New Forum Idea...

Tits. Can we post tits?

In. 

LiveWire - 
yusul - 

does discourse have a frames mode? one where you can scroll down one side but maintain the current thread? if not, are there ones that do? i'd find it hard to believe that the og is the only frames forum in existence. 

Literally, the only thing I care about. If they can maintain that feature, everything else is icing.

+1

how long how long does it take to get an approval email?

I like the idea of its more secure and has less crashes. 

So we would all start where? Level 3?

Luke Rockhard -

how long how long does it take to get an approval email?

This.

Dark mode is awesome.

1 Like
Chris -
bullybull - 

Is there a way to transfer old threads? I have my main thread on TehOG that would be a pain in the ass to transfer and start over. I just registered, set me up Kirik and Chris, thanks brothers. 

we absolutely would migrate all the users and old threads / replies.

All current users are grandfathered in the merit system ? Except 10ers....those fucks should go back to the beginning. Not because they are bad anymore but for shits and giggles...

2 Likes

Would it show members previous screen name(s)?  Members changing screen names loses a lot of the past.   We need to be able to see who they have interacted with for the last 20 years.   This history is a very important aspect to the forum.    

2 Likes

Subbed for later 

well that fuckin sucks

As much as I love the frame forum, change is needed!! I stopped buying BLUE’s over it. I’m all in Chris 

Just as long as the android app still works, and maybe fix the ignore function so it actually ignores that person, and I am open to anything.

Anything.

1 Like
ShanTheMan - 

Just as long as the android app still works, and maybe fix the ignore function so it actually ignores that person, and I am open to anything.

Anything.

ignore function will work completely:

![](upload://7s9PdAUswjkqVJOFcVM60G5oSS2.png)

Agreed that moving to a commercially supported platform makes a lot of sense.

Platform development/coding is not needed to be a core competency of this site. It isn’t your product, or driving your revenue, but it is pricey. Better to find a clean coded, supported platform with a developer community where ideally it is a) more stable, b) more up to date, c) less expensive to manage and support . It is mostly surprising how long the site has fought to keep it in house and roll your own rather than outsource the underlying system to a firm that solely does platforms as their product.

The whole question of how to manage/measure reputation has vexed internet sites since the web showed up in the 90s. This site has itself seen folk gaming vote based systems, with more popular posters organizing mobs to troll and down vote certain targetted users. If I recall a conversation with one of the designers of SIMS Online back in the day, even that game’s attemp to have a reputation system led to little gangs/mobs of griefers to form that would extort other players and threaten group action to destroy their standing and trigger automated punitive system effects. This site historically had been full of trolls (some of the more popular members could be included in that category like OMA and Luke Beston who owned up to purposefully being one was even made a mod) I’d pay attention to how a voting/reputation system could be abused and make sure you had safeguards to a) detect such abuse and b) crack down on the abusers.

I’d also ask why the push of the non-framed UI if so many still prefer the framed version of the site even after all these years. Regardless if going for a commercial solution saves money while also providing a more secure, more stable and more feature rich site, it seems like its all good. I’m curious what % of site revenues come from ad sales vs pro-memberships, but that is idle curiosity.

Good luck in work to keep the site healthy for the foreseeable future.

Chris - 
ShanTheMan - 

Anything.

It must, you didn't answer my question...not even the serious part of it...

Chris -
ShanTheMan - 

Anything.

Right on. Not to complain, but as it stands now it still shows their threads etc. Glad you guys are taking steps to be better. Xoxo

RhinoHog:

There are two options for the app. Discourse makes Discourse Hub which lets you load any discourse installation for a seemless mobile app use. Option two would be rebuilding the existing to app to user the API from discourse to drive the data, login, etc.

Option 1 works immediately, Option 2 will take a little work and time.

Chris -

RhinoHog:

There are two options for the app. Discourse makes Discourse Hub which lets you load any discourse installation for a seemless mobile app use. Option two would be rebuilding the existing to app to user the API from discourse to drive the data, login, etc.

Option 1 works immediately, Option 2 will take a little work and time.

Option 1 then, please.