Need knee injury advice

OK here's the quick version: Completely tore my right acl in June. I had a patella tendon graft in July. I started getting pain a few weeks ago, I had an MRI and the doc said I partially tore the acl again (about 50% of the way). He said that without surgery one of two things would happen. 1. The pain might stop but i'd still have half an acl and always be in danger of tearing it. 2. The pain may never go away and i'll still have only half an acl.

Or, I can have the knee fixed again. If I get a new graft (I have to choose hamstring or cadaver) the knee will be much stronger than the best I can hope for without the surgery

So do I have the surgery or shoot the dice? I am about sure i'm gonna get the surgery, b/c the way I see it my knee will be stronger than the strongest it can be without it. Doc said to shoot the dice b/c the pain may stop and it may not tear after. I'm pretty athletic and i don't want to train and compete worrying about when my 1/2 ACL is gonna snap.

What do you guys think?

I agree, if you continue to train I am sure you will rupture it at an inopportune time, I would do it electively.

I have had 3 ACL recons. on my left knee. 1986, 1992 and again in 2001. I can tell you from experience that the pain will never go away. I had my first one when I was 16 and I am now 34. The pain and numbness has never gone away since the first one. I will always have limited motion ie. I cannot fully extend or bend my knee. I still train and I work hard at trying to keep it strong. I would have the surgery again. Do the cadaver. The last thing you need is to have 2 bad wheels. I did the cadaver thing for my last one. Anyway, goodluck and GIVE IT SOME TIME TO HEAL COMPLETELY BEFORE!!! YOU TRAIN AGAIN!!!!!! I know it is tough to not train if that is what you want to do with all your heart. But, trust my it will help in the long run.

ttt