Nicest and meanest fighters you have met in person

Nicest: Hendo, Mayhem, Pulver, Pat Barry. But nearly every fighter I've met was cool as fuck.

There were no 'mean' ones, but I will vouch for Randy being kind of a diva. Phone Post

Brock doesn't belong in this century.

Personally I've never met any but a friend of mine met GSP and Rory and the whole crew at Tristar at the time a while ago

said they were amazing to him and chatted it up and took pictures.

Sub for more stories Phone Post

Tim Sylvia was a prick back around UFC 79 when I met him.
Everyone else i have met has been super cool...including BLAF and Diaz brothers. Phone Post

Hector Lomard wanted to beat my ass for no reason once..

Nicest: Vitor

Biggest asshat: Hughes

I died and met Frank Mir aka the Devil in Hell

Nice guy actually Phone Post

Trained and rolled with Semtex this weekend...awesome guy, really humble believe it or not.
Took pictures and rolled with everyone, asked lots of questions from blackbelts to Blue on techniques he liked and thought applicable.

Not who you would think he would be like at all.

Rolled with a ton of fighters, NU guys are all pretty humble and put the gi on.

I would bet most unpleasant meetings are from cutting weight or alcohol related

Only major pro fighter I've met is Melvin Manhoef few days before his fight at One FC in March. Funny, chilled out and nice guy!

I wanted to say hi and shake hands with Zoro Moreira, Rafael Dos Anjos and Aoki when I went to an Evolve open workout session, but I assumed they'd be a bit stuffed and would prefer to rest. So I just took random photos and left lol.

Nicest- Tim mckenzie, quinton Jackson, ken shamrock, nick Diaz

Biggest dicks- frank Mir and Kevin randleman Phone Post

The nicest fighters I've met are Bigfoot, JZ Cavalcante and Dan Henderson. Phone Post

Only met a few. Trained a little bit with Manny Gamburyan when I was in LA a few years back and was a real nice guy.
Rulon Gardner. Super nice guy. Ran into him in LA.
Top Australian kickboxer JohnWayne Parr. Awesome guy.
Big Nog, I must have rubbed him up the wrong way, did a seminar with him and he was pretty cold. Phone Post

ebersole was a cool guy. me him like 10 years ago

serra is cool, but only met him briefly at a bjj tourny

renzo is renzo

rodrigo gracie is damn funny, but i could see him not being nice if he didnt like you

dustin denes is cool, but again, i could see him not being cool (but that was like 15 years ago that i met him)

xande is cool as hell, i only met that dude briefly but could tell he is a very warm person.

im sure i met some other dudes over the years.

ebersole was the most easy going, cool to roll with, let you get him in real bad positions kind of guy

rodrigo will break you off. dude rolls for real even at seminars

also, pedro valente is the guy you want to go out to dinner with if you want to learn the helio gracie side of the family history

Mark Munoz was very cool when I met him.

Bas Rutten use to come to my dads mechanic shop back in 96 97 98. I remember as a kid my dad would always say good things about him. i met him a couple times as well. I think he drove a miata or something. He was the same way back then as he is now. ENergetic and funny from what i remember. I was just a kid but i could never forget his face though. My dad always talks him up everytime he sees him on tv and always says he is really funny and nice guy.

1 Like

I met Randy Couture in late November of 2006, and once again a couple of years later.  As a result, he is by default both the nicest and meanest fighter I've ever met.  Here's a post I put up on Sherdog after the first time I met him:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He came to my work to promote the Fight Network.

I didn't get nearly as much of a chance to talk to him as I'd hoped, since I had to work and there were several other people there also trying to get some time with him. However, I passed by a few times and got to have a few quick exchanges with him. I got him to sign the cover and inside slip of my UFC 44 DVD, as well as two of the standard photo autographs he was giving out (one for me, one for my wife). We got a couple of snapshots together (which I know better than to post here).

Random thoughts and tidbits:

-He's a really soft-spoken guy. He comes across as a real gentleman - exactly as I imagined he would.

-The man is big. I don't just mean his muscles: his bones are big. He doesn't have that large of a frame in that my shoulders are easily as wide as his (not nearly as muscular, though), but his wrists, hands, and such are just really really thick. I was looking at his elbows and thinking that I really did not want something like that coming down at my head while I'm pinned into a cage. Fighting Randy Couture must suck. My next thought was that Chuck Liddell must hit ridiculously hard to have been able to knock out that man on two occasions. Fighting Chuck Liddell must not be a lot of fun either.

-You have no idea how many times I had to explain to co-workers what cauliflower ears are. Everybody kept asking me what was up with his ears.

