No Love Garbrandt Hospitalized with Vertigo Following 300

1 Like

Former UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt suffered a second-round submission loss to ex-flyweight titleholder Deiveson Figueiredo as part of their UFC 300 ā€œPrelimsā€ clash last weekend in Las Vegas, snapping a two-fight winning streak while failing to reclaim a spot in the division Top 15.

Turns out ā€œNo Loveā€ was fighting more than one battle on April 13.
ā€œI felt great in my fight until I started to experience vertigo,ā€ Garbrandt wrote on Twitter. ā€œI couldnā€™t control the spinning once it was to the ground. Hats off to Deiveson and his camp! I ended up going to the hospital where I was still experiencing the vertigo, throwing up until 4 a.m. Iā€™ll get this corrected. Iā€™ve dealt with vertigo since 2012. Thank you to the fans that came out to support. It wasnā€™t my night, but I love doing what I do. Iā€™ll be back in there before the year is up.ā€

Fans on social media insisted his post-fight revelation was ā€œnot a good look.ā€
ā€œNot a good look to say what happened to me in a fight by what I was experiencing? Itā€™s the truth, taking nothing from Deiveson,ā€ Garbrandt continued. You think I would just lay on my back not getting up whole time I was spinning not trying to get my face elbowed in and fighting through it. I felt the best in there, my heart was full laid it on the line and enjoyed myself in there. Of course Figgy is a great fighter honored to fight with him.ā€

Garbrandt, 32, has been knocked out four times in his professional MMA career and once on the amateur circuit. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is commonly associated with concussions and head trauma, which may raise questions about his ability to get licensed in future fights.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That would be horrible.
He shouldnā€™t be fighting any more tbh.

9 Likes

Let Me Bang The Ultimate Fighter GIF by UFC

1 Like

I was thinking he seemed a little off in the fight. Looked like a fish out of water on the ground.

1 Like

Good article on how Ruthless continued his career without sparing.

" When I was in Pride, I actually got hit and had vertigo and was just like, ā€˜I donā€™t need to spar for a bit.ā€™"

Vertigo stricken UFC champion Robbie Lawler once took six years off from sparring - MMAmania.com

4 Likes

I remember him mentioning heā€™d scaled back on sparring, but had no clue about the vertigo. Thatā€™s gotta be some scary shit for an occupation where spatial awareness is critical. My exā€™s mom had vertigo and I remember picking her up from work one time when she was experiencing symptoms and on the drive home she was panicking when we would be within 20 yards of another car thinking we were about to crash or something.

4 Likes

I remember thinking Cody was actually defending really well on the ground, almost got up a couple of times, and seemed relaxed. It just looked like Fig was better on the ground.

2 Likes

Vertigo is no joke.

First time I got it I was driving over a long bridge with no breakdown lanes, I thought I was having a seizure, dying or both.

It feels like those drunken bedspins but even worse.

7 Likes

I had it once after sparring but it was delayed by a whole day. So it basically came out of nowhere, not nice.

Itā€™s sth about some marble in the ear drum thatā€™s out of place. They way to fix it is to slowly swing your head from left to right. Took a few hours but then it was all good and I havenā€™t had it since.

Iā€™d imagine this is the shit professionals have to go through all the time. No thx.

4 Likes

I had an episode where it felt like I was walking on a pirate ship that got fucked by the movie Inception. Wasnā€™t spinning around.

I was hallucinating tho I think it was all connected

3 Likes

Cody should start a podcast, clothing line, and become a professional comedian.

1 Like

A gal I was banging had this. And nope, not dicking nor concussion related ha ha.

Cody is soooooo fast. If itā€™s fighting related, of course he should retire. Otherwise, let him bang! That dude entertains. I donā€™t recall ever watching the first bout of the prelims before the prelims, expect one time years ago when the brother of our coach was competing.

3 Likes

Side to side?!?!? I always tried to get rid of mine by head banging with a cucumber in my mouth
Jim Carrey What GIF by Laff

1 Like

I remember watching Izzyā€™s first UFC fight. Canā€™t remember if it was early prelim or prelim.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s weird

2 Likes

You donā€™t wanna know how my grandma taught me to get rid of hemorrhoids :grimacing:

Unfortunate for Cody. However putting it out there publicly will only raise issues with the commissions for getting another fight.

4 Likes