new UFC game is horrible

orcus -  "Western fighting games have never been good w/ the exception of Mortal Kombat 2 and Weapon Lord really"

lol @ trying to lump Fight Night and UFC in with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The first two are fighting simulations, the latter are just bizarre hand-eye coordination and button-memorization contests that happen to use human figures onscreen to show the results. Japanese "fighting" games have nothing whatsoever to do with attempting to model a fight. You might as well compare Ghost Recon with Heavy Barrel or Falcon 2.0 with Xevious.
No, no they're not-- stop aping the PR monkey bullshit.

Fight Night and UFC aren't fighting simulators in the least. Just because they're based off of realistic licenses don't make them realistic. By that logic, the Need for Speed series is just as much of a sim in their genre as well. The closet we have to a fighting simulator STILL is Virtua Fighter and even that is fairly arcadey when it comes down to it.

These new license driven boxing and MMA games aren't the least bit realistic in any sense of the word. They're casual gamer button mashers, nothing more, nothing less. Play more games in the genre and get a clue before you make yourself appear even worse, please.

Lastly, there's nothing "bizarre" about having good hand/eye coordination for a game. The last I checked for videogames, we called that having "skill". Something lacking more and more as the medium becomes further and further watered down mainstream. I mean, god forbid that you actually have to TIME your movements and think of a strategy on what you're doing before you even do it gasp.

Maybe you should learn how to play the genre first. Then comment. How bout that?

I agree with the post about Shogun/Chuck. If I can be amused for weeks with just those two, I'll have tons of fun with MATT 'Tha Terra' SERRA!

KahL - 
orcus -  "Western fighting games have never been good w/ the exception of Mortal Kombat 2 and Weapon Lord really"

lol @ trying to lump Fight Night and UFC in with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The first two are fighting simulations, the latter are just bizarre hand-eye coordination and button-memorization contests that happen to use human figures onscreen to show the results. Japanese "fighting" games have nothing whatsoever to do with attempting to model a fight. You might as well compare Ghost Recon with Heavy Barrel or Falcon 2.0 with Xevious.

Fight Night and UFC aren't fighting simulators in the least. Just because they're based off of realistic licenses don't make them realistic. By that logic, the Need for Speed series is just as much of a sim in their genre as well. The closet we have to a fighting simulator STILL is Virtua Fighter and even that is fairly arcadey when it comes down to it.

These new license driven boxing and MMA games aren't the least bit realistic in any sense of the word. They're casual gamer button mashers, nothing more, nothing less. Play more games in the genre and get a clue before you make yourself appear even worse, please.

Lastly, there's nothing "bizarre" about having good hand/eye coordination for a game. The last I checked for videogames, we called that having "skill". Something lacking more and more as the medium becomes further and further watered down mainstream. I mean, god forbid that you actually have to TIME your movements and think of a strategy on what you're doing before you even do it gasp.

Maybe you should learn how to play the genre first. Then comment. How bout that?

butters up some popcorn and prepares anxiously for round 2 of nerd war

opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions opinions  

keghead - 
KahL - 

Adds some salt with the butter

lol @ "casual gamer"

pees in your mana pool

KahL - No, no they're not-- stop aping the PR monkey bullshit.

holy shit you fucking nerd, unless your career involves video games in some way no one should care that much about video games... you probably dont even have the full retail version of the game  so do us a favor  & shut the fuck up, harry potter - seriously no one gives a shit if you dont like it you stupid asshole, thats why its YOUR opinion

tons of people love it and tons of people will buy it and play it all day long, cry somewhere else

KahL - 
keghead - 
KahL - 

Adds some salt with the butter

Eats a meat rich diet and adds some Salty Buttery Goodness from the pump between his legs, TUF style

According to the UG, UFC throwdown was a good game. I bought it, played it for 30 minutes and never touched it again.

I don't expect the new game to be any good

According to the UG, UFC throwdown was a good game. I bought it, played it for 30 minutes and never touched it again.

I only play Yie Ar Kung Fu.

southsidesti - 
KahL - No, no they're not-- stop aping the PR monkey bullshit.

holy shit you fucking nerd, unless your career involves video games in some way no one should care that much about video games... you probably dont even have the full retail version of the game  so do us a favor  & shut the fuck up, harry potter - seriously no one gives a shit if you dont like it you stupid asshole, thats why its YOUR opinion

tons of people love it and tons of people will buy it and play it all day long, cry somewhere else

1. Career does involve game development among other things= STFU

2. Who are you to say no one should care that much about insert hobby here? No one should care about MMA that much either, right? Or cars, or comic books, football or about film. Essentially, everyone has a hobby that they love strongly= once again, STFU.

Pot, meet kettle...

3. Tons of people liking something doesn't equate to it being good. In fact usually the more amounts of people tend to like something, the worse it turns out to be. Which is what we call in our industry "mass market"- low quality, polished, easily-accessible products for the casual masses to enjoy. See current state of hip hop, video games, summer "popcorn" movies, etc. etc.

Either way, assumptions equal what again....?

Oh, that's right. shuttin' the fuck up.

^ it's saturday night, take a big bong rip and relax. you both are taking out your anger of NOT having a woman in yer life on each other... and it's coming out it the form of a NERD WAR over a VIDEO GAME.

My only concern is lag during online matches. A couple of the reviews mentioned that there was some lag, but not enough to hurt the gameplay... any opinions on that?

funk samurai - According to the UG, UFC throwdown was a good game. I bought it, played it for 30 minutes and never touched it again.

lol

Soxx - My only concern is lag during online matches. A couple of the reviews mentioned that there was some lag, but not enough to hurt the gameplay... any opinions on that?

Network lag/latency always hurts a game online, especially fighting games. However, considering that this game:

A- doesn't contain precise control response to begin with
B- is more of a casual rock 'em sock 'em mash fest

...the lag doesn't hurt it as much. Better fighting games like Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter and Tekken suffer the most from latency problems mostly due to the fact that they're very responsive games. Lag of any sort severely inhibits those games for the better players and good gameplay of any sort, really.

However, considering that online play for fighting games and this UFC game together are merely for shit n' giggles, I don't think it's a huge problem in its favor.

Interesting. I get it on Tuesday. The career mode sold me on it, showing there's some long term play value. I'm actually paying for it too with money I earned, which might also blow the minds of you hardcore gamers who have already downloaded a copy with Bulgarian subtitles or some shit.

Mydogsnameischloe -

Not a bitter douche bag at all.....

not a troll at all.. VTFD faggot

"The closet we have to a fighting simulator STILL is Virtua Fighter and even that is fairly arcadey when it comes down to it."

Really? So the strategies and attacks in Virtua Fighter resemble those of real fights? Stamina is important, attacking too much gasses you out, a heavy puncher is neutralized when he's on his back, you have to defend yourself or the ref will stop the fight, etc?

"
Fight Night and UFC aren't fighting simulators in the least"

Of course they are. They are attempting to represent real fights. Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Street Fighter, attempt to represent nothing except maybe ridiculous battles from anime and kung fu movies. They are at best simulations of stylized simulations of fights.

lol @ your  claim that FN and UFC are button mashing games with no skill for casual players. I guess you can probably beat the best players at each then, right? Funny, the top guys in FN3 had records of like 1500-150. Kind of hard to get a ratio like that if it's just button mashing and luck, don't you think?