New Vitor Belfort Interview

Boxinginsider.com: Will you give Randy Couture a rematch?

Vitor Belfort: For sure. Right now theyre talking with me about that. & My goal was to fight Couture. If I wineven Couture & because Couture went to Japan and challenged Pride to fight for the beltso he did all this promotion. So I think it would have been very good for the sport. I would like to get a chance [to fight against Pride champion, Wanderlei Silva] and also to give Randy a rematch. I think this would be awesome. I think all the fans would be very interested to see those fights.

Boxinginsider.com: What made Randy Couture come out on the Internet last weekend and start bashing you? Randy was saying that you werent going to step up for a rematch. I guess he was looking for an immediate rematch? Randy was saying that you werent stepping up and going to give him a rematch. He was pretty vocal about it.

Vitor Belfort: Yes, because Randy said he would have beaten me. I know for sure that Randy would have wanted Wanderlei. Thats his main goal. Giving him a rematch would be very, very welcome, but I have to look out for my career, not for his career. He wants a rematch very badly because he came off from two good wins and then he lost to me. I think hes frustrated right now. He wants the belt again. He deserves it, but I think he needs to understand that I am looking for the best for me right now. The best for Vitor is the [Pride] title, because if I beat Wanderlei, I will hold the title. I am looking for my best interests and the best interests for mixed martial arts. For sure my fight against Wanderlei will be a much, much bigger job than me and Randy Couture again.

Read the full interview at:

http://www.boxinginsider.com/mma/stories/79661155.php

My respect for Vitor is dwindling rapidly.

For God's sake, act like you won from a weird cut from an inaccurate punch, and stop acting like you dominated the guy.

"Giving him a rematch would be very, very welcome, but I have to look out for my career, not for his career."

This sounds even worse than Tito's speech after beating Shammy at UFC 40.

"Giving him a rematch would be very, very welcome, but"

That right there contradicts what you interpreted, Freeman.

If you can't see what Vitor's doing, you're blind.

"Randy WILL get the rematch that he DESERVES. If you can't see that then you're blind. "

Yeah, or Vitor will be stripped.

Character is everything; I'm sure you were backing Tito while he was hurting MMA immensely with his delay tactics...

I can also assure you I'm not crying. Thanks for the concern though.

Wow, I'm surprised at that, but either way we should have a "Unification Match" with Pride this year...

3.2 on the troll meter, Johnny.

Nice try, but no cigar.

PRIDE's not going to send Silva to UFC.

+

Dana is definitey not going to send Vitor to PRIDE.

=
Randy vs Vitor as soon as Vitor decides he's ready.

"My respect for Vitor is dwindling rapidly.
For God's sake, act like you won from a weird cut from an inaccurate punch, and stop acting like you dominated the guy. "

I totally agree.

a couple you guys are tards.He obviously wants to fight Silva, but he is prepared to fight whoever Dana tells him to fight.if thats Randy next, then Silva, or vice versa, he will be ready to go.and whoever said "If Randy won the same way he would want Silva, not a rematch with Vitor" was 100% correct and no one would be complaining about it like they are here

Vitor is full of crap! First off Dana is done with Pride. So Vitor v Silva is not going to happen. My prediction is that Vitor will hold out on signing the fight with Couture and will eventually get stripped. Vitor step!

Vitor won fair and square...  it was solid punch that cut Randy.  Guys like Tito, Hughes, etc. go for cuts all the time.  Vitor happened to do it with a punch.  IMO total victory... 

Vitor is all class, and the most humble champion the UFC has had in years.

I look forward to both of these fights.

Vitor probably didn't think it was a "win" at the time (post fight) b/c he is an emotional flake (no offense Vitor).  Add to that, the facts such as his sister was missing, he was fighting for the championship belt, he wins in less than a minute, the arena (which is probably pro-Couture) boos like a madhouse, and a guy is pressing you for rematch... that is a pretty crazy time and you can say a lot of things under duress.  I'm sure many people  here can attest to saying something they didn't want to say (alah, "I didn't want to win this way").  I mean he won the belt yet he's being booed by the crowd.  IMO he just wanted to make the booing stop and appease the crowd.

Of course that is my observation and Vitor could have been thinking something else but IMO Vitor was goaded into saying like the win wasn't a really win...

" because Couture went to Japan and challenged Pride to fight for the belt Soo "HE" did all this promotion"

Sounds to me that Randy did all the work to get a Pride/UFC unification match.

"Thats what Dana spoke to me about before I signed the fight. He said, "Vitor, if you beat Randy you will fight Wanderlei again".

This would assume that Randy was successful at negotiating a unification fight and that Vitor just happened into a very unique situation. Maybe Randy convinced Pride into this unification match and fully and confidently thought he would beat Vitor.But alas now Vitor gets to pick up where Randy's work left off. More of a fluke than any of us could have imagined.

But as a big fan and having much respeact for Vitor I must also add " I will do whatever UFC wants me to do. I mean I am under contract with them, but I would like to get a shot at Wanderei."

That last quote would imply that the "immediate" rematch would rest in the hands of UFC and not Vitor.

Unify the title???? It is not like he needs to go outside the UFC to find THE match that will unify the title. How about Vitor nut up and fight like a man to cement the UFC championship before moving to Pride???? I like how in the interview he says how much work Randy did to pave the way for a fight with Wanderlei, that is right Vitor he did all the work. Give him a rematch then go to Japan. I swear this guy lives in his own world.

Vitor should fight Couture and Silva should fight Arona. After that Belfort and Arona should wear they gi and unify titles in sport Bjj match.
:-D