Name all the gyms around PHX AZ

I am trying to see if there is one reasonably priced location that does jiu-jitsu, muay thai, judo or submission wrestling. Anyone know of one?

Nucular Jiu-Jitsu on Elliot & McClintock.

Nuclear Jiujitsu = best bang for the buck!!

So they are going to be doing Judo and Muay Thai along with the exceptional jujitsu teaching of Santino DiFranco?

So they are going to be doing Judo and Muay Thai along with the exceptional jujitsu teaching of Santino DiFranco?

brausa acadamy on mclintock and university. arizona combat sports on broadway and mclintock. lenninger dojo in phoenix( i think). Nucular Jiu-Jitsu on Elliot & McClintock.

I don't know if they will accept just anyone, but I am 100% sure the only true place to learn how to fight is Marrerro Combat Academy on 24 th st and Thomas. The rest are just pretenders.

American Martial Arts Center 714 West Dunlap Rd Phoenix Az 85021 602-319-0797

"GrappleGirl"

Marrero, is that the relson affiliate?

if so, nate is the f'ing man. nicest guy i've met and super technical guys there.

American Pankration at the ASU rec center is a great organization. They do submission, wrestling, and kickboxing. Jeff Funicello the instructor has been there for over 13 years and is a Olympic Trials Qualifier in Greco Roman.

ttt

The list I am posting was done by someone else, and from the looks of it took some work to do. Sorry I don't remember who did it(stewedowl?).

ARIZONA BJJ, JUDO, GRAPPLING, MUAY THAI, & MMA SCHOOLS (F.A.Q. ver. 1.3)

Please update me if there are any changes / additions, including any contact points for smaller training groups or garage training groups, as well as any schools/TAs outside the Phoenix area.

CENTRAL PHOENIX:

Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Training Association, 3048 N. 24th Street, Phoenix, AZ ) - (www.defendu.com) (between Thomas and Osborne - Purple Belt Instructors Nathan Zigler, Brad Parker, Heath Wiggington and Val Larralde. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Relson Gracie. (602) 321-6544. Based in Phoenix Grappling Center (see below) -

Phoenix Grappling Center (www.phoenixgrappling.com), 3048 N. 24th Street, Phoenix, Arizona - Judo Training under Dr. Walter Vanhelder (a 7th Dan student of Anton Geesink); 4th Dan Wayne Miller, 1st Dan Val Larralde (also a purple belt under Relson Gracie, above); Adult and Junior Judo programs. 602-667-3633 or email wvanhelder@hotmail.com

Christophe Leininger (www.leiningerdojo.com) 500 E. Dunlap, Ste A, Phoenix (602) 996-3828; Christophe is a UFC veteran (3 and 14) and Judo / European Jiu-Jitsu black belt with numerous championships. Classes in Olympic Judo (both adults and kids classes), NHB/Submission Grappling/BJJ, Muay Thai under Mr. V. Lalor and Mr. R. Rose, Women's Jiu Jitsu, also Ed Parker Kenpo Karate, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Tae Kwon Do. (Michele "GrappleGirl" Farrow and her husband Dusty instruct there).

NORTHWEST VALLEY:

Jerry Laurita Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy - 18631 N. 19th Ave., #166, Phoenix, (19th Ave. and Union Hills)(ArizonaBlackBelt.com) black belt Jerry Laurita - Joe Moreira Affiliate, strong competition team, offers kid's classes too. (Chronic_Choke trains there)

Forum member Darrell Parrish (a Rage in the Cage veteran) teaches a class a few days a week at 35th Avenue and Greenway including some Sundays. For more info, email him at parrishbjj@hotmail.com - moving to a new location soon (as of 8/5/03), can also call him at 623-204-7419.

Corona Martial Arts Academy, 4343 W. Bell Rd., (Fry's Shopping Center), Phoenix, AZ, (602) 978-2191. Korean martial arts under Ken Corona, with ground fighting classes taught by Chris Lopez (see listing for his school under Chandler listings) (www.hwarangdoaz.com/cmaa/)

Northwest Phoenix Community Center, 23rd Avenue and Beardsley (near intersection of I-17 and the 101) - per Chronic_Choke has some martial arts programs, including some grappling (I think, someone on the forum mentioned training there) - I'll see if I can hunt up some more info.

Mahato Karate School - Steve Hochuli (Rigan Machado purple belt, trains with Brad Holmes) - 3515 W. Union Hills Dr., #114B, Glendale, AZ - 35th Avenue and Union Hills, teaches BJJ gi and no-gi, and kickboxing.

