Muay Thai Weekend Training Camp

Has anyone ever been to one of the outside all weekend training camps? I think there's one in Utah......

Just wondering what the training is like, lodging, etc.

who does one in Utah?

Master Chai had one through the Thai Boxing Assn. -- called the Oregon something or other?????

lol... I think?

The Oregon camp is in... Oregon. Silver Falls this year.

Lodging is campingish, with a cabin for a few and tents for most. Food is Thai. Mornings are cold, days are hot. A good time all in all with some quality people.

It's a whole lot of training.

My fault.... in hearing through the grapevine, I was told it was only called the Oregon camp, but was always held in Utah.

That's why I came here. For the real info.

Thanks.

BTW.... Have you been?

I have, but the details are a little bit foggy. The camp was my first time back in North America in two years, as I was in Asia.

I thought it would be a good idea to finally go to camp since it was technically on my way home (sort of) from Thailand, so I rationalized that it would save me some airfare, and I had been wanting to attend in the past. The problem was, I just couldn't get up for it. Everyone around me was really psyched to be there, and I felt like I was kind of a downer. I pretty much just wanted to see my family and friends, and ended up viewing it as another obstacle stopping me from being home. Everybody else was pumped to train 6 hours a day, but that had been my life for the past 6 months, and I was tired.

The food was good, but Thai. All I wanted at that point was a steak, or maybe a big burger. My body had most definitely not aclimatized to the cold nights, and the early morning training had me feeling near hypothermic. Plus, we trained in shoes, because the pavement was not even enough for barefoot, despite my many attempts. I ended up straining a knee as a result of the shoes.

That being said... it really is a great training experience. Greg Nelson is a fantastic clincher, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with him. He gave new insight on clinching techniques that I had learned in Thailand, and talked about different approaches to varying positions. It was great.

Leonard Trigg is also a boxing genius. Very approachable, soft spoken, and heavy hands. I learned a fair amount from him as well.

And of course Guro Dan. I think it was his 65th bday when I was there, and he was doing everything except the runs. He'd bike alongside us. The man is a veritable martial arts encyclopedia. Just so much knowledge, and great to chat with after training.

All-in-all, I think it is a decent experience if you are in the right mindset. Some of the people that attend are fighters, some are coaches, others are just starting out, so there is a fair mix. If you go, bring a notepad, because there is a lot to learn.