My Interview with Murilo Bustamante

I had the great honor of sitting down for several hours to talk with one of the greatest of all time and an idol of mine, Murilo Bustamante.

We covered his life and its intersection with many pivotal moments in the history of Jiu-Jitsu and MMA.

Please check out the article at BJJHistory.org.

I hope you enjoy.

Direct URL is Murilo Bustamante

7 Likes

The golden era.

2 Likes

I hope you enjoy.

1 Like

Amazing. I missed the Bustamante time period. Can anyone post or suggest some MMA fights or BJJ matches please?

1 Like

There are a ton. For some of the most important: MARS, Pentagon, 1991 Luta Livre vs BJJ Challenge and the Matt Lindland fight.

1 Like

And his Tom Erickson fight

2 Likes

Thanks. Now hopefully I can find them

I have faith.

You’re doing the lords work. Seriously great info for us old school guys. One question, did he have any comments on the Wallid/Royce match? Like did he think Wallid would just steamroll him, did he say Royce’s BJJ wasn’t good…anything?

2 Likes

Hey, Joe, Thanks as always. Please help me continue to get the word out.

We did talk about that event and match. The basics were that Murilo was not aware of Rorion’s trash talking in the American press and was genuinely surprised when I told him about it. They all wanted the match as it would be high visibility (they being Murilo, Sperry, Bitetti, etc.). Murilo was not very happy that Wallid was selected for the match and felt that Wallid was chosen because he was close friends with the event’s organizer. That was about it.

1 Like