless you wanna look like Tank Abbott.

Ever since I was elbowed full force in the face and bit into my tongue during a BJJ class I now wear a mouthguard. Low level mma guys get elbowy when you sub them a lot. Phone Post

id like to say i always wear one But Id say about half the time but think u should

i wear a mouthguard, an accidental knee or elbow will make you wear one.

Mouthguard and cup are always a good idea. I mean, there's no reason NOT to wear either one.

Just don't mix them up, that's totally embarrassing.

Caught_clean - It has nothing to do with your training partners being idiots (although that doesn't help) sometimes shit happens. I always wear one and a cup, unless the odd time I forget them. I forgot my mouth guard once and rolled over a guys back and took a knee in the scramble to the chin and smashed my one front tooth in half and the other one got smashed out a bit to. So yea I always make sure its in now heh. 

Agreed.  Sometimes it's the people with the best technique that will crack your teeth.  Slow steady pressure will crack teeth.  It doesn't have to be a spazzy head to the mouth.

DanHendersonsAsymetricSmile - 
LOL, i just commented on it and you go full defensive mode on it, i never bring my ego to the mats, it takes the fun out of BJJ. Also lol at inflating your ego trough competition.

LOL @ you considering a differing opinion as "full defensive mode". I work full time and have a family. The few nights a week I teach the kids classes and train, that's enough for me. I don't need to give up a weekend to show people that I don't know just how good I've become at jiu jitsu.

Not everyone at my gym is a meathead. No one that ISNT a meathead ever reacts to those kind of statements as you did. I have no problem with athleticism, it's the ignorant assholes trying to collect arms in their own gym I can do without. The type that turns drills into sparring sessions, because they're too scared to actually spar for fear of "losing". There's only a couple of them at my gym anyway.

When I spar, it's not to collect arms, necks or ankles....it's to work out. If my sparring partner correctly defends a sub attempt, I'll move on to something else. I don't feel the need to "win" sparring matches.

Starting to get the idea, or still confused at why I roll?