Savage-Te Dog Pound - ? - Glendale Avenue - Not sure if they are still active...

TEMPE:
Arizona Combat Sports - (www.azcombatsports.com), BJJ under black belt Gustavo Dantes (Nova Uniao) 2x Mundial champion, Abu Dhabi vet. Trevor Lally (Shooto, King of the Cage, Abu Dhabi vet) teaches Pankration and kickboxing classes. Well-regarded school, strong competition team. 225 W. University Dr., Suite 109, Tempe, (480) 517-1960.

BraUSA Academy, (www.rageinthecage.com) 1932 E, University Drive, Tempe, Arizona, (480) 446-8127 - Roland Sarria, (Rage in the Cage Promoter), BJJ, MMA, Muay Thai under Master Bob Karmel, heavy MMA emphasis - - now affiliated with Rey Diogo, Carlson Gracie team.

Absolute Martial Arts - Tom Proctor - ( www.absolutefighter.com ) - BJJ Pedro Sauer Affiliate, Boxing, Muay Thai (Fairtex Affiliate). 1155 W. 23rd St., Tempe - just south of Broadway and east of Priest in the Tempe Industrial Center (BJJ under Arthur Ruff and Tom Proctor, Muay Thai, & Boxing, live-in camp) - 480-967-6170

Ruffhouse Jiu-Jitsu (www.ruffhousejiujitsu.us ) - Black Belt Arthur Ruff (under Rodrigo Medeiros / Carlson Gracie team): 929 E. Juanita, Mesa - Just south of the I-60 on Stapley, turn west on Inverness, turn south on Solomon, turn west on Juanita - - (480) 892-3668.

ASU Hybrid Martial Arts Pankration Club, ( www.vendettaonline.net/martial_arts.html ) taught by Jeff Funicello. $125/semester or $60/month - 2 classes on Tuesday, 2 on Thursday, 1700 - 1800 and 2130 - 2300. Upper Gym A in ASU Student Recreation Complex. (Jon "The Predator" Levinson trained there),

Arizona State University (ASU) Judo Club - open to all students, faculty, and staff at ASU; classes Tues & Thurs 1700-1800 (Summer hours: 1600 - 1800), Student Recreation Complex, Small Gym A, ASU Main Campus, Tempe. Instructors Peter Renik, Eric Udell. Info: Diane Boudreau, e-mail dianeb@asu.edu, (480) 965-7260.

The System (Systema) - Russian Martial Arts (ASU Club): I didn't know this existed and ran across it while doing a web search for this FAQ, there's some interest in it so I'll include it here for students attending ASU - Club president is Denis Dmitriyev, advisor is Peter Renik, for info e-mail denis.dmitriyev@asu.edu.

I've heard of an ASU BJJ club but don't have any contacts points - anyone know?

MESA:
RCJ Machado Affiliate in Mesa - Chief Instructors Marshall Hunter and Greg Holmes at Arizona Fitness (health club), 1837 W. Guadalupe #112, Mesa, Arizona (480) 345-1243, Greg also teaches karate and yoga classes there - Sunshine Fethkeller was teaching Muay Thai there, too, last I heard.

NORTHEAST VALLEY:

Wellington "Megaton" Diaz - (www.teammegaton.com) - Black belt, Abu Dhabi veteran 4x Mundials medallist, 4x Panams medallist, strong judo background as well as BJJ, numerous championships Rickson Gracie Affiliate. New location: 10880 North 32nd St., Suite 27, Phoenix (close to Highway 51) (602) 841-9779.

Jiu Jitsu Gracie -, Cesar Gracie Affiliate Mark Zee (black belt under Cesar), (602) 299-4909, 32nd St. and Thunderbird, northwest corner in the Kino Plaza Suite C3-2.

Cannon Fighting Systems, 16627 N. Cave Creek Road (between Bell and Greenway), (602) 569-9319 - Bill Cameron - NHB, BJJ, Kickboxing.

Goshin Karate and Judo, 6245 E. Bell Road, #120, Scottsdale, Arizona, (480) 951-2236 - Instructors Mike and Cathy Anderson - Primarily oriented to children and family classes, does offer separate Judo classes. Not MMA-oriented. (www28.addr.com/~wazamanaz/goshin/welcome.html)

Scottsdale Martial Arts Center - 9151 E. Bell Rd., Scottsdale, AZ (480) 951-2716, (www.azwado.com). Traditional martial arts styles include Karate, Wushu, Wing Tsun, aerobic kickboxing, Aikido, Hapkido; also offers separate Muay Thai classes Tues and Thursday nights 2030 to 2130, taught by Vince Perez-Mazzola, an instructor under Dan Inosanto.

