New Forum Idea...

Change is hard. You’ll never get consensus. People will complain as if nothing in life matters more than whenever they are bitching about. Losers who have never been able to hold a job and support themselves will speak with authority on why your decisions are terrible.

rip the bandaid off and do it. It’s time.

will check out the new site.

8 Likes

So we keep join dates

1 Like

This new user trust thing is bad. It will scare new users away. The avg age here is already 60+

6 Likes

In..,

Have you ever done a poll to see how many users use the App v how many use desktop? 

I’ve always used the app on IPad and to be honest, never had many issues. Love the look of it and wouldn’t like to see it change in appearance. But whatever you do, make sure you look into both App & Desktop compatibility, as I think it’s a pretty even spread who use this 

3 Likes

But yeah definitely time for a change. This thing is just falling apart

1 Like
Ghengiseanie - 

So we keep join dates

yes

In 

Dreville79 - 

Have you ever done a poll to see how many users use the App v how many use desktop? 

I’ve always used the app on IPad and to be honest, never had many issues. Love the look of it and wouldn’t like to see it change in appearance. But whatever you do, make sure you look into both App & Desktop compatibility, as I think it’s a pretty even spread who use this 

I think we have two options. The first is the DiscourseHub app. It lets you enter any URL for a discourse forum, login, and away you go. The other option would be to rebuild our existing app but drive it from Discourse's API. So basically stay the same, just with a different data source and authentication.

OtherGrooundDropIn -
bullybull -

Can we still call people faggots? Will I be able to send HD dick pics via pm? I've assumed Kirik has been secretly enjoying them for years, your welcome. Please don't take us somewhere ghey with silly rules please. For all the tears around here, were only alive because of the freedom vs Reddit and the other over moderated sites. 

Sup bully!  Hopefully your threads transfer, they are awesome.

Thanks brother. 

Chris -
bullybull - 

Is there a way to transfer old threads? I have my main thread on TehOG that would be a pain in the ass to transfer and start over. I just registered, set me up Kirik and Chris, thanks brothers. 

we absolutely would migrate all the users and old threads / replies.

Thanks for the quick response brother. 

Chris -
bullybull - 

Can we still call people faggots? Will I be able to send HD dick pics via pm? I've assumed Kirik has been secretly enjoying them for years, your welcome. Please don't take us somewhere ghey with silly rules please. For all the tears around here, were only alive because of the freedom vs Reddit and the other over moderated sites. 

this is just a software platform. we make the rules.

Not that my opinion matters but I would gladly lose my thread if it guarantees social freedoms on the new site. Everything else is important but the best part of this forum is the freedom to not be ruled over with strong hands. Thanks for everything. 

Chris -
bullybull - 

Is there a way to transfer old threads? I have my main thread on TehOG that would be a pain in the ass to transfer and start over. I just registered, set me up Kirik and Chris, thanks brothers. 

we absolutely would migrate all the users and old threads / replies.

Oooh was about to say no way anyone is gonna give up their ‘01 names, they’re just too damn used to quoting people and saying “join date”

I like the idea, I suggested it yeeeears ago and think it would solve a lot of our problems. I also don’t used the framed version though.

sorry for poor english

When were you when UG Is die?

I was quarantine with COViD

'UG is kill'

'No'

And you?????????????

2 Likes

1) Can we keep our content? All posts and threads? 

1. Will our join dates remain? 

2. Will there be an App?

4) What will pro cost?

Chris -
Dreville79 - 

I think we have two options. The first is the DiscourseHub app. It lets you enter any URL for a discourse forum, login, and away you go. The other option would be to rebuild our existing app but drive it from Discourse's API. So basically stay the same, just with a different data source and authentication.

The second of those definitely sounds preferable. I think a lot of us on here are middle aged and don’t much enjoy some of the new forum formats out there, Reddit and the like just completely lose the community vibe this has. Wouldn’t want that compromised with a new look forum 

1 Like
Slydawg -

2. Will there be an App?

4) What will pro cost?

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Hopefully

4) ???

Slydawg -

2. Will there be an App?

4) What will pro cost?

1) yes

2) yes

3) yes

4) Pro membership wont really be a thing anymore. Read up on the trust level from OP

1 Like
Chris -
After years of UG suggestions that we migrate the forum to a pre-built solution, Kirik and I are seriously evaluating the idea. Our existing custom forum is expensive to maintain, feature-poor, and not easy to moderate and grow. Further, the framed version is built with 20 years old, dead-language code. It has to be supported by a virtual machine that can no longer run security updates without breaking the site.

We have used many forums through the years and like a lot of you, we still use frames every day. Migrating away from something that some of our community has used for over twenty years is not a decision we would take lightly.
After a deep dive into a large number of forum solutions, our frontrunner is Discourse. It is super feature-rich forum and runs on a hosted platform. It has an enormous community of developers.

When you look at the features, it has everything anyone has ever asked we add to this forum:

It also is built on a trust system whereby new members have to earn features by being a positive, contributing member: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

We are by no means wedded to this solution. We hope to get feedback from you, our members. Towards that end, we invite everyone to sign up and give this candidate a test drive.

If we can come to a consensus that this is the best thing moving forward, we would work to migrate this forum, all our users, all your threads, and all your replies going back to since ever to this new solution.

We have setup a sandbox at https://discuss.mixedmartialarts.com, you can sign up right now and your account will be approved quickly. You can try to create a post, reply to post, view the forums by latest or top, look at profile pages, create polls, add rich media content, get notifications through your browser and/or email, and a very great deal more.

Please leave any feedback, bad or good, here and let’s see what happens.

![](upload://ujYxzWlWDKib0Fli4E05xtrwj8S.gif)

I think I might be one of thew weird guys who defaults to viewing a combined forum (UG and OG topics in the same list) vs. looking at them separately.