-Some of the women there really liked him. They thought he had rugged good looks. One woman touched his chest and abs and she went on about how solid it all was for some time.

-By the time Randy was about to leave, one guy there annoyed several people (especially Randy) by playing a really stupid joke on him. He told a joke that went along those lines: "Imagine there is a naked woman about a foot tall standing right in front of my face. Now close your eyes, and point at her head. Point at her feet. Point at her breasts. Now point at her pussy."  As soon as Randy pointed where the imaginary girl's happy place should have been, the other guy gave Randy's finger a quick suck.  Yeah, you read that correctly.  Randy made a disgusted sound, wiped his hand on his jeans, with his other hand clenched into a fist. He put on a tight smile, but he sat down looking visibly annoyed by the awkward situation. I said "man, I think you have a legitimate excuse to give this guy some ground 'n pound."  He gave no reply to that one, but I know the thought crossed his mind. Randy showed some class by not knocking this guy out for such an affront. Kudos to him.

Some words we exchanged:

------------------------------------------

(Note: This is the first time we met, and I'm wearing a Chute Boxe Wanderlei Silva shirt. The other Fight Network guy that was there noticed right away).

Fight Network Guy: "Hey man, nice shirt! Randy, you see this? What shirt is that?"
Randy: "That's a Wand shirt."
Me (a little later on): "By the way, the Wanderlei shirt's not meant as anything against you. It's just a 'support the sport' type thing."
Randy: "Yeah, I know. Don't worry about it. I've got one of those too."

(Note: A little later, on my way to the washroom. Also, I live in Montreal, so Randy got a number of GSP-related questions from a lot of people.  I was kind enough to bother him with one more).

Me: "Hey, when you were filming TUF4, did you roll with Georges St Pierre?"
Randy: "No, I didn't get a chance to roll with Georges. We did a lot of weight training routines and cardio and other workouts together, but we never actually rolled. I'm quite a bit larger than he is."
Me: "Yeah, but didn't you roll with BJ Penn?"
Randy: "That's right, I did roll with BJ. I didn't get to roll with Georges."

Me (as an off-hand comment made to another guy who was standing nearby): "Well, now I actually have an answer to the question 'who's the toughest guy you've ever met?' - Randy Couture!"
Randy (who misheard my comment and thought I asked him about his toughest opponent): "They were all tough guys. My toughest fight, though, was probably the first fight with Pedro Rizzo.... Man!" (Randy actually looked exhausted just thinking about that fight, his body slumped when he said "man").

Me: "Are you still on good terms with the Team Quest guys?"
Randy: "Yeah, Matt and I still run a gym together."
Me: "You think there's any chance we might see Matt in the UFC again soon?"
Randy: "I think there's a very good chance of that."
Me: "Really? That would be great! I think he's the guy who can take out Anderson."  (2012 note: Ah, the innocence of the youthful 2006 version of me)
Randy: "I agree."
Me: "You don't keep in touch with Evan Tanner, do you?"
Randy: "Well... I live in Vegas, and he lives in Vegas, but we've never seen each other since we've been here."
Me: "Yeah, he's looking kind of weird and scruffy these days."
Randy: "Yeah, he has that long beard thing happening."
Me: "I wonder if we'll see him fight again."
Randy: "I don't think Evan really likes fighting that much."
Me: "It's too bad. He's a good fighter."
Randy: "He's a great fighter."
Me: "Yeah. It just sucks that Rich Franklin's just a bad style for him."
Randy: "That's right."

(When he signed my copy of UFC 44)

Me: "I thought I'd get you to sign a great moment in history."
Randy: *chuckle*
Me: "Thank you for that, by the way." (referring of course to the beating of Tito Ortiz)
Randy (grinning slightly): "Oh, it was my pleasure."

Of course, I told him it was a great honour to meet him, and thanked him for being a great ambassador for the sport.

2 Likes

Was hanging out with Urijah Faber and some of his friends through of my cousin (who was there too) at a seafood joint in Orange county. He sees these young kids, maybe 10 or 11ish keep looking over and whispering - they are obvious fans but are too nervous to say anything.

This keeps going for a while. Urijah notices, gets up, walks over and introduces himself. Ends up hanging out with the kids chatting for a few minutes, signs autographs and comes back. Kids were super stoked.

That was pretty awesome Phone Post

2 Likes
Zed Wayne Zed - I got a cup of coffee from a coffee machine one time from Jake Shields, and he's a solid dude.

Was he also thick and tight?

2 Likes

cool thread and stories, keep them coming

4L