Nate Diaz vs Leon Edwards agree 262

I hope Nate gets a serious payday. 209 gotta scrap. It would be bonkers if he wins. 

WaltJ -
Sir Psycho Sexy -

So surprised Nate took this fight. Leon isn't a big name. This is a great opportunity for Leon to get some exposure to the casuals. Nate never usually takes fights like this.

Exactly what I came by to say.  I think Nate is going to lose this handily.  Zero marquee value in it.  Not a good call by his management on this one.

This. odd fight. Thought leon wanted a title shot? Diaz wanted pay day fights? 

I'll watch it.

Wondering why Nate took this one for sure. My guess is the matchmaking was not solely based on what’s best for Diaz. He may have had to compromise. It could be DFW rewarding Edwards for being a good soldier and waiting in line. He’ll make good money fighting Nate if he gets ppv points action.

There’s potentially a pretty clear title road map for Usman, Masvidal, Covington, and possibly Thompson at the moment. So, reward Edwards with a money maker in the meantime.

And while there‘s big money in rematches with Masvidal and Conor, Nate’s been out for a minute and matchmaking had to keep moving. He prolly has to take this to get those lined up. Masvidal is tied up chasing gold and a Conor rematch may be on hold due to Conor wanting to avenge the loss to Dustin.  

1 Like

Nate at 170...?  

Can somehody give him a head’s up that his best win at 170 was against a 145’er…?

Leon is going to beat him up. But once again leon is making a decision that doesn't help get him his title shot. Beating up a 155er thats not even top 5 doesn't earn you a title shot. He shouldve fought wonderboy or someone like that. 

Meh, boring fight for Nate, going downhill!

Stu Cazzo -

Nate at 170...?  

Can somehody give him a head’s up that his best win at 170 was against a 145’er…?

Yeah tell that to his body, Nate is a WW and the older he gets the harder 155 will be with his frame if he can even do it now.

Nate may not have the most impressive record at 170 but he didn’t have the greatest at 155 either

2 Likes

guess Leon is going for the money now. I don't blame him... not getting a title fight anytime soon. If nate goes in trying to box... which he will.. it might end early for him. 

What a dumb fight. Edwards by whatever he wants. 

1 Like
WaltJ - 
Sir Psycho Sexy -

So surprised Nate took this fight. Leon isn't a big name. This is a great opportunity for Leon to get some exposure to the casuals. Nate never usually takes fights like this.

Exactly what I came by to say.  I think Nate is going to lose this handily.  Zero marquee value in it.  Not a good call by his management on this one.

Nate was angling for bigger fights, and I think the UFC basically told him he has to get back in the cage against SOMEONE if he wants one of the bigger fights he’s been trying to get. They likely talked to him about options win or lose…like, if both Nate and Masvidal win, Nate fights Masvidal for the belt…if they both lose, Masvidal vs Nate also makes sense.

If Nate loses, the loser of Poirier vs Conor also could make sense…if Nate wins and Conor loses, they could still do Nate vs Conor.

I’m guessing that’s how this fight went down…“you’ll get PPV points along with a good payday for Leon, and win or lose you’ll get Masvidal, Conor or Poirier next depending on how those fights play out. Possibly even have you coach TUF opposite Masvidal prior to the rematch…but if you sit on the sidelines, we’ll likely do Colby vs Masvidal, and likely have other plans for the loser of Poirier/McGregor.”

Combine the above with Diaz being a big underdog, and not actually being expected to beat Leon, it’s not that big of a deal if he loses…number 3 ranked guy in the world in a weight above where he competes…even with a loss there’s no real risk because he’ll have options at 155, or Masvidal after he gets smashed by Usman again.

2 Likes

Soooooo...what's the lightweight title fight?

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/nate-diaz-claps-back-at-conor-mcgregor-try-not-to-get-finished-again/

https://twitter.com/NateDiaz209/status/1377299974979866626?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1377299974979866626%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bjpenn.com%2Fmma-news%2Fufc%2Fnate-diaz-claps-back-at-conor-mcgregor-try-not-to-get-finished-again%2F

1 Like

The fight that Diaz is referencing is when he fought IFL veteran Rory Markham at UFC 111: GSP vs. Hardy in March 2011. Despite Markham coming in heavy at 177lbs, Diaz still took the fight and he ended up finishing a bigger opponent via first-round TKO. Instead of making a big deal about the weight switch, Diaz took the fight and did very well. McGregor, meanwhile, moved up to 170lbs on short notice when he first fought Diaz at UFC 196 in March 2016. That fight didn’t go well for McGregor, as he was submitted in the second round. Since then, McGregor has bounced back between 155lbs and 170lbs, though his upcoming fight against Poirier will take place in the UFC lightweight division once again.

1 Like
dinkledorf -

Fuck this I hope they pay Nate. 

You think he’d even roll over in bed if they weren’t?

1 Like

Leon by TKO. Easy call.

Try not to get finished again. Nate’s a funny sob sometimes. Lol

1 Like

Nate, just like his brother, will pop shot edwards to death for a round and a half then start landing precision striking with power only when he needs it.

Nate takes this.