'Next Jon Jones' Simeon Powell Quit Mechanic Job To Pursue MMA Dreams

https://www.mmanews.com/interviews/simeon-powell-quit-job-pursue-mma-

Powell has been praised in Europe as ‘the next Jon Jones’.dreams-exclusive

PFL Europe light heavyweight contender Simeon Powell’s big gamble has paid off massively.

Powell is 8-0 in his professional MMA career with his professional debut coming just two years ago. He is on the fast track in the PFL after the Challenger Series product won three straight in the league since April 2022.

The 24-year-old Powell has a unique skill set and has been compared to all-time great light heavyweights like Jon Jones. He could potentially make the move to the UFC after some more experience in the PFL.

While Powell continues his rise, he’s quickly improving his overall game, especially since he’s now undistracted by his part-time gig.

In an interview with MMANews, Powell spoke about his path to fully immersing himself in fighting.

“I was a mechanic’s apprentice, working all throughout the week,” Powell said. "I couldn’t train as long or as much as I wanted to…so I quit, told my family, and they were super supportive. My Mom had her concerns, she wanted me to focus on getting a degree, but she knew I wanted this. Now, I’m 8-0 and on the path to fight for a world title.
Powell then elaborated on what’s changed since he took a leap of faith and put his full-time focus on MMA.

“Bills are paid [now], I eat, sleep, and train. I’m truly blessed,” Powell admitted. “Everything with PFL Europe and my career has lined up perfectly for me over the last year.”

Powell will face Abdellah Er-Ramy at PFL Europe 3 later this month on September 30th. A win will clinch his spot in the PFL Europe Championships in Dublin, Ireland.
Powell also admitted that his now former boss, and co-workers, reacted positively when he told them the news of his resignation. They follow his fighting career closely as he continues to grow his stock.

Powell could potentially enter the PFL’s $1 million tournament next year after his impressive run in Europe. One of the most hyped prospects in recent UK MMA history, he’s looking forward to making the most of his newfound time and opportunities.

I guess his parents have no idea what “simian” means…

1 Like

Lol

https://www.mmanews.com/interviews/simeon-powell-offered-pfl-season-doping-controversy-exclusive