YMCA reportedly runs some Judo programs, including one at Cactus High School (per Chronic_Choke) but I can't find anything on the furschlugginer YMCA website. If you're interested, call the main YMCA number and see what you can find out.

CHANDLER / GILBERT / SOUTHEAST VALLEY:
Chris Lopez, purple belt under Gustavo Dantes, teaches at "Indomitable Spirit Martial Arts" on Alma School and Germann (1965 S. Alma School #3, Chandler, AZ), on the northeast corner behind Walgreens, 480-855-3545.

CHANDLER / GILBERT / SOUTHEAST VALLEY:
Chris Lopez, purple belt under Gustavo Dantes, teaches at "Indomitable Spirit Martial Arts" on Alma School and Germann (1965 S. Alma School #3, Chandler, AZ), on the northeast corner behind Walgreens, 480-855-3545.

Genesis Jiu Jitsu and Vale Tudo, (formerly Sanchez Jiu Jitsu and Vale Tudo) - 3002 N. Arizona Ave (corner of Arizona Avenue and Elliot), Suite 10, Chandler, AZ, next door to "Apollo's Gym"; 602-373-4BJJ or esbjj@hotmail.com -Edward Sanchez, brown belt under Ricco Rodriguez. Membership includes free membership at Apollo's (free weights, Hammer and Cybex machines, cardio kickboxing, personal training, etc.)

KarateAZ - 1515 W. San Angelo Street, Suite B, Gilbert, AZ; (480) 820-8656, e-mail chuck@aauaz.com for info. Judo classes under 5th Dan Thomas V. Palen, and 4th Dan Tawni McBee. Judo classes Mon, Wednesday & Friday nights, 1800 - 2000. Also offers traditional Japanese Shotokan Karate and Aikido classes. (www.karateaz.com)

CASA GRANDE

Arizona Punishment (formerly Asher Combat Academy), Wrestling coaches: Andy Montana and R.J. Gamez; Grappling Coaches Roger Meija and Carlos Ortega; Boxing Coach Dave Johnson; Promoter/Manager Adolph Sanchez. POC is adolph@cgmailbox.com or vlucero1123@yahoo.com)

TUCSON

DeBrazil Jiu-Jitsu, 920 S. Warren Ave., Suite 113, Tucson, AZ - (www.debraziljiujitsu.com) - Instructor Martin H. Escobar, (520) 440-4264. Rey Diogo / Carlson Gracie affiliate. Never been there, I hear its a great school.

Ultima Martial Arts - (www.theultima.com) - Instructor Charles Allen, (520) 744-4591, Pedro Sauer affiliate

Tucson Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Instructor Demetrio Ramos, Rodrigo Medieros Affiliate, 970 E. 9th St., Tucson, AZ, (909) 397-0712.

PAYSON:

There is reportedly a branch of the Lion's Den here owned and operated by Lead Instructor Eric Nyenhuis, telephone number 928-468-LION.

FLAGSTAFF
NAU (Northern Arizona University) Judo club: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/naujudo/

BOXING:

There is a LOT of boxing talent and coaching in Arizona. Much of it is club-based, often operating out of backyard gyms and rings (some of which, although privately owned, would put many commercial gyms to shame). For links/contacts at Arizona boxing gyms, go to:

www3.sk.sympatico.ca/hubcit/arizonaboxingclubs.html

or:

www.boxinghelp.com/arizona.html

or:

www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/arizona.htm

Some I can recommend are:

Blue Corner Boxing Club - 85 E. Frye Rd., Chandler (480) 963-8960

Rodriguez Boxing Club - 1350 W. Roosevelt St., Phoenix (602) 256-2103

Chronic_Choke recommended Madison Street Gym and Club SAR.

JUDO:

In addition to the schools listed above, here are links to other smaller clubs:

www.judoinfo.com/clubusa.htm#arizona

LauritaBJJ website is
ArizonaBlackbelt.com

It's new, but not much on it yet.

add the Arizona Jiu-jitsu acadamy to casa grande.
they teach mma nhb etc there. owned by carlos ortega

American Martial Arts Center 714 West Dunlap Rd 602-319-0797

Owned by me & my Husband.

"GrappleGirl"

Ray Elbe, is Mark Kerr going to be the wrestling coach?

Relson Gracie Jiu Jitsu Training Association's Nate Ziegler is a brown belt under relson.