my thoughts on royce

im not a big matt hughes fan but i am really rootin for matt on this one and its not just cause i have 50 bucks riding on it... i am surprised no one has commented on this (or maybe i didnt catch the thread that did) but royce has always come across to me as a very viscous and ignorant fighter.. my main point being people tapping and him not stopping and breaking the arm... i remember jason delucia's nasty break and thinking "wow...that was unnecessary" he clearly tapped way before royce broke it..he was like this in all his fights once he gets the sub and they tap he keeps crankin.. so if he gets a hold of matt is he gonna do the same ? or has he mellowed a bit now?

I don't think Jason's arm actually broke, and Jason actually had history with Royce (they had fought before).

If you meet Royce he is an incredibly nice guy

Do you know the full story behind the DeLucia saga?

Do you recall Ken Shamrock tapping, then trying to deny the tap and fight on?

At those early UFC's, folks didn't really understand the subs and after Ken trying to continue his fight, Royce would hold the subs on until the ref stopped him, to ensure that the victory was final.

i have actually heard he is a nice guy.. true enough i have heard outside the ring while meeting fans,doing seminars and things he is quite polite and nice but if my memory is even half correct he kept crankin on everyone he got the sub on not just jason..(aside from the first fight vs ken) where he tried to pretend he didnt tap.. which is probably part of the reason he cranked all the subs.. as for jason okay his probably didnt "break" but im positive he dislocated it, you can see it go on tape

Go to one of his seminars so he can crank one on you please.

"Go to one of his seminars so he can crank one on you please."

intelligent post really, i guess your upset at me cause i dont like royce's ring manners my suggestion is to stay off public forums if you dont like other peoples opinions... and yes if he returns to the island here i will go to his seminar.

"MMA is the only sport where it's okay to quit & it's NOT okay to take advantage of a referee's mistake (like missing shammy's tap). It speaks greatly to the dignity of the sport & it's participants. I'm completely serious."

i dont agree with that, i dont think its okay to quit in mma.. if your referring to the tap as quitting thats just a smart call... when someone breaks your arm or puts you to sleep the ref will stop the fight regardless so its better to tap before the damage is done.. in boxing and kickboxing you can not come out of the corner if your getting smashed and people usually dont blame you for not coming out.. or your corner can throw in the towel these are all acceptable ways of quitting.. these kind of things rarely happen in mma i would say they happen more so in boxing and kickboxing just my opinion though

Do you know the full story behind the DeLucia saga?

no i dont

Do you recall Ken Shamrock tapping, then trying to deny the tap and fight on?

yes i do

"At those early UFC's, folks didn't really understand the subs and after Ken trying to continue his fight, Royce would hold the subs on until the ref stopped him, to ensure that the victory was final. "

i can understand that to a point.... but when the ref is runnning over to stop the fight and your still crankin... i dont know.. seems very deliberate to me

also i know im bagging on royce a bit.. but didnt he pick street fights with people he can clearly smash to prove gracie jiu jitsu is dominant.. which reminds me there was a thread on here a few years back about some person him and robin beating someone up real bad... i dont remember the details about that at all

There is always a reason behind him holding onto the subs...the Delucia saga; Gerdeau bit him; etc. etc.

Royce seems to be a very nice guy from what I've heard.

"royce has always come across to me as a very viscous and ignorant fighter.. "

1) Viscous (it's viscious, by the way). Come on Tim, give me a break, the man is in a No Holds Barred cage fight with only two rules that carry only a $100 fine if they are broken. I would much rather fight only "sweet" and "nice" guys, but unfortunately they are few and far between in our sport. If a professional fighter isn't viscious, he probably doesn't have his head screwed on straight and is in jeopardy of being seriously injured.

2) Ignorant. Ignorant of what? Calculus, maybe; Astrology, possibly; GJJ/BJJ, fighting, health and nutrition, or life for that matter? No way! If he was ignorant of the things he was in the octagon to do then he wouldn't be doing such a good job.

Tim if you don't like the guy, that's fine, but c'mon give me a break...by the way 1.9.

Viscous (it's viscious, by the way). Come on Tim, give me a break, the man is in a No Holds Barred cage fight with only two rules that carry only a $100 fine if they are broken. I would much rather fight only "sweet" and "nice" guys, but unfortunately they are few and far between in our sport. If a professional fighter isn't viscious, he probably doesn't have his head screwed on straight and is in jeopardy of being seriously injured.

good point.. if the 100 fine is true...you never see that kind of things in todays fights though or maybe the reffing is better now?

Ignorant. Ignorant of what? Calculus, maybe; Astrology, possibly; GJJ/BJJ, fighting, health and nutrition, or life for that matter? No way! If he was ignorant of the things he was in the octagon to do then he wouldn't be doing such a good job.

fair enough.. i mean ignorant in the fact that most people have respect for their opponent and dont want to see them seriously injured.. i think this sport is not as viscious (thank you for the spelling lesson) as what people think it is.. i think its one of the most respectful sports out there i think you can be viscious but controlled at the same time and i also think the more talented you are the more controlled you are.. unnecessary in my opinion but your right i dont know the full story behind every fight

"Tim if you don't like the guy, that's fine, but c'mon give me a break...by the way 1.9."

lol.... im seriously not trolling.... why is it so hard to believe that im not a royce fan.. ill still go to his seminars, look at him with awe like he is a god and try and be his best friend but i dont really like him that much..

Fair enough; I might be a bit biased though, I'm a huge Royce fan; saw my first UFC at the tender age of 9 (UFC I) and chose Royce before his first fight to win while my dad and brother chose Shammy.

The spelling lesson was free this time...(for both of us...I had to look it up, just looked funny the way you spelled it).

Control does come with professionalism but I think that Royce purposely held the submissions that you mentioned due to events that one would have to have prior knowledge of before making an accurate statement.

Not hating on you though; I see where you are coming from.

It's "vicious," BTW.

LOL @ "The spelling lesson was free this time"

You got your money's